Institute Of Migration - Post-grant

Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

murf80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Institute Of Migration - Post-grant

In my grant letter from DIAC was a recommendation to use the Institute of Migration as they offer cheap one-way flights with additional baggage allowance (40kgs).

After a few phone calls and emails to them, and the person responsible for flights to Melbourne, I'm seriously questioning whether I should use them. The fact they are recommended by DIAC meant I couldn't see a problem. What has arisen since includes:

Not being able to tell me the full flight itinerary (he found it when I talked him through it step by step!)

Not knowing whether Melbourne-time was hours ahead or behind the UK (he's the Australia rep don't forget )

His personal answerphone message that, rather than say 'Thankyou for calling the IOM, we can't answer...etc', simply says "Leave a message," in a style that suggests his face looked like when it was recorded.

These are all probably minor things, but I don't want to pay hundreds of pounds only to find that I haven't been booked on the flight, or he got confused between Melbourne and Malaga, or he forgot to mention the extra baggage so I can only take 20kgs etc.

Has anyone else used the IOM, as recommended by DIAC, and what was your experience like? I know in the end that if I'm not entirely sure then do something else, but I'm very curious of how anyone else fared.

Thanks
Murf
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:18 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Institute Of Migration - Post-grant

I think I remember someone here saying that Emirates was a 50kg allowance with a one way ticket.

Perhaps do a search.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Yes, and Cathay do one with 40kgs. But the IOM is hundreds of pounds cheaper. I think they make their savings on staff training(!) but I'd just like to know if anyone's had a smooth run using them.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all

I have not used any of these services, but googling for "Institute of Migration" did not bring me to any sensible page. The only sensible reference to IOM is for "International Organization for Migration", and they have a big warning for internet scams. Are you sure the recommendation is real?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Eurosyl,

Yes, it is the International Organization for Migration - I didn't have it to hand when I wrote the original post.

The warning mentions internet or email offers. The IOM recommendation was in my grant letter from DIAC. I know that's real because the visa number they gave me was good enough to get the page put in my passport!

It does make me slightly wary though and I'm edging towards spending a bit more for peace of mind by going to directly to an airline.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

After the flood of ringing endorsements didn't materialise, I decided not to use the IOM. Despite sending another email to ask for a flight itinerary I received nothing.

I am booking a one-way migration-rate flight with Cathay Pacific. Baggage allowance is 40kg, plus 7kg hand luggage, plus laptop. Total cost on 29/01/09 is £746 and the cheapest I could find.