Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

if cant get in on a 176 visa are only option is a student visa

if cant get in on a 176 visa are only option is a student visa

Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

abranch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default if cant get in on a 176 visa are only option is a student visa

Hi

We have been looking into getting my husbands skills assessed for plastering for the 176 visa a problem will be that there my not be enough time to get the visa application in by July as then we will not have enough points. Also proving paid employment as
my husband has not worked all of the 4 years as a plasterer so this could also be a hurdle with proof of paid employment. If we was to come out on a student visa I was looking to do a undergraduate nursing degree I understand that you can only do a max of 20 hours work per week for me and my husband. Could he work for himself doing small plastering jobs keeping to the 20 hours by applying for his tax number tfn, and declaring it that way. I am not too sure if this is possible.
We will be selling our house in the Uk so will have funds for course and to support us as well. If anyone has any advise please let me know. Many thanks
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if cant get in on a 176 visa are only option is a student visa

I can't comment on the 176 visa as there isn't enough information there so will leave that alone.

Yes if you come on a student visa he can work for himself for 20 hours a wee, so can you. Have you thought what you will do after you finish your course?

I am not sure I would sell my house and use the funds on living expenses and tuition fees in Australia. Are you sure it is worth it? Have you thought about nurse training in UK, at least then hubby is not restricted to 20 hours work a week.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 26th 2011 at 6:05 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

[Have thought about it but we really want to try Australia before we get too old and if we dont try it then we will never know. We have quite alot of equity in our property so
we should be able to manage on that and hopefully it leads into a permanent route by me getting sponsored at the end of it as a graduate nurse. It is a risk we my have to take. Thanks for the advice
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:30 pm
Banned

gr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant future

selling house for studying is something i wouldn't do my self. but i wish you good luck. i would sell my house ONLY for a REAL emergency. if you are in the UK may be you can study there and then come here? as there's no guarantee that there definitely will be a way to permanent residency once you are a graduate. things have changed. things have become difficult than before.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abranch
[Have thought about it but we really want to try Australia before we get too old and if we dont try it then we will never know. We have quite alot of equity in our property so
we should be able to manage on that and hopefully it leads into a permanent route by me getting sponsored at the end of it as a graduate nurse. It is a risk we my have to take. Thanks for the advice
so what are you going to do if you have no pathway to PR at the end of the course? You've sold your house and used the equity to fund plastering training (which he already knows how to do) and will still have to leave Australia.

The student route is very expensive with no guarentee at the end of a visa. I would think very long and very hard about what you plan to do. There are other pathways available before selling up and having nothing to go back to.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi thank you for all your posts.
If we come out on this visa and my husband can find a suitable employer for him as a plasterer has he has the experience etc then we would change over to that visa.
We have another property in the Uk which we rent out for a investment so if things dont work out we can move back into that. We really want to come out to OZ and this visa seems the easiest way to come out on and then hopefully we can change over to a different visa if my husband can get him to sponsor him on a 119 rsms visa as it would be easier finding a sponsor when you are out in OZ.
We have lived before abroad in Europe we know there is risk involved but we are prepared to take the risk.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abranch
Hi thank you for all your posts.
If we come out on this visa and my husband can find a suitable employer for him as a plasterer has he has the experience etc then we would change over to that visa.
We have another property in the Uk which we rent out for a investment so if things dont work out we can move back into that. We really want to come out to OZ and this visa seems the easiest way to come out on and then hopefully we can change over to a different visa if my husband can get him to sponsor him on a 119 rsms visa as it would be easier finding a sponsor when you are out in OZ.
We have lived before abroad in Europe we know there is risk involved but we are prepared to take the risk.
The vast majority of plasterers here are self employed contractors. The chances of him finding an employer willing to sponsor him for ENS are very very slim. It's not as easy as "chaning over the that visa" The employer has to be willing to sponsor him, be an eligible sponsor, and meet the criteria for nominating your OH. That includes hours of work and salary conditions which the employer would be obliged to meet as part of their sponsorhip.

If you are prepared to take the risk then best of luck to you. If it were me I would not be selling my home for something that has little chance of working out in the end. Have you spoken to a MARA registered migration agent regarding your options? That really should be your first point of call before doing anything.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I will speak to a agent see what they say.
Thank you for all your info
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I am reading this as you training, not your husband as other have said. Is that right???
I have always been under the impression that nurses can get a job no problem at the end, BUT they reported on the radio a few months ago that there were not enough nursing jobs for all of the graduates for that year. So who knows how easy it would be.

I sold my house to pay for coming to oz and studying (seems a perfectly logical thing to me for something I want). I am at the end of studying, all the rules have changed and it is now very hard for me to stay for good. Fingers crossed I am granted a RSMS visa, or it will be the UK for me and hubbie.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I am reading this as you training, not your husband as other have said. Is that right???
I have always been under the impression that nurses can get a job no problem at the end, BUT they reported on the radio a few months ago that there were not enough nursing jobs for all of the graduates for that year. So who knows how easy it would be.
Yes that is how I read it to, that OP would study nursing. I just wonder if they would not be better off with OP studying nursing in UK so husband can earn a proper full time salary and then they emmigrate on OPs skills in due course.