I'm worried!

Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

paddyb157 will become famous soon enoughpaddyb157 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy I'm worried!

Hi everyone, i was looking at the trade skills assessment for getting permanent residency and i think it's going to cost around $2000 to be tested.

Is this about correct?

Also, this may sound stupid, but if i were to fail this test, would this mean me having to spend another $2000 to do it again?

I haven't got that much money!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:15 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm worried!

Originally Posted by paddyb157
Hi everyone, i was looking at the trade skills assessment for getting permanent residency and i think it's going to cost around $2000 to be tested.

Is this about correct?

Also, this may sound stupid, but if i were to fail this test, would this mean me having to spend another $2000 to do it again?

VETASSESS fees, incl. practical - sounds about right. There is a written assessment first, that you need to pass to get to the practical examination (which, in itself, is 1500).
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:10 am
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this about correct?

hey paddy, yeh it is alot of money but it is the only way really. The tests are rather straight forward and as long as you brush up on some things you havn't done in a while then you should't have any problems. Hope all goes well for you.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:18 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

What is your occupation, paddyb?

And where do you live?

Best regards.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

paddyb157 will become famous soon enoughpaddyb157 will become famous soon enough

I'm a workshop joiner/carpenter and i'm living in melbourne.

Is there any significance in your reason for asking? I trying to gather as much information about the situtation.

Thanks for helping.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I think because the practical tests on only done in certain countries and for certain occupations. If you are in Oz already, I think you will come under the TRA's remit rather than Vetassess.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this will come along soon!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:59 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a workshop joiner/carpenter and i'm living in melbourne.

Is there any significance in your reason for asking? I trying to gather as much information about the situtation.

Thanks for helping.
Hi Paddyb,

Getting skills assessed while living in Australia doesn't involve the Vetassess process, and is considerably cheaper, however the requirements might be more difficult. Vetassess assesses 10 core occupations for people who are resident in 5 different countries, and if you don't fall within that set of tradies then it's TRA which does the assessing.

However if you're looking at a trade test as a means of getting your Victorian trade ticket and then applying for an employer sponsored visa then the costs you mention might be accurate. If you want to follow this up you can call my office on 02-97990085 - we're open today.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:55 pm
DCS
Forum Regular

DCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really nice

hi sorry to butt in to this thread but I've a question kind of related.

I'm looking/hoping to re-train as a carpenter/joiner this year int to next to enable my wife and i to apply for a visa. I'm currently reading as many posts as i can to educate my self on the In's and outs of the application process. I'm wondering would it be possible for me to apply for a visa as a carpenter/joiner with little experience in the job and if i had little experience would i have to do a skills assessment? if so what is the likely hood of me passing? sounds daft reading back but what i mean is would an examiner assess me on my skills regardless to experience or is it likely for them to be blinkered and think to themselves 'this fella cant be any good his just furnished collage'?
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DCS

I'm looking/hoping to re-train as a carpenter/joiner this year int to next to enable my wife and i to apply for a visa. I'm currently reading as many posts as i can to educate my self on the In's and outs of the application process. I'm wondering would it be possible for me to apply for a visa as a carpenter/joiner with little experience in the job and if i had little experience would i have to do a skills assessment? if so what is the likely hood of me passing? sounds daft reading back but what i mean is would an examiner assess me on my skills regardless to experience or is it likely for them to be blinkered and think to themselves 'this fella cant be any good his just furnished collage'?
You need to show 4 years experience at least normally 4 years training then a further 3 years experience i think your on a struggle m8.

Keith B
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:14 pm
DCS
Forum Regular

DCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really nice

thanks for the reply Keith, not what i was hoping to hear. you say normally, dose this mean there are exceptions or your not 100% clear on that?
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DCS
thanks for the reply Keith, not what i was hoping to hear. you say normally, dose this mean there are exceptions or your not 100% clear on that?
Na am fairly clear on that you should look at getting assesed here to achive your aqf111 have you any experience or you chancing your mit its a long hard hall you should look at the study option but expensive have a look at silver trowels in perth and go on the imma site that way you will see what you need.
Have you been and how soon you wanting to get there.
Keith B
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

scrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DCS

I did the joinery test and with very little experience there is no way you would pass. You definitely need to prove 4 years experience to pass the first stage (paper based) before you can proceed onto the practical. Just by the questions they ask you on the day , they would be able to see just how skilled you are , especially when setting up and operating the static workshop machines. Although I passed with no problems it took us 12 hours to do it.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:21 pm
DCS
Forum Regular

sorry did i miss read your post scrappy?

you started off with 'I did the joinery test and with very little experience' but then finished the post with 'Although I passed with no problems....'

so how come you had little experience and passed but i wouldn't?
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCS
sorry did i miss read your post scrappy?

you started off with 'I did the joinery test and with very little experience' but then finished the post with 'Although I passed with no problems....'

so how come you had little experience and passed but i wouldn't?
I read it as and with very little experience there is no way you would pass. which I would say is correct from reading threads on here.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:56 pm
DCS
Forum Regular

thanks for clearing that up pollyanna its official I'm a dumbass. i see what scrappyhappy said now i miss read it as per normal.

do you advise i train at collage then gain enough experience to apply? how much experience do you think would be needed to pass an assessment? I'm not in a rush as i wouldn't be applying for 3 years at least but i run my own business and cant really become a chippy full time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.