Ielts re-score

Old Mar 27th 2015, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

jam.skinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ielts re-score

Hi all, I have recently sat the ielts test and have done 2 previous tests that didn't get the result I needed. I need 8's in all areas of the test.
I scored a 7.5 on speaking when previously scoring 9 and 8.5 (8.5 was scored due to me pausing to think of what to add to a boring subject), the recent test went well so I don't understand why a 9 wasn't given.
Has anyone had experience of submitting the results to ielts?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ielts re-score

Yes, you don't mention your background at all so it's quite difficult to really offer any help. If you were not born in the UK or English is not your first language then that's one thing, if you were born here and have a PhD in English literature from Cambridge then there is something else wrong such as your approach or how you are answering the questions rather than a lack of ability.

If you scored over 8 in speaking on the previous 2 attempts then presumably you fell under 8 in one or more of the other areas on those tests to not pass the benchmark, so there is clearly an overal limitation in your English fluency. For the speaking, from what I gather, it is less about pauses and taking time to answer and more about your range of vocabulary, your diction, correct usage of words and how well you are conveying what is in your head. Do you come out with clear coherent sentences or do you jump around, backtrack or ask the person interviewing you "do you know what I mean?" after every sentence. I'd also attempt to make use of common phrases or colloquialisms as it shows a better command of English when you move beyond literal use.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Should have added that I am British born and a native speaker. The test is more difficult than I thought it would be, there isn't a lot of room for errors either. Seems strange to me how a result can vary that much. This test went as well as the others so don't see the issue.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

The thing is, the test isn't a set answer test for the writing and speaking sections, it's marked by a human being and so you could have the same interview for the speaking test listened to and marked by two different people and come out with two different scores so your score will vary even if you felt all tests have been equal.

I only sat mine a couple of weeks ago and there was an English guy there sitting it for the 3rd time because he had failed to get 7 or 7.5 for his reading section every time which was what he needed for Australia. For the reading test given my experience i'd say that verbal reasoning comes into it at the end and so practice tests in that would definitely help but for the speaking section other than the suggestions i've made it's impossible to know where you might be falling down without speaking to you, perhaps if you have any 'posh' friends or any that you consider well educated ask them to do a practice test with you and see what suggestions they make about how to discuss topics they put to you
Old May 21st 2015, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Update, I have had the test results back after 6 weeks wait. My speaking score has been raised to 8.
Finally out of limbo and can progress!