Wikiposts

IELTS - What book is best??

Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: IELTS - What book is best??

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Ah, I didn't realise it was the academic test. Big difference. In this case I highly recommend some practice, particularly in the reading section. It is more challenging than you might think. The book that Jen has recommended is one I got too (even though I only did the general test) and that might be a good idea.
Yes this is why I was asking what test you were taking, because I noticed Bermudashorts had done the general test, which is meant to be easier with regards to writing and reading.

Defo revise!

Good luck!
Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Yes this is why I was asking what test you were taking, because I noticed Bermudashorts had done the general test, which is meant to be easier with regards to writing and reading.

Defo revise!

Good luck!
Err how would you notice I did the general test exactly?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Ah, I didn't realise it was the academic test. Big difference. In this case I highly recommend some practice, particularly in the reading section. It is more challenging than you might think. The book that Jen has recommended is one I got too (even though I only did the general test) and that might be a good idea.
Beg your pardon, it was pumpkin blossom whose thread I had read that said they had done the general test. Genuine mistake - no offence intended!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Hendra is an unknown quantity at this point

You can try the cambridge series that comes with listening practice too.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

alpinev18 is an unknown quantity at this point

any recommendations for speaking part ?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Hendra is an unknown quantity at this point

For speaking and listening, you can try:
http://www.englishcentral.com/en/videos

This is an excellent website. You can see the demo to get an idea how it works. It's actually free.

It allows you to speak and it will evaluate the correctness of your speech.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hendra

This is an excellent website. You can see the demo to get an idea how it works. It's actually free.

Good system. I just thought I would evaluate it as a native English speaker. I mainly get B's (!!) and some A's so it is pretty strict.

It seems biased towards an American accent too, the guy pronounces "letting" as "ledding" so I did this once deliberately and got a A perfect..grrrrrrr...

Edit: I just deliberately completely mispronounced some things and still got a B!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN73-1/4.0750.31.2.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by Hendra

Good system. I just thought I would evaluate it as a native English speaker. I mainly get B's (!!) and some A's so it is pretty strict.

It seems biased towards an American accent too, the guy pronounces "letting" as "ledding" so I did this once deliberately and got a A perfect..grrrrrrr...

Edit: I just deliberately completely mispronounced some things and still got a B!
IELTS official website has speaking & writing band descripters. Check on that too..
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

xLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nice

Just purchased Peter May IELTS book, now the studying begins!!! Hope everyone had a good xmas and that this year we see a few visas getting chucked in our direction!!!

Last edited by xLaLax; Jan 1st 2010 at 8:15 am.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:03 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xLaLax
Just purchased Peter May IELTS book, not the studying begins!!! Hope everyone had a good xmas and that this year we see a few visas getting chucked in our direction!!!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Lots of luck to you all taking your IELTS in the near future.

Practice, practice, practice!

Karen
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

xLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nice

Karen I noticed you did the Academic test, how did u find it? I am really bad at exams not because I'm thick (sure my OH would disagree) but I get really nervous and everything seems to fall out of my head on the way into the exam room!!!!

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Lots of luck to you all taking your IELTS in the near future.

Practice, practice, practice!

Karen
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:11 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Karen I noticed you did the Academic test, how did u find it? I am really bad at exams not because I'm thick (sure my OH would disagree) but I get really nervous and everything seems to fall out of my head on the way into the exam room!!!!

Rescue Remedy is meant to be very good, a few drops under the tongue. Personally I am TERRIFIED of exams, but because I'd done the Peter May practice papers loads the week prior, it put me at ease as I knew exactly what to expect.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

TBH I was really nervous too because I knew if I failed it would result in a delay in my visa being processed, so it was real pressure.

On the day, I was absolutely fine because I had spent 3 weeks revising. I went to the library and picked up a mixture of books from there and I also ordered the Peter May book on Jen's recommendation. All the books were so different and approached the exam with different learning techniques.

During the exam I knew I had mucked up the reading part. There was a diagram that needed to be labelled from the information in the text, and I had struggled with this during the practice tests.

With regards to the writing part, I found this hardest to revise because there is no right or wrong answer. I drew myself a spider diagram and it helped me assemble my thoughts and ensure that I covered all the pros and cons. They are really looking for grammar and spelling though I think.

Lots of luck and please let us know how you get on

Karen
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jen, I am terrified although i don't know why its not for our visas just so I can register with the QNC (Nursing Council) so if the worst happens I'll just have to sit it again The book is on its way to me now and it will be my best friend from now til 23rd

L
Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Rescue Remedy is meant to be very good, a few drops under the tongue. Personally I am TERRIFIED of exams, but because I'd done the Peter May practice papers loads the week prior, it put me at ease as I knew exactly what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.