Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

I've arrived and now I'm going back to the UK

I've arrived and now I'm going back to the UK

Old Mar 6th 2002, 2:07 pm
Chris

Default Re: I've arrived and now I'm going back to the UK

"onlyme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > OK, OK so I worked it out wrong. I still have sod all savings. And I am not living
    > beyond my means. I know several people on the same wages as me and they say the
    > same thing. Only one holiday a year, in case u were wondering.

Well seek help from a financial advisor. If you weren't aware of an extra $17,000
coming in, I doubt I'd trust you to be good with saving money. Financial advisors can
be quite cheap, if all you are seeking is budgetary advice.

Chris

>
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 6th 2002, 2:36 pm
Chris

"onlyme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > anyone live in North Sydney or around the coast who has the same problem I do or am
    > I a one-off !!?? I don't want to move out west and I don't want to live in a broom
    > cupboard.
    >
    > Anyone recently moved to Sydney and is a one income earner with a wife and kid and
    > doesn't live in the sticks ? What's your story ? Am I spending too much on luxuries
    > such as food and rent and bills !? is someone stealing my money ??

Oi! You have to have *some* inkling of where $900 a week goes (after you pay
rent and tax).

Chris

>
    >
    >
    > --
    > Sandra
    >

Old Mar 6th 2002, 2:39 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We can't live other peoples incomes or really judge - I understand you may have a point Chris but do you live in North Sydney and have exactly the same circumstances as onlyme. I am quite worried about moving there and only having 80K - we are a family of four, and will have a substantial amount for a deposit but you still can't commit to much more than *3 salary calculation for mortgage purposes or rent. And long before I read 'onlyme's comments had concerns about the costs - I have friends/work colleagues in the area who confirm we will not live it up on 80K in North Sydney. We intend to move regardless but we are taking comments on board just so we have a balanced view on how tight it might be. I hope to be over in May and would enjoy the chance of having a beer with onlyme and family and getting an idea of the pitfalls of costs. We will be on a 457 Visa to start and in NSW will be expected to pay 4500 per annum per child for state schools - bit of a bite to start!
Old Mar 7th 2002, 2:05 am
Chris

"Sandra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > We can't live other peoples incomes or really judge - I understand you may have a
    > point Chris but do you live in North Sydney and have exactly the same circumstances
    > as onlyme.

North Sydney differs in that the property is expensive. Restaurants are probably more
expensive as well, but then he said he doesn't go out much. After taking rent and tax
out, $900 a week on two adults and an infant is fairly outrageous. Onlyme does not
sound like he really looks into his money, so its understandable that he finds all of
his money disappearing. If he wants to save more, it is obvious that he needs to
budget and change a few things in his spending habits (and he hasn't been budgeting
if he didn't know how much he was earning, or how much his rent cost). My mother's
the same way, as are a lot of people I know. As their wage grows, their savings do
not and I often hear people saying, "$xk isn't that much you know." It's because
people slowly adjust their spending habits, knowing that they have greater financial
freedom. Eventually that freedom disappears because they lock themselves into a
higher spending pattern.

> I am quite worried about moving there and only having 80K - we are a family of
    > four, and will have a substantial amount for a deposit but you still can't commit
    > to much more than *3 salary calculation for mortgage purposes or rent. And long
    > before I read 'onlyme's comments had concerns about the costs - I have friends/work
    > colleagues in the area who confirm we will not live it up on 80K in North Sydney.
    > We intend to move regardless but we are taking comments on board just so we have a
    > balanced view on how tight it might be. I hope to be over in May and would enjoy
    > the chance of having a beer with onlyme and family and getting an idea of the
    > pitfalls of costs. We will be on a 457 Visa to start and in NSW will be expected to
    > pay 4500 per annum per child for state schools - bit of a bite to start!

Good luck!

Chris

> --
    > Sandra
    >

Old Mar 8th 2002, 8:36 pm
Winnie

"sophia" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I understand that people need to know the good and bad about places but lets get
    > one thing straight AUSTRALIA IS NOT A SUNNIER VERSION OF THE UK!!! it is a
    > beautiful, harsh, wonderful place and arguing about the price of beans is totally
    > irrelevant when moving to the other side of the planet (in my humble opinion).
    >
    > Good luck to all of you potential migrants who are going for the right reasons and
    > will make a go of it when they arrive!

<round of applause>

We actually found a web site created by a Welsh family who emigrated to NZ, and ended
up going back to the UK. One of the reasons they cited for their discontent? There
were only two brands of baked beans commonly available. Oh, the horror!

Winnie xx

Old Mar 10th 2002, 9:36 pm
Nicki

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 02:08:44 +0000 (UTC), "Winnie"
<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    ><round of applause>
    >
    >We actually found a web site created by a Welsh family who emigrated to NZ, and
    >ended up going back to the UK. One of the reasons they cited for their discontent?
    >There were only two brands of baked beans commonly available. Oh, the horror!
    >
    >Winnie xx

Oh no!! Well, I wish I'd known that before I applied. I don't think I'll go now! ;o)

Winnie, can you remember what was the website called? I'd be interested to see it!

Thanks, Nicki.
--
(Remove SPAM from e-mail address to reply...)

Old Mar 10th 2002, 9:36 pm
Winnie

"Nicki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 02:08:44 +0000 (UTC), "Winnie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > ><round of applause>
    > >
    > >We actually found a web site created by a Welsh family who emigrated to
NZ,
    > >and ended up going back to the UK. One of the reasons they cited for
their
    > >discontent? There were only two brands of baked beans commonly available. Oh, the
    > >horror!
    > >
    > >Winnie xx
    >
    > Oh no!! Well, I wish I'd known that before I applied. I don't think I'll go
    > now! ;o)
    >
    > Winnie, can you remember what was the website called? I'd be interested to see it!
    >
    > Thanks, Nicki.

I can't flipping find it now, but I'm keeping an eye open and will share with the
group if I stumble across it again.

Cheers Winnie

Old Mar 19th 2002, 8:05 am
Steve

Default Baked Beans

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...6748/page2.htm

Cheers

Stevw

Old Mar 19th 2002, 8:37 pm
Winnie

Default Re: Baked Beans

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...6748/page2.htm
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Stevw

Hee! Thanks. Got to feel sorry for them really...

Cheers Winnie