Immigration Process?

Old May 2nd 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Immigration Process?

Hi there everyone.

I am after a little bit of advice. I apoligise if what I am asking is explained somewhere on this site, I have searched the site, and google for the last day, but cannot find any clear answer, even though it's probably quite obvious.

I'm a 24 year old male from the South-West UK. For the past 2/3 years, I have known I wanted to emigrate to Australia. Don't ask why, I just knew it was for me, and I hadn't even been out there. I have some relatives who live in Adelaide, so early this year I decided I would take a trip over to Oz, and spend some time visiting them.

I have just returned last week from a month over there. I visited Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. Would have loved to visit other places, but time wouldn't allow. All I can say is I loved the country, the people, the culture, and my mind is now completely made up.

How and where do I start going about the process? Do I just apply to the Australian Immigration, and they advise me how to proceed, or do I need to know the steps before I start? How do I go about getting my UK qualifications recognised? Is there anywhere that lays out the process so I will have an idea of what I need to do?

Sorry if this is a stupid post. Hope somebody can point me in the right direction. Many thanks.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Rach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really nice
Default Re: Immigration Process?

It would help to know what you do for a living/what qualifications you have?

Denis.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Start by reading www.immi.gov.au
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rach & Den
It would help to know what you do for a living/what qualifications you have?

Denis.
Ok thanks. I am an Architectural Technician and also Land and Building (measuring buildings) Surveyor. I have a HNC in Building Construction.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Rach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really nice

Originally Posted by xzibit
Ok thanks. I am an Architectural Technician and also Land and Building (measuring buildings) Surveyor. I have a HNC in Building Construction.

OK first thing wou need to do is check to see if your occupation is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). This will then have info about the relevant skills assessing body for your occupation. You will then need to get your skills assessed for migration and if this is succesful you can start the immigration process. Then as Wendy said check the DIAC website.

Here's the link for the SOL;

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

From a quick look, you might com under Architectural Associate, this is assessed by VETASSESS. See link below for info on this occupation.

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...te-3121-13.htm

Good luck.

Denis.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok thank you for your help.

So I need to get my qualifications assessed, then proceed with an application. I have read the immigration website a few times, but never found any page that layed out the steps I would need to take.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

neilo86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in the same position as you xzibit. Except my HNC is in Mech Engineering. Well it will be when I finish in a month.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
Hi there everyone.

I am after a little bit of advice. I apoligise if what I am asking is explained somewhere on this site, I have searched the site, and google for the last day, but cannot find any clear answer, even though it's probably quite obvious.

I'm a 24 year old male from the South-West UK. For the past 2/3 years, I have known I wanted to emigrate to Australia. Don't ask why, I just knew it was for me, and I hadn't even been out there. I have some relatives who live in Adelaide, so early this year I decided I would take a trip over to Oz, and spend some time visiting them.

I have just returned last week from a month over there. I visited Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. Would have loved to visit other places, but time wouldn't allow. All I can say is I loved the country, the people, the culture, and my mind is now completely made up.

How and where do I start going about the process? Do I just apply to the Australian Immigration, and they advise me how to proceed, or do I need to know the steps before I start? How do I go about getting my UK qualifications recognised? Is there anywhere that lays out the process so I will have an idea of what I need to do?

Sorry if this is a stupid post. Hope somebody can point me in the right direction. Many thanks.
Email me your c.v. an I'll do an assessment against all the general skilled visas for you and give you an outline of the process.

tonycoates at eircom dot net

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

neilo86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshtony
Email me your c.v. an I'll do an assessment against all the general skilled visas for you and give you an outline of the process.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

Dont suppose I could send mine too?
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by welshtony

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Welsh Tony, you have PM.

neilo86, maybe if you find out any information, you could let me know, likewise if I find anything out, I will pass it on.
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilo86
Dont suppose I could send mine too?
course you can

Tony
Old May 3rd 2007, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Originally Posted by neilo86
Im in the same position as you xzibit. Except my HNC is in Mech Engineering. Well it will be when I finish in a month.
Neilo86, you will need to apply to Engineers Australia for your skill assessment and will probably need to do a CDR (sort of like a career report), and there are three levels you can apply for:

Mechanical Engineer (Professional)
Mechanical Engineer (Technologist)
Mechanical Engineer (Associate)

the top two carry 60 points but the bottom one only has 40 points, this is a massive amount and in most cases is the difference between having enough points and not having enough points for a skilled visa.

Normally a HNC would only get you an associate level (40 points), but if you can sufficiently prove your experience with a CDR you can get the technologist level. This is what I did and I only have a HNC.

Also like to give a big thanks to Techno Freak, because if it wasn't through this guy I wouldn't be at the final stages on my visa right now, he told me all about this after I was told by an agent that the most I could get was 40 points and ended the dream until I stummbled across one of Teckno Freaks posts.

Thanks Tony I'll have to buy you several beers, perhaps when were both in Brissy!

cheers
showdan
Old May 10th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by showdan
Neilo86, you will need to apply to Engineers Australia for your skill assessment and will probably need to do a CDR (sort of like a career report), and there are three levels you can apply for:

Mechanical Engineer (Professional)
Mechanical Engineer (Technologist)
Mechanical Engineer (Associate)

the top two carry 60 points but the bottom one only has 40 points, this is a massive amount and in most cases is the difference between having enough points and not having enough points for a skilled visa.

Normally a HNC would only get you an associate level (40 points), but if you can sufficiently prove your experience with a CDR you can get the technologist level. This is what I did and I only have a HNC.

Also like to give a big thanks to Techno Freak, because if it wasn't through this guy I wouldn't be at the final stages on my visa right now, he told me all about this after I was told by an agent that the most I could get was 40 points and ended the dream until I stummbled across one of Teckno Freaks posts.

Thanks Tony I'll have to buy you several beers, perhaps when were both in Brissy!

cheers
showdan
I'm in a similar position. I am an Architectural Technician, which seems to carry 40 points, though as part of my job I also am a Surveyor, which carries 60 points.

I have the HNC, and have been doing the job since 1999, as I did an apprenteship. I gained my HNC in 2003 so have 4 years full time experience, and 4 years experience as I was training (4 days a week).

The only thing that concerns me, is the fact that all the Regulations will differ in Australia from the UK for building. I take it that employers understand this?