Immigration Guidelines

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:42 am
Just Joined

aminaaqali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Guidelines

hi
I have just joined this forum to get useful guidelines for Australian Immigration. I am planning to apply for citizenship as a skilled worker. I am an Electrical Engineer and I have been teaching in Department of Electrical Engineering as an Assistant Professor in Air University, Islamabad for the last five years. I want to know that there is no such occupation as "University teacher" in the skilled occupation list. Does my profession come in Electrcial Engineer group or do i come in Secondary Teachers category. In my opinion i have to check Electrical Engineer field, as this is my main degree and although my job is teaching but i teach all the electrical engineer courses. I want confirmation. plz help me. Thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Immigration Guidelines

Welcome to BE...After reading your thread i would say when you apply for some occupation for assessment you need to prove it through your work Exp. that's why i think you can only apply as teacher rather than as Electrical engineer bcoz if u do so you will need to prove 4 years work experience in this field to get positive skills assessment.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

mahboob807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fahadkhan389
Welcome to BE...After reading your thread i would say when you apply for some occupation for assessment you need to prove it through your work Exp. that's why i think you can only apply as teacher rather than as Electrical engineer bcoz if u do so you will need to prove 4 years work experience in this field to get positive skills assessment.
Not really.
For ACS it is 4 years work experiences.

Engineers Australia don't have any specific work experience time frame.
Even with only 1 year experience it is ok.

I had only around 2.5 years experience when I applied to Engineers Australia.
He/she just need to write 3 CDRs (Competency Demonstration Report) from his/her experiences. I wrote 1 CDR from my University Final Year Project and rest 2 I wrote from my 2.5 years experiences.

I still believe he can apply as Electrical Engineering but he should demonstrate sufficient practical works (Even he can write 3 CDRs from 3 project works). As you are a teacher I am sure you can manage to write 3 CDRs from your project works.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Hey,
I got that email which I sent to Engineers Australia inquiring about work experiences.

They replied me following:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Generally we have no requirement for work experience, and 99.5% of our applicants are quite capable of applying successfully without.

Very occasionally we require persons who have a degree in a Science (eg, Chemistry, etc) to have 3 years work experience as a (eg, Chemical) Engineer, but this appears not to apply to you.

You may certainly write your three career episodes as you propose, but each MUST support your nominated engineering occupation and category.

Regards,

Migration Skills Assessment Team
Education and Assessment
Engineers Australia
11 National Circuit
BARTON ACT
Australia 2600

Phone: +61 2 6270 6577
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough

@mahboob ..if a person has no exp or never worked as Electrical engineer and also currently working as Teacher then how can you think that he can apply as Electrical Engineer?may be for now person can do it making CDR with his Academic and some fake exp as electrical engineer but what will happen when he will proceed with application with DIAC? about job verification as Electrical Engineer?Employer reference letter as Electrical Engineer ??There are many things you need to consider in advance before you proceed.

best regards
Fahad
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

@mahboob ..if a person has no exp or never worked as Electrical engineer and also currently working as Teacher then how can you think that he can apply as Electrical Engineer?may be for now person can do it making CDR with his Academic and some fake exp as electrical engineer but what will happen when he will proceed with application with DIAC? about job verification as Electrical Engineer?Employer reference letter as Electrical Engineer ??There are many things you need to consider in advance before you proceed.

best regards
Fahad
Actually some teachers work in a big engineering projects where he/she can definitely show engineering skills. If OP has work experiences like this then he can apply in Electrical Engineering category.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

My understanding is DIAC has nothing to do with your degree only...you need to proof your SOL(whom you are applying for) profession with practical exp. Teacher teaches the subjects and it counts is his/her experience whether he is Computer Engineer\Electrical Engineer\Scientist\Mathematician etc.

On the other hand if you are applying as engineer,you will be giving proof that you have applied your knowledge as engineer or as practical implementer rather than teaching it to others and if you are doing so then you will be qualifying as teacher.

This is very easy to understand like if there are 2 vacancies one for teacher who can teach Engineering subjects and a vacancy for project manager for building Electrical Power plant.Do you think teacher can go for 2nd vacancy?

best regards
Fahad