Im too old, right?

Old May 14th 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

PlanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Im too old, right?

Hello everyone.

I've always wanted to move to Oz, but somewhere along the line I met a Yank and ended up moving to USA. Things have not worked out and now I wish I had followed my heart in the first place and moved to Oz a long time ago. Now I think I've probably missed my chance due to age. I don't have any of the recognised skills but I have a BSc so Im thinking of returning home to the UK to study as a mature student. Im already 38 yrs old though, so was wondering if there is anything I can study in time to become eligable to apply to immigrate to Oz? I was thinking of taking Diagnostic Radiography (xray) BSc which is a 3 year course so I'd already be 41 by the time I obtained the qualification.

Does anyone know the answer offhand or can you direct me to a website that can help? I tried looking up the points system but could only find the part that calculates skills and not age etc, so I got a little lost. Story of my life it seems....

Cheers.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant future
Default Re: Im too old, right?

Originally Posted by PlanB
Hello everyone.

I've always wanted to move to Oz, but somewhere along the line I met a Yank and ended up moving to USA. Things have not worked out and now I wish I had followed my heart in the first place and moved to Oz a long time ago. Now I think I've probably missed my chance due to age. I don't have any of the recognised skills but I have a BSc so Im thinking of returning home to the UK to study as a mature student. Im already 38 yrs old though, so was wondering if there is anything I can study in time to become eligable to apply to immigrate to Oz? I was thinking of taking Diagnostic Radiography (xray) BSc which is a 3 year course so I'd already be 41 by the time I obtained the qualification.

Does anyone know the answer offhand or can you direct me to a website that can help? I tried looking up the points system but could only find the part that calculates skills and not age etc, so I got a little lost. Story of my life it seems....

Cheers.
Could you not do a one year teacher training course as you already have a BSc. Whatever path you choose I think you then have to have a number of years work experience in that field. There are other paths - you could get a visa to study in OZ, or go for sponsorship? Speak to an agent. Some will give you some initial advise for free. We used an agent and it was the best thing for us.

Good Luck
Caroline
Old May 14th 2008, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Cheers.
If you have a BSc then what is your current occupation and do you have any relatives in Australia.

Also, assuming that you have a green card, have you obtained your American citizenship?

Out of interest, what do you expect Australia to offer that the USA can't?
Old May 14th 2008, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have a BSc then what is your current occupation and do you have any relatives in Australia.

Also, assuming that you have a green card, have you obtained your American citizenship?

Out of interest, what do you expect Australia to offer that the USA can't?
Thank you JAJ. Current occupation is in Admin, not related to my BSc, sadly. No, I have no relatives in Australia

Yes, I have a greencard and would have been eligable to apply for US citizenship in the next month or so. However it does currently take 13-15 months to process.

Hmmm... many things, but most of all a sense of humour. An environmental conscience. The ability to purchase food that isn't laced with high fructose corn syrup. A population that isn't out of control. Not being thought of as a odd because I don't attend church. I could go on, but I wont. I did spend a year in Oz when I was younger and totally fell in love with it, always wanted to move there from then on. Like I said, along the way I met a guy from the US so ended up here instead.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carolinemaria
Could you not do a one year teacher training course as you already have a BSc. Whatever path you choose I think you then have to have a number of years work experience in that field. There are other paths - you could get a visa to study in OZ, or go for sponsorship? Speak to an agent. Some will give you some initial advise for free. We used an agent and it was the best thing for us.

Good Luck
Caroline
Thanks Caroline, does sound like I should speak with an agent. As yes, by the time I have enough years experience in a field I would probably to too old. Study might be an option - but isn't it the case that I cant go to study and then apply for immigration? - might have to get the details from you of the agent you used.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you JAJ. Current occupation is in Admin, not related to my BSc, sadly. No, I have no relatives in Australia

Yes, I have a greencard and would have been eligable to apply for US citizenship in the next month or so. However it does currently take 13-15 months to process.

Hmmm... many things, but most of all a sense of humour. An environmental conscience. The ability to purchase food that isn't laced with high fructose corn syrup. A population that isn't out of control. Not being thought of as a odd because I don't attend church. I could go on, but I wont. I did spend a year in Oz when I was younger and totally fell in love with it, always wanted to move there from then on. Like I said, along the way I met a guy from the US so ended up here instead.
Where are you in the United States? Have you thought about moving to a state or city which might have values more in tune with yours? For example, Vermont or Oregon.

It doesn't appear that you have any immediate immigration route to Australia, and do be aware that if you return to Britain and later on want to go back to the U.S. you will find it impossible if you have lost your green card. Things in Britain may have changed a lot since you left, not for the better.

If you do want to further your education, why not look at options in the United States, including distance learning? You could even do a University of London degree while still living in the U.S.

If you take that option you might be able to stay and get your American citizenship. U.S. citizenship can open up some doors to get into Canada if you have an occupation eligible for a work permit under the NAFTA provisions, would this be of any interest?
Old May 15th 2008, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Plan B

I can imagine how you feel. You just can't let go of the dream of coming to Oz. I think you should thoroughly look into all the options such as teacher training, and not get discouraged by any negative feedback. Just dedicate all your free time to studying the DIAC website, these forums, calling people, until you have a plan and are ready to take the next step.
You must wish you had done this ten years ago and the wide opening now seems more like a narrow crack in the wall. But that's ok - just means you need to concentrate more. It's up to you to do all the research - don't rely on other people's opinions or half-knowledge.

Having said that, Australia has changed a lot over the past few years.

Hywel
Old May 15th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough

Hi PlanB
Sponsorship (employee or state) is one alternative, as it allows mature applicant (<50 yrs). But you need to be in "skilled" job, and for that you need to be hurry...., e.i. study to gain the qualification.

I heard Canada is a lot different than USA, it also could be a choice. We were thinking (and still keep the option open) to move to Canada.

Good luck.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Bigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really nice

Hello Plan B. If you decide to study, consider doing it in Australia, I think you will get points credit for that time. Also I would enlist the help of a good agent to give you professional advice. We used 'Go Matilda' and they were great.
Good luck,
H.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Where are you in the United States? Have you thought about moving to a state or city which might have values more in tune with yours? For example, Vermont or Oregon.

It doesn't appear that you have any immediate immigration route to Australia, and do be aware that if you return to Britain and later on want to go back to the U.S. you will find it impossible if you have lost your green card. Things in Britain may have changed a lot since you left, not for the better.

If you do want to further your education, why not look at options in the United States, including distance learning? You could even do a University of London degree while still living in the U.S.

If you take that option you might be able to stay and get your American citizenship. U.S. citizenship can open up some doors to get into Canada if you have an occupation eligible for a work permit under the NAFTA provisions, would this be of any interest?
Hi JAJ

Sorry for the huge delay, things have been difficult but I wanted to thank you and everyone else who replied for your kind help and advice.

I don't want to mention where I am now, because of my situation, but it's funny you mentioned Oregon, I have not been there but everything I've heard about it makes me want to go there and check it out. So thats definitely a consideration if I decide to stay in the US, but still exploring options.

Thanks again all!
PlanB
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

hi plan b,
i think 45 is the cut off age, which would be fine for you.
hope it all works out whichever way you decide

kev
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Cheers.
Assuming the regulations don't change in the mean time, and since the cut-off date is 45 years, you still have time to do your BSc and do a year or two for experience AND THEN apply for a job in Oz. I would imagine that any qualification which is recognised and valued in the health sector is a good ticket to Oz. [There is a Oz-wide shortage of all medical professsionals at the moment so sponsorship is obtainable, even after 45 I've heard].

It does mean that you are trusting to luck a bit. I would make VERY, VERY sure that your qualification WOULD be recognised in OZ first - contact the relevant registration bodies in Australia and ask them about it. The worst case scenario would be to spend those 3 years and then find that it's not recognised locally.

I personally wouldn't do teacher training purely because the governments treat teachers like s**t at the moment.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

Hi JAJ

Sorry for the huge delay, things have been difficult but I wanted to thank you and everyone else who replied for your kind help and advice.

I don't want to mention where I am now, because of my situation, but it's funny you mentioned Oregon, I have not been there but everything I've heard about it makes me want to go there and check it out. So thats definitely a consideration if I decide to stay in the US, but still exploring options.

You should certainly think very hard before you abandon your green card in the United States. There are tax filing issues that expatriate U.S. citizens have to deal with, but if you leave the U.S. you might find that you want to come back.

Also, it may open up doors to Canada if you would like to go there.