Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Job likelihood in State Sponsored Occupations

Job likelihood in State Sponsored Occupations

Old May 10th 2006, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

gingerkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Job likelihood in State Sponsored Occupations

I have been spending a lot of time reading this very informative forum recently. Thanks to everyone for all the great info and advice.

I am in the process of migrating to South Australia, on a state territory sponsored visa. I have been sponsored by SA in my occupation of Welfare Worker (as this job is on the SA list of occupations "supposedly" in in demand in that state).

My problem is that when I look at the various job sites (ie DEWR) and employment agencies etc., I can't see very much at all in the way of welfare worker vacancies in South Australia.

I thought that if your occupation was on a state's STNI list then there would be plenty of vacancies to be found. Apparently not so.

The one vacancy I managed to spot recently online was for a Project Co-Ordinator working with disabled adults, in Mclaren Vale, Adelaide. I sent my resume but have heard nothing so far.

But my worry is that I will go out to SA and find welfare work jobs few and far between. Can anyone offer any advice or comments?
Old May 10th 2006, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job likelihood in State Sponsored Occupations

Originally Posted by gingerkitty
I have been spending a lot of time reading this very informative forum recently. Thanks to everyone for all the great info and advice.

I am in the process of migrating to South Australia, on a state territory sponsored visa. I have been sponsored by SA in my occupation of Welfare Worker (as this job is on the SA list of occupations "supposedly" in in demand in that state).

My problem is that when I look at the various job sites (ie DEWR) and employment agencies etc., I can't see very much at all in the way of welfare worker vacancies in South Australia.

I thought that if your occupation was on a state's STNI list then there would be plenty of vacancies to be found. Apparently not so.

The one vacancy I managed to spot recently online was for a Project Co-Ordinator working with disabled adults, in Mclaren Vale, Adelaide. I sent my resume but have heard nothing so far.

But my worry is that I will go out to SA and find welfare work jobs few and far between. Can anyone offer any advice or comments?

Have you seen this website http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits

The lovely peeps on there will be able to give you advice specific to South Australia
Old May 10th 2006, 8:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of other people fall for that one as well

G
Old May 10th 2006, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G

Old May 10th 2006, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

gingerkitty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Oh dear...... not looking good, huh?

But it still begs the question, why place an occupation (or occupations?) on the STNI list if there's not a goodly number of vacancies in that specific job type in that specific state? (I have seen quite a few welfare worker vacancies in NSW but alas that's no good to me.)

Wendy,
Thanks for the tip on the Adelaide site. Will check it out.
Old May 11th 2006, 6:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear...... not looking good, huh?

But it still begs the question, why place an occupation (or occupations?) on the STNI list if there's not a goodly number of vacancies in that specific job type in that specific state? (I have seen quite a few welfare worker vacancies in NSW but alas that's no good to me.)

Wendy,
Thanks for the tip on the Adelaide site. Will check it out.
There may be vacancies.

Remember that the state's list will mean the whole state and many of the skill shortages may be in remote places.

You may not really want to live in outback SA.

This seems especially applicable to SA/Adelaide. SA is mostly desert.

G