Immigration visa (119/121) options

Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Jamsco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration visa (119/121) options

Firstly, hello all. I have been loitering on the forum with intent for a short while now. I am now seeking help from members on the process, and how to get it started.

I have self assessed that the 119/121 route would be best for me. I am a town (urban) planner with 3 years experience located offshore in the UK. Under GSM my occupation is on the new SOL (was on the now revoked CSL!) but I would, not surprisingly, fall short at 115 points, so the need for sponsorship is clear.

I hope my understanding of this is correct? If it is my main question relates to how to get the ball rolling with nominating route: would it be sensible to firstly get my skills assessed by VETASSESS before seeking employment/nomination? There are plentiful employment in the locations I am interested in so essentially seeking guidance as to how I can get in there! I am under no illusions that is easier said than done however.

Any help at application would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration visa (119/121) options

Hi James and welcome.

My first thought is that probably we would all think a 119 / 121 is the best option for us. Visa and job all rolled into one.

Unfortunately it is VERY difficult to find willing employer sponsors from overseas. The only people that really seem to manage it are people in the medical profession, people that transfer or people that have contacts already in Australia. Just because there are jobs advertised does not mean that they are crying out to sponsor overseas applicants.

It seems like you have done your research, so I assume that you have already counted in 25 points for IELTS in getting to 115 points and thus have definitely ruled out the 175 visa?

State sponsorship for a 176 visa might be an option, although new state lists are pending at the moment so that would involve a waiting game.

As I mentioned, I personally think employer sponsorship is a long shot but of course no harm in trying. To that end, I probably would choose to start the skills assessment process if I were you, but on the understanding that it might not come to anything.

I would do it because if you did find an employer willing to sponsor they would probably suggest a 457 visa on the basis of it being quicker. However if you can show you have already got skills assessment you could leverage it to persuade them into going for the ENS straight away as skills assessment is the time consuming step for that visa. If you don't mind a 457 visa then you probably wouldn't need a skills assessment of course.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Hello Bermudashorts, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, my investigations in to jobs and employment in general highlighted the difficulty. I am buoyed, however, from some responses from employers that it would not be ruled out and applications for employment would be judged on merit. Now I just need to convince them I'm better that anyone else... nearly impossible from 17,000 kilometres away!

I do feel that I have to discount the 175. My assessment of 115 I feel is accurate and cannot easily be improved, unless I work on gaining fluency in German (beyond my pigeon capability, which would please my German partner) then the 120 mark is out. So in summary some form of sponsorship is required should I wish to progress. I am leaning towards regional sponsorship; either a 475 or 487 etc.

Is my understanding that a 457 visa has limited options to apply for further visas once in Australia/near the end of the four year term correct?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamsco
So in summary some form of sponsorship is required should I wish to progress. I am leaning towards regional sponsorship; either a 475 or 487 etc.
I am not sure what a 487 is, but I am a bit unclear what you mean about leaning towards a 475. In that it is not really a question of leaning towards it, your occupation is either eligible for 475 regional sponsorship or it is not. And of course you know that nobody in their right mind would go for 475 sponsorship if there is 176 sponsorship available. I think for either of these you will just have to wait and see what the sponsorship lists say.

Originally Posted by Jamsco
Is my understanding that a 457 visa has limited options to apply for further visas once in Australia/near the end of the four year term correct?
No. It has disadvantages but that is not one of them to the best of my knowledge. Each visa application is considered on its own merits. Having spent 4 years on a 457 certainly won't disadvantage you, in fact I think it would add some points if you were to apply for a 175 later. You either qualify for a visa or you don't.

The reason I would not want a 457 is that it is temporary, you are chained to your employer and you would have to go through the bother of another visa application later if you want to stay.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:14 am
Just Joined

It is eligible at the present time, but with the State/SMP system in flux I agree that I should wait and see what their plans say and take it from there for a 176 visa. In the meantime I may speculatively apply for a few selected positions, for experience if nothing else (local governments in particular seem to have a different way of doing things compared to here so that will be useful).

Big decisions to be made over the next few months in my household!

Thanks for your help up till now
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you're willing to invest some time and money, and don't mind providing employment documentation, it might be worth getting a Vetassess skill assessment done. It would open up the ENS pathway if a job offer came up, although job would have to match the skill assessment.

Since rules changed, Vetassess assessments are now valid for 2 years.

A skill assessment is not needed for RSMS, although because there is a regional certifying body involved, ENS is often preferred by those eligible.

All that said, most employers won't be all that interested in sponsoring if they can easily hire from Australian citizens and permanent residents (and NZ citizens).