IELTS for spouse for skilled visa?

Old May 23rd 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Default IELTS for spouse for skilled visa?

I have been trying to find an answer to this question for some time, so maybe somebody on here will be able to tell me for sure.
My partner is applying for a skilled independant visa (136) as a bricklayer and he is irish so he doesn't need his english tested.
I am the defacto partner on the application and I am french but I don't need my skills assessed for the bonus points.
I have read everything in the booklet and the website and it says that dependants over 18 need to prove they have a good level of english not to pay the 2nd installment of $2690.
What I am not sure of is as a defacto, am I considered a dependant or not?
Thanks for your replies
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS for spouse for skilled visa?

Originally Posted by priscilia
I have been trying to find an answer to this question for some time, so maybe somebody on here will be able to tell me for sure.
My partner is applying for a skilled independant visa (136) as a bricklayer and he is irish so he doesn't need his english tested.
I am the defacto partner on the application and I am french but I don't need my skills assessed for the bonus points.
I have read everything in the booklet and the website and it says that dependants over 18 need to prove they have a good level of english not to pay the 2nd installment of $2690.
What I am not sure of is as a defacto, am I considered a dependant or not?
Thanks for your replies
Short answer is yes.

Although I can't see any problems as your written english is excellent.
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Red face Re: IELTS for spouse for skilled visa?

The problem is not the english, I probably speak better english than french by now!!
I just don't feel like paying another 170 euros to take the test, travel to Paris which is 600 miles away, etc... So before I do that I wanted to make sure that I had no other options.

Would you happen to know also if the test results need to be sent with the application or will that be requested at a later date, like the medicals and police checks?
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is not the english, I probably speak better english than french by now!!
I just don't feel like paying another 170 euros to take the test, travel to Paris which is 600 miles away, etc... So before I do that I wanted to make sure that I had no other options.

Would you happen to know also if the test results need to be sent with the application or will that be requested at a later date, like the medicals and police checks?
They will be requested, or you can send them with your application. They are valid for 12 months like the meds and Police clearance, but they don't affect the entry date.
Old May 24th 2006, 7:27 am
Visa Granted 04/07/2006

zeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Re: IELTS for spouse for skilled visa?

What Wendy said...

However, if you have done post-secondary studies in English (Degree, Masters, PHDs) and can demonstrate that you have been using English (ie at work) since then, you could request for exemption from taking IELTS. I know there were waivers given out last year but things may have changed since Nov 05.

Maybe some other expert can reconfirm.

On the safe side, if you take IELTS first, you need not worry about it later if the waiver doesnt go through...

Just curious though, why would you need to travel to Paris to take the test?!

Good Luck!
Old May 24th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

same situation, what we did was submit work and university certificates stating that the medium of instruction was english,

we are not sure if they will waive the IELTS so we are just waiting for the official request from the CO, should know in a month or so....