Immigration in the future

Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

jakubb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration in the future

Hi,

I want to ask you for a little advice about future of Australia...
Well, first of all, what might sound weird - I'm not from UK. But still, I don't think language is a problem.

I would like to move to Australia in the future - by future I mean in like 5 years - 3 of learning in high school, and then like 2 of gaining experience in a job. What job? Front-end webdeveloping (XHTML, CSS, JS) and webdesign. That's something I definitely love and want to do in the future. Right now I can't see it in jobs on demand list... how do you think it'll look?

How do you think the situation will look in 5 years from now (I'm 15 right now, 16 later this year)? I would really love to not stay more years at my country just to learn useless stuff at school. Instead of it, I would like to work. Hope it'll be possible! If not, at which university are the best opportunities to learn computer/design-related stuff? Waiting for recommendations. But it would be just perfect to go to Australia only with experience!

And about the money... uhm, should I lay away money just from now? How much would I need to move into Australia then? And is it possible to educate in there... or prices are way too big?

Does it makes sense at all to move in Australia? I love gadgets - that's why I need to be up-to-date with all those cool technical stuff. Maybe USA is a better option? In Australia, Sydney sounds the best. What about visiting it as a tourist, huh? Affordable? Or something else? Propositions, please!

Waiting for responses and advices!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

lou_pete will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Immigration in the future

You can only try, duck. Good luck to you.

I like the way you are being sensible about gaining experience and qualifications. I'm no expert, but I'm sure there is plenty of work in IT.
If you work hard enough, then there is nothing stopping you.

Good luck with the future. I'm sure someone will be along to give you some information shortly.

PACHOW! Lucy. xx
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nice

Good on you for starting early. Now for the bad news:

1. 2 Years of tertiary education isn't enough to move to Oz if you want to go for IT. If you earn a degree, and IF (and that's a very big IF), ACS feels that your degree is equal to an Australian degree, then you can go with only a degree. If not you either need a degree plus 4 years' experience, or a diploma (and certain vendor qualifications) and 6 years' experience. (or 8 years' experience without any qualifications if you go RPL. To be avoided if at all possible.)

2. Gadgets. Australia isn't front of the queue as far as the latest gadgets are concerned. They're not stuck in the stone ages by any means, but not front of the queue that's for sure. For that you either want USA or Japan, with England just behind them.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:11 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pietie
1. 2 Years of tertiary education isn't enough to move to Oz if you want to go for IT. If you earn a degree, and IF (and that's a very big IF), ACS feels that your degree is equal to an Australian degree, then you can go with only a degree.
From what little I understand of the ACS requirements, the work experience component can only be waived for recent Australian graduates. Overseas quals will have to be backed by at least 4 years of post-graduation experience. But if I misunderstood something, I guess an agent will be right here to correct my wrong.

Else, the OP could, given the age, go for the Working Holiday Visa to try out the country (if eligible) or perhaps enroll into a course and go on a student visa (funds permitting).

NJ
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

hottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nice

If you can afford to, go for the Student Visa option (in Oz). If you can't afford to then stay at home and do your degree.

Qualifications are becoming more important these days (unfortunately for those without them).
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. 2 Years of tertiary education isn't enough to move to Oz if you want to go for IT. If you earn a degree, and IF (and that's a very big IF), ACS feels that your degree is equal to an Australian degree, then you can go with only a degree.
Not true! An overseas degree in IT, even one equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree, is not enough for an ACS assessment.

If not you either need a degree plus 4 years' experience, or a diploma (and certain vendor qualifications) and 6 years' experience. (or 8 years' experience without any qualifications if you go RPL. To be avoided if at all possible.)
As far as I know, the rules are (in terms of equivalence to Australian qualifications):

- Bachelors with major in IT + 4 years professional experience; or
- Bachelors with minor in IT + 6 years experience; or
- Diploma in IT (certain vendor certifications accepted) + 6 years experience; or
- RPL based on 8 years experience (6 years if at least a diploma in a non-IT subject is held).

Those with formal qualifications may wish to see if being skill assessed by another authority would be more appropriate, eg Vetassess or Engineers Australia.

There is some discussion at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/ACS_Assessments

2. Gadgets. Australia isn't front of the queue as far as the latest gadgets are concerned. They're not stuck in the stone ages by any means, but not front of the queue that's for sure. For that you either want USA or Japan, with England just behind them.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

jakubb is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds pretty badly.

Waiting for more advices.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Pietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nice

No it doesn't sound badly, it just means it won't happen as soon as you would like. Don't worry, I waited the last 3 years in order to meet the exeprience requirements for ACS, only to find out I all I needed to do was complete MCSE and I could have applied 2 years ago already.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

No it doesn't sound badly, it just means it won't happen as soon as you would like. Don't worry, I waited the last 3 years in order to meet the exeprience requirements for ACS, only to find out I all I needed to do was complete MCSE and I could have applied 2 years ago already.
I can't really help you but just wanted to say I admire your enthusiasm at such a young age, You are heading in the right direction. My husband is about to apply to ACS for his assessment and he has completed an MCSE and has 10years + in I.T. He is 41 now. Keep your dream in sight get some qualifications and before you know it you will have the experience and the qualifications to go for it.