IELTS - What book is best??

Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

xLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nice
Default IELTS - What book is best??

I have my IELTS booked for 23rd January, just wondering which revision book is best??? Have seen a few but would appreciate some input from people who have already sat it and passed

L
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

s4nju is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS - What book is best??

get your self the offical ielts book for the reading, speaking, litening.

for the writing look at this link http://www.youtube.com/user/EnglishRyan

then the ones you need to watch are

IELTS essay question analysis - What style of essay to write
IELTS Written essay from start to finish
IELTS discussion essay writing (part 1 of 5) all five parts
IELTS Argument Essay Writing 1 (1 of 4) all 4 of them

IELTS exam letter writing (part 3 of 3) all 3 of them
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a native English speaker? If so I wouldn't bother with the books.

I took mine a little while ago (general) and got a score of 9 overall with no revision at all. Someone else with me for 8.5 overall also with no revision.

Some of the people on my course who are not native speakers were getting very worked up because of some of the things the books said they should know, like what insolubrious meant!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:13 am
Just Joined

aussie_guy is an unknown quantity at this point

www.ielts-blog.com
Old Dec 19th 2009, 7:57 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Best not to be complacent , afterall, it's not a cheap exam...do some study the week before. I used this book and am so thankful I did, as the actual test (General) was miles easier (obviously) than the Academic tests in this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IELTS-Practi...1212846&sr=8-1

Good Luck
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Are you a native English speaker? If so I wouldn't bother with the books.

I took mine a little while ago (general) and got a score of 9 overall with no revision at all. Someone else with me for 8.5 overall also with no revision.

Some of the people on my course who are not native speakers were getting very worked up because of some of the things the books said they should know, like what insolubrious meant!

With respect, I would definately do some revision. There is a technique to some parts of this exam. Pop along to your local library and pick up an assortment of books, all of which approach the exam from different teaching styles.

Good luck!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Branko is an unknown quantity at this point

For practice tests I think that Cambridge IELTS 1-6 are the best.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree that its worthwhile making sure that you're familiar with the style and content. Some people will be able to go in with no prior knowledge of what they're facing, but I wouldn't want to have gone in completely blind.

You don't need to do much - just enough to you know the format.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Try to buy "IELTS scores explained DVD" . Really valuable resource.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

xLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nice

Thanks for all your feedback, getting nervous already!!!I was never any good at exams
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xLaLax
Thanks for all your feedback, getting nervous already!!!I was never any good at exams
Forgot to ask, are you doing General or Academic test and what pass mark do you need?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

As a native English speaker, you certainly don't need to worry about the speaking and there is probably not a great deal you can do about the writing either - other than brush up if you are not already good with grammar e.g use of apostrophe's and usage of there, they're and their type of thing.

Listening is not hard but you need to know what is expected and be completely focused whilst the section is being played, I dropped a half mark here as I just didn't hear something properly. For reading section I definitely recommend reading the text very carefully, you may see lots of advice on here not to read it in detail but that might be good advice for a non-native speaker who cannot read and comprehend as quickly as you will be able to.

I don't think you need to spend a long time on prep but it is definitely worth knowing what is coming and to have seen some examples.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I found with the reading section was making sure that if the specific answer wasn;t given - mark not given, regardless of whether you know the answer or not!

Listening is just making sure you stay focused as bermudashorts says - its not a time for daydreaming!
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Its the Academic test, I need it for registering with the Queensland Nursing Council not for the visa itself. Will just need to invest in some books and revision.
Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Forgot to ask, are you doing General or Academic test and what pass mark do you need?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xLaLax
Its the Academic test, I need it for registering with the Queensland Nursing Council not for the visa itself. Will just need to invest in some books and revision.
Ah, I didn't realise it was the academic test. Big difference. In this case I highly recommend some practice, particularly in the reading section. It is more challenging than you might think. The book that Jen has recommended is one I got too (even though I only did the general test) and that might be a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.