IELTS......not good

Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Wishwanderer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS......not good

Originally Posted by geelong
I found the test material from www.scottsenglish.com to be extremely useful, it really helped to get into the mindset of the answers required. You really need to understand what they are looking for in the questions/answers.
Great minds think alike I subscribed to the site yesterday, and it does seem to be very helpful, especially the Practice Lab.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

I found the test material from www.scottsenglish.com to be extremely useful, it really helped to get into the mindset of the answers required. You really need to understand what they are looking for in the questions/answers.
dont you have to pay a subscription to use that site?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ChocCake
dont you have to pay a subscription to use that site?
Yes, but I thought it worth every penny.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

hydeteru is a jewel in the roughhydeteru is a jewel in the roughhydeteru is a jewel in the roughhydeteru is a jewel in the rough

Yes, but I thought it worth every penny.
It's best to use the official practice materials from IELTS

http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...rticle259.aspx
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Another thing that disturbed me about the IELTS was that, when I sat down for the speaking part, I was told by the examiner, 'since you're a native speaker, you're going to have to go into a LOT of detail.'

I must have gone into enough detail because I did well on this section, but the attitude really annoyed me, as it implied that we native speakers were being penalised for happening to be native speakers, that in order to get a 9 we'd have to deliver flowing oratories, whereas a non-native speaker could just sputter out any old coherent answer to earn the same score. I'm afraid that, as more native speakers sit the IELTS due to these absurd migration rules, two sets of scoring may emerge: one for natives and one for non-natives, and since the IELTS is supposedly designed to compare English ability to that of a native, this defeats the purpose of the entire test.

True, the speaking part shouldn't be a problem for most native speakers, since it is pretty straightforward. You just talk. But there are quite a few people who are shy, get test anxiety, or may be preoccupied about something else (e.g., an ill family member, an argument with a spouse...); they may give perfectly correct answers but not exactly have the gift of the gab. Should these people be penalised just because they're native speakers?

To use an analogy, someone whose parents are race car drivers isn't expected to perform better on a driving test than someone who may be the first person in his/her family to get behind the wheel. If you meet the standard (regardless of who you are), you should get the score. Enough said.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wishwanderer
Another thing that disturbed me about the IELTS was that, when I sat down for the speaking part, I was told by the examiner, 'since you're a native speaker, you're going to have to go into a LOT of detail.'

I must have gone into enough detail because I did well on this section, but the attitude really annoyed me, as it implied that we native speakers were being penalised for happening to be native speakers, that in order to get a 9 we'd have to deliver flowing oratories, whereas a non-native speaker could just sputter out any old coherent answer to earn the same score. I'm afraid that, as more native speakers sit the IELTS due to these absurd migration rules, two sets of scoring may emerge: one for natives and one for non-natives, and since the IELTS is supposedly designed to compare English ability to that of a native, this defeats the purpose of the entire test.

True, the speaking part shouldn't be a problem for most native speakers, since it is pretty straightforward. You just talk. But there are quite a few people who are shy, get test anxiety, or may be preoccupied about something else (e.g., an ill family member, an argument with a spouse...); they may give perfectly correct answers but not exactly have the gift of the gab. Should these people be penalised just because they're native speakers?

To use an analogy, someone whose parents are race car drivers isn't expected to perform better on a driving test than someone who may be the first person in his/her family to get behind the wheel. If you meet the standard (regardless of who you are), you should get the score. Enough said.
Well, that wasnt said to me but I wonder did they mean that in order to acheive the proficiency score you need to put in alot of detail. Funny that as the interviewer kept stopping me and askign other questions. Maybe I was waffling.

Anyway, I'd say (and perhaps I'm wrong) that a person looking for a score of 6 would be required to go into less detail.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think that we are penalised. I am shy and gave quite short answers and when I was given my 2 minute talk, I ran out of things to say and I got 8.5.

I think that they meant that to get a 7 or above you need to say more than the most basic answers that the non-natives use to get a 4 or 5 I suppose.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Perhaps you're right. It sounds logical except that I hadn't told the examiner that I needed to get a certain score. I'd simply sat down and opened my mouth. He asked whether I was a native speaker, and when I replied in the affirmative, he simply said that I needed to go into a lot of detail because without it he wouldn't have anything to compare me to (given that I'm a native speaker). If anything, I may have just had a quirky examiner.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps you're right. It sounds logical except that I hadn't told the examiner that I needed to get a certain score. I'd simply sat down and opened my mouth. He asked whether I was a native speaker, and when I replied in the affirmative, he simply said that I needed to go into a lot of detail because without it he wouldn't have anything to compare me to (given that I'm a native speaker). If anything, I may have just had a quirky examiner.
Similar for me, when I went to sign it for my speaking, the lady noticed I was a native speaker, and said "so you need 7 or above then!" and I questioned how she knew and she said that most people taking it need to get that level, as most are off to Oz.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by xzibit
Similar for me, when I went to sign it for my speaking, the lady noticed I was a native speaker, and said "so you need 7 or above then!" and I questioned how she knew and she said that most people taking it need to get that level, as most are off to Oz.
but i think its bad they have that presumption even before you speak!! so i guess they'll be more lenient with non-native speaker?

now, do i say yes or not to that? i'm malaysian but have been speaking english all my life (near enough)... but my english would still be different to UK-born people, if i make any sense..?

or looking at it another way, they might "try" to mark native speakers 7 or above just to get them through..? LOL
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChocCake
but i think its bad they have that presumption even before you speak!! so i guess they'll be more lenient with non-native speaker?

now, do i say yes or not to that? i'm malaysian but have been speaking english all my life (near enough)... but my english would still be different to UK-born people, if i make any sense..?

or looking at it another way, they might "try" to mark native speakers 7 or above just to get them through..? LOL
Personally, I don't think country of origin would come into it to be fair. The speaking part is recorded, and I presume the tape is then sent off to be marked. The person marking it is just listening to a voice and marks it on how they perform and construct sentences. So I think that the examiner in the room is just there to ask the questions.

One thing that did stand out for me was, when the lady asked to see my passport, she said "a lovely BRITISH passport" with an emphasis on british. But I'm not sure whether they have to make it clear to the tape or not if you see what I mean.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

My examiner for the speaking section at Aston was a nice lady who had lived in Australia so we had a bit of a chat about that before and after the actual recorded part. She said that the scoring system is to compare people to fluent native speakers so by being one I should score 9.

I think that the examiner marks you directly at the time of the test and the recording is only made in the event of an appeal so that your score can be re-assessed. It was quite noticable during the day that everyone involved in the administering of the tests had english as a second language except the examiners for the speaking part.

Took mine on the 8th so results any time now
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Pom Mummy of Twins - PMT- is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all ielts boffins and congrats on passing the exam,
please could you answer a few quick questions for me?
i've just applied yesterday to sit ielts on 19/4 and wondered if i have time to order the official study pack as it said it can take 28days to be delivered?? did anyone get it sooner? and is it better to order from nearest site or from cambridge?
any help appreciated
cheers PMTx
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

SpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really nice

I'd recommend doing a lot of practice for this test. I got 9s and 8.5s across the board, apart from the writing test, where I got a 7. . . So I just scraped through.

I write numerous reports and technical essays as part of my job, and have grade A GCSEs in both English Language and Literature, so this was a tough one to understand as the criteria for level 7 are fairly low on first reading.

Like the Murphys I'm not bitter, but my message is don't take passing the test for granted. Do some research, and give it 100%
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:43 am
Just Joined

p031642 is on a distinguished road

It all depends on the type of questions you were being asked in the 4 areas, especially for Reading. If you are lucky enough, you'll get the "Fill in the blanks" questions in some of paragraph, the speed of speakers, what kind of quetions being asked in essays and speaking. Just my thought.

Originally Posted by SpeedyJon
I'd recommend doing a lot of practice for this test. I got 9s and 8.5s across the board, apart from the writing test, where I got a 7. . . So I just scraped through.

I write numerous reports and technical essays as part of my job, and have grade A GCSEs in both English Language and Literature, so this was a tough one to understand as the criteria for level 7 are fairly low on first reading.

Like the Murphys I'm not bitter, but my message is don't take passing the test for granted. Do some research, and give it 100%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.