Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Immigration agent worth it, or go it alone?

Immigration agent worth it, or go it alone?

Old Dec 19th 2017, 12:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration agent worth it, or go it alone?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Glad I am not the only one having doubts about it. Likewise I have never heard it mentioned before, and though I only had a quick look at sources via google it didn't seem very up to date. The one link I did find on a website said 'last updated 2014'
I think we would all agree - anything that outdated could be dangerous and lead to people losing a lot of money
From what I found, 2014 was when it went online so maybe it was the hard edition that was updated, who knows. I honestly can't imagine it's got more useful info than the DIBP site and at least that's free and everyone knows it's totally up to date.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

2017 version viewed at Gosnells Library in WA about a month ago. It appears to be the up dated version from a quick viewing. I agree it is not well known which is a little odd, taking into account the cost of migration agents these days.

I will endeavour to find out more about this publication and place any additional info on this thread.

I suspect those with reasonable confidence in filling the application are just that, while others not so, would perhaps feel over whelmed by the info and not confident regardless, leaving it in the hands of an agent.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
You should be fine. There was a time not so long ago, when all applicants managed without a migration agent.

<snip>
With respect, that comment is at odds with my experience as a migration agent since 2001.

More were minded to instruct a migration agent when all applications were paper based.

Best regards.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point

Many years ago I spent about 20 minutes reviewing the 'Kit' and found 64 errors, which I drew to the attention of the publisher.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
2017 version viewed at Gosnells Library in WA about a month ago. It appears to be the up dated version from a quick viewing. I agree it is not well known which is a little odd, taking into account the cost of migration agents these days.

I will endeavour to find out more about this publication and place any additional info on this thread.

I suspect those with reasonable confidence in filling the application are just that, while others not so, would perhaps feel over whelmed by the info and not confident regardless, leaving it in the hands of an agent.
Even if such a book were up dated annually, it would still be out of date. There are literally thousands of changes to migration law and regulations made by either parliament or the minister each year. They are done throughout the year. So, it would be out of date within weeks of being published.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

An update on the book It was last published in book form in I think 2012. Hence hard copies would indeed be of little use. Prior to that it was recommended for people in the trade. Obviously the written form is never going to be up to date.

Anyway it has been available online since the demise of the book, and is supposed to be updated regularly.

The full title is The Immigration Kit . The book was Immigration Advice &Rights Centre's published by Federation Press.

Just another tool possibly of benefit to some whom would be interested in the on line version. Definitely don't bother with the book.

I said I'd get back on this matter and have done so.....
Old Feb 1st 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Rhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond repute

Just to share my personal experience on my emigration journey to Australia many years ago...I was one of many skeptic about using an agent due to the common knowledge that they are expensive. So, I attempted to do the process by myself until I realised during my research that the more I know the more confusing it gets. it dawned on me that what seemed to be a straightforward process isnot so straightforward after all. I then met this agent from Sydney who only charged $1,000 and was happy to arrange a 2 part payment. She looked at my case and adviced me that I had to lodge my visa before new rules kick in in July and would be harder for me to apply by then. My opinion on using an agent changed since. Lessons I've learned from this experience are 1. Agents are able to provide the most accurate information on your case which you might have possibly missed from your research 2. Not all agents are expensive.

This experience really made me value the importance of having an agent...so much that it inspired me to become one.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

freppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nice

I think in the end it comes down to if you can read instruction and follow them and have trust in your own capabilities in doing so. I'm from a non english speaking country and I did the whole process myself. The information that is found on homeaffairs is the one that is valid. All info from other sources are second hand info including agents info. You must also remember that it's also in their interest to maintain the idea that it's really hard to do an independent application. I did an independent skilled visa application and I read on homeaffairs web page what I needed in order to do so. I then used this forum and other forum as a source of information about others experiences. If I had any questions I used google and found the answers. I think I also posted one or two own questions in this forum, but it was more to confirm my interpretation.

Personally I also like to be in control of my own application and don't want to put such an important application in hands of others where I will be just one of thousand other clients. For me my interests comes first and the one that best can assure it is myself. But thats just my view. And to conclude it I believe it all comes down to if you have the self confidence and the belief in your own capabilities. (Probably lots of typos in this text and I'm sorry for it, but it also an example that a non native english speaking person are capable of reading written instructions and filing an application .

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by freppe; Feb 3rd 2018 at 8:16 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freppe
I think in the end it comes down to if you can read instruction and follow them and have trust in your own capabilities in doing so. I'm from a non english speaking country and I did the whole process myself. The information that is found on homeaffairs is the one that is valid. All info from other sources are second hand info including agents info. You must also remember that it's also in their interest to maintain the idea that it's really hard to do an independent application. I did an independent skilled visa application and I read on homeaffairs web page what I needed in order to do so. I then used this forum and other forum as a source of information about others experiences. If I had any questions I used google and found the answers. I think I also posted one or two own questions in this forum, but it was more to confirm my interpretation.

Personally I also like to be in control of my own application and don't want to put such an important application in hands of others where I will be just one of thousand other clients. For me my interests comes first and the one that best can assure it is myself. But thats just my view. And to conclude it I believe it all comes down to if you have the self confidence and the belief in your own capabilities. (Probably lots of typos in this text and I'm sorry for it, but it also an example that a non native english speaking person are capable of reading written instructions and filing an application .

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
And did you navigate through the complexities of children from previous relationships, serious medical conditions, convictions and other character issues etc etc etc? Bridging visas, PIC issues, bans resulting from previous visa refusals, being onshore illegally, the list could go on and on, we've seen all those on here.
I suspect your application was straightforward,as many are, but not everyone is so lucky, and for them an agent can be invaluable, and may well be the only hope they have of getting a visa.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

freppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nicefreppe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And did you navigate through the complexities of children from previous relationships, serious medical conditions, convictions and other character issues etc etc etc? Bridging visas, PIC issues, bans resulting from previous visa refusals, being onshore illegally, the list could go on and on, we've seen all those on here.
I suspect your application was straightforward,as many are, but not everyone is so lucky, and for them an agent can be invaluable, and may well be the only hope they have of getting a visa.
I did only the parts that was relevant for my application and it was the same visa 189 as she asked about. So I don't understand why you put in all this special conditions?

I do also strongly belive we better encourage each other here on this forum then try to scare or attack each other. I have no interest in getting 91.000 posts here so you can relax I will leave this forum as I feel my input and experience is not valuated.

If you believe an agent is necessary I will not argue with you Personally I belive you can do all types of application yourself, but of course some cases requires more preparation then others.

Last edited by freppe; Feb 3rd 2018 at 9:14 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Rhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond reputeRhea Tolentino has a reputation beyond repute

Using an agent is a personal choice at the end of the day. An individual with no educational background on the Australian Immigration law as well as no work experience can never be 100% sure no matter how self confident he or she is. Especially these days when policies are very erratic and there's even a greater chance of missing out on things. Generally speaking, people don't know what they don't know until things get complicated. Engaging a registered migration agent is like getting a tax accountant, you either get one or you don't. If one decides not to engage an expert, he/she just has to be prepared to do thorough research and the possibility that questions may arise along the way and concrete answers are not actually available on the government website or any forum. When this happens, engaging an agent becomes beneficial as they have access to the professional library which contains the Australian Migration Act 1958 and Regulation Regulations 1994 - the actual legislation. this means the individual will be provided with legislative information, the most accurate one can have. I recall back in the days when I was doing my postgrad in immigration law and practice, the lecturer emphasised the fact that indeed information may be found on the government website but not to fall in this habit of just relying on the website and that we should always refer to our professional library for the most accurate and recent policy.

Also, in as much as forums are very helpful (I wish they existed during my time), sources here are valuable but one must use the proper judgement as each every case is different. What applies to someone doesn't necessarily mean it will apply to all.

Last edited by Rhea Tolentino; Feb 3rd 2018 at 10:18 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I did only the parts that was relevant for my application and it was the same visa 189 as she asked about. So I don't understand why you put in all this special conditions?

I do also strongly belive we better encourage each other here on this forum then try to scare or attack each other. I have no interest in getting 91.000 posts here so you can relax I will leave this forum as I feel my input and experience is not valuated.

If you believe an agent is necessary I will not argue with you Personally I belive you can do all types of application yourself, but of course some cases requires more preparation then others.
Seems you've completely misunderstood what Pollyana has said. She's simply saying that you may have felt comfortable doing your own application because it was straightforward, but many applications aren't and so an agent can be invaluable for trickier cases.

Nobody has attacked you, or tried to 'scare' you either, not sure why you think they have. As for Pollyana's number of posts, I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to bring that up but she's a very valued member of the forum and has in fact helped you in the past so those posts have been much appreciated by most.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 3rd 2018 at 10:27 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not scaring or attacking anyone, just pointing out that not everyone is as lucky as you to have a straightforward application. I'm very pleased yours went so smoothly - mine did too, but you should realise that for others, an agent may be valuable help I was the same as you, did not need an agent, but I had no major problems to overcome, and I agree that for us an agent was unnecessary, however over the years I have come to realise just how complex some applications are.

As for the number of posts you have, why should I be interested in that? i built up a high post count because I was a moderator for many years, thats all.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyanna's post quite accurately pointed out that an agent can be indispensable when applications can be complex. I found nothing offensive or insulting in her post.

I also found the agent I used to be indispensable, and I am from an English-speaking country and hold a PhD.