Job Ready Test Info

Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

odracir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Ready Test Info

Does anyone know when was this rule changed?

I don't know when the change below was made, but now genuinely unpaid work made for students IS NOT ANYMORE included in the limit of 20 hours per week.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...conditions.htm

Quote:
"If you are doing voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week if it:

* is of benefit to the community
* is for a non-profit organisation
* would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position), and
* is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received, – board and lodging acceptable)".

BEFORE the condition was:

"Work Entitlement
Students with Permission to Work

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when your course is in session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.
You cannot undertake work until you have started your course in Australia.

Note: Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week.
If you are doing voluntary or unpaid work you must apply for permission to work. It is included in the limit of 20 hours per week. A week begins on Monday and ends on the following Sunday."

Any ideas why this has changed?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

sofia16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
You know, thinking back, had I not found this forum before we came here, I would have believed what the agents told me, and they were saying it was a given that you would get to stay at the end of your course, as long as you were healthy, had no police record, and had done your 900 hours.
A couple of them even tried to get me to do courses that would never have given me PR.
So not everyone would have known the risks had they not found sites like this......

We all knew the cost of course, there is no point getting upset about that, or the work restrictions, even had the job have been removed from the skills list, we all knew (well those who didn't just believe their agents) that this could happen. We never expected that they would bring in new, near impossible for some of us, hoops to jump through, without a thought for those who wouldn't even have 12 months left on their 485 visas.

I think most of us assumed that any changes would be humane, or at least sensible.

The bit that REALLY pisses me off is THIS line off their website:

Recognising the difficulty that many applicants to TRA were having in gaining the 900 hours relevant work experience during the period of their student visa that was required under previous requirements, TRA has developed a new skills assessment program.

I HAVE the 900 hours, I had them before Jan 1st, but they shut their offices and would not accept application even if they got to them before Jan 1st! That is not the actions of an organisation who have changed things because they think people have been finding it hard! To try to tell me it is is a smack in the mouth!
So when we write a letter for them to make a complaint?Any volunteer?
I don't think I can ever find a full time job as a baker, my relatives are resident and Pr and it was hard to them to get a full time job so how could I? It seems to impossible to get a PR with this changes and totally agree it's ok if the changes concerns for new applicants but not someone who already here and spent a lot of money for all this shit.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odracir
Does anyone know when was this rule changed?

I don't know when the change below was made, but now genuinely unpaid work made for students IS NOT ANYMORE included in the limit of 20 hours per week.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...conditions.htm

Quote:
"If you are doing voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week if it:

* is of benefit to the community
* is for a non-profit organisation
* would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position), and
* is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received, – board and lodging acceptable)".

BEFORE the condition was:

"Work Entitlement
Students with Permission to Work

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when your course is in session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.
You cannot undertake work until you have started your course in Australia.

Note: Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week.
If you are doing voluntary or unpaid work you must apply for permission to work. It is included in the limit of 20 hours per week. A week begins on Monday and ends on the following Sunday."

Any ideas why this has changed?
Because the Federal Government decided it would change it and DIAC have to carry out the rules laid down by the Government.

I don't see the problem. You can work 20 hours a week paid and also now work in a voluntary capacity. It's an improvement on the old rules so who cares?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

odracir was not saying it was a problem, mearly asking if anyone knew when it changed. I would have cared had I got another year to go!

Actually, if it changed a while ago this would have been good to know as my hubbie would like to have done some work for meals on wheels, but couldn't. I had assumed they would inform students about changes to their visa conditions, obviously not. Never mind, they have lost out now.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Bit harsh reply Dorothy, was only asking when this changed. Possibly lots of students unaware of being able to now work as volunteers, and all information shared on the forum is a bonus.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you're referring to me? It wasn't harsh and it goes without saying that this forum and others like it are there to give information. I simply answered the question. I apologise if I didn't wrap it up in flowery paper but it was just a simple answer. Nothing more nothing less.

His final question was 'why had it changed'. I stand by my reply of 'who cares'. It's changed for the better, don't worry about the whys and wherefores. Save them for when things change for the worse.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Moneypenny, brain in neutral.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by tomar
Sorry Moneypenny, brain in neutral.
been there, done that.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomar
Bit harsh reply Dorothy, was only asking when this changed. Possibly lots of students unaware of being able to now work as volunteers, and all information shared on the forum is a bonus.
Excuse me? I don't believe I've posted in this thread, so have no idea what the hell you're on about. Would you mind quoting the post I was harsh in?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Excuse me? I don't believe I've posted in this thread, so have no idea what the hell you're on about. Would you mind quoting the post I was harsh in?
Chill hon, chill. T'was me pretending to be you I wasn't harsh either but I think it's all done and dusted now
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:12 am
Just Joined

spot123 is an unknown quantity at this point

With this new system in place im very confused, I have > 6 years experience outside australia in formwork carpentery, done > 15 months formwork carpentery in australia on a 417 visa. I want to get assessed as a carpenter so I can apply for 856 visa Employer sponsored visa, I have been told to get privately assessed by a TRA assessor costing 2000$, but am wondering has that all changed now
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

I'm also very confused by the job ready test. I've already been assessed by TRA and recieved an ARTC as an electrician. I'm looking to apply for Regional State sponsorship so do I need to go through the job ready test even though I've been working as an electrician here for over a year and am obviously job ready?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

Just look at the TRA website. They have FAQ's answered. The 6 month thing is a little more clear too.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...dyProgram.aspx

As part of the Provisional Skills Assessment, TRA requires evidence from applicants that during the two years that they have been in Australia on a student visa, they have undertaken work experience relevant to their qualification, in an established commercial operation in Australia1 using current industry standard equipment and industry endorsed processes. The evidence supplied by applicants will need to show that the applicant has demonstrated skills in a range of tasks and duties required for their occupation, as detailed in the respective Training Package. The period of this work experience should be equivalent to two days work a week for a minimum six month period. It may indeed have been completed more intensely in a shorter period of time. Work experience completed as part of an Australian qualification can be included where it meets the criteria above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1An established commercial operation in Australia is deemed to be a business registered in Australia which has had a positive revenue history for at least 12 months. Exceptional circumstances will be managed on a case by case basis.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

As part of the Provisional Skills Assessment, TRA requires evidence from applicants that during the two years that they have been in Australia on a student visa, they have undertaken work experience relevant to their qualification, in an established commercial operation in Australia1 using current industry standard equipment and industry endorsed processes.

I am on a working holiday visa. I have never studied in Australia or been on a student visa. Does the job ready test just affect people on student visas or does it apply to anyone who applies for an onshore visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.