Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IELTS: Is it necessary if you have Australian Degree.

IELTS: Is it necessary if you have Australian Degree.

Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:00 pm
mrt
Forum Regular

mrt will become famous soon enough
Default IELTS: Is it necessary if you have Australian Degree.

Hi,

Ive applied online without having undertaking IELTS , because my wife, who is the main applicant, did her uni studies in Australia and so did I. I was told by the skills assessing authority for her job that no IELTS were required because she studied in Australia. I am not from one of the countries specifically listed as being exempt from IELTS tests.

The more I'm reading this forum, the more worried I'm becoming.
What if the CO asks for IELTS?
Form what I gather IELTS have to be front loaded, does that mean my application is invalid?

Help please

Mrt
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS: Is it necessary if you have Australian Degree.

Hi Mrt

It will depend on what passport you hold and the visa you applied for as to whether you should have done IELTS aready (and if you will need to it at some stage).

If you are applying for a GSM visa, and you hold a British Passport (or US, Canadian, Irish), then you do not need to sit IELTS before submitting your application. If you need more than 15 points for English, then you will need to sit the IELTS at some stage to claim the additional points.

If you do not hold one of those passports then your application (for a GSM) will be invalid and returned to you.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:16 pm
mrt
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Veronika
Hi Mrt

It will depend on what passport you hold and the visa you applied for as to whether you should have done IELTS aready (and if you will need to it at some stage).

If you are applying for a GSM visa, and you hold a British Passport (or US, Canadian, Irish), then you do not need to sit IELTS before submitting your application. If you need more than 15 points for English, then you will need to sit the IELTS at some stage to claim the additional points.

If you do not hold one of those passports then your application (for a GSM) will be invalid and returned to you.
Hi Veronkika,
I actually have a Mauritian passport and we both have both SC and HSC and we are applying for Visa 175. My wife is a doctor, and there is a link on the DIMIA website for doctors. I emailed them also, and they also told me IELTS were not needed because she did her studies in Australia. We already have 120 points without the IELTS, but the more I read this site the more I get the impression I should have done the IELTS.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrt
Hi Veronkika,
I actually have a Mauritian passport and we both have both SC and HSC and we are applying for Visa 175. My wife is a doctor, and there is a link on the DIMIA website for doctors. I emailed them also, and they also told me IELTS were not needed because she did her studies in Australia. We already have 120 points without the IELTS, but the more I read this site the more I get the impression I should have done the IELTS.
FWIW a lot of us on here have sat IELTS for the extra points only (myself included)
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mehdi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Veronika
Hi Mrt

Hi...

I thought that I had passed the milestone after having received the AIM assessment. But, just before the weekend, I received my IETLS report. Eventhough my overall score is 7.5, to my surprise and dismay, I've scored 6 on the Reading part. This is the only band below 7.

I had sat for IELTS in Jan 2006 and I had scored overall 7.5 with the least score being 7. Since this score has expired, I sat for IELTS again on 14 Feb 2008.

Is there anything that I can do to claim 25 pionts on English proficiency? I have a previous accepatbale but expired IELTS, a Bachelors degree from USA and a Masters degree from Canada. Except for me, my wife and two children are all Canadian citizens.

Under these circumstance, can I still claim Proficient in English so I could get 25 points for my assessment? If not, that means I have to sit for IELTS again before being able to sumbit my application for 175?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mehdi
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mehdi
Hi...

I thought that I had passed the milestone after having received the AIM assessment. But, just before the weekend, I received my IETLS report. Eventhough my overall score is 7.5, to my surprise and dismay, I've scored 6 on the Reading part. This is the only band below 7.

I had sat for IELTS in Jan 2006 and I had scored overall 7.5 with the least score being 7. Since this score has expired, I sat for IELTS again on 14 Feb 2008.

Is there anything that I can do to claim 25 pionts on English proficiency? I have a previous accepatbale but expired IELTS, a Bachelors degree from USA and a Masters degree from Canada. Except for me, my wife and two children are all Canadian citizens.

Under these circumstance, can I still claim Proficient in English so I could get 25 points for my assessment? If not, that means I have to sit for IELTS again before being able to sumbit my application for 175?

You need to do the IELTS again.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mrt
Hi Veronkika,

I'm afraid both of you will still have to sit the IELTS test in spite of you having studied in Oz..
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:08 pm
mrt
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by olauf
I'm afraid both of you will still have to sit the IELTS test in spite of you having studied in Oz..
Can I still do the IELTS now or will they tell me when I have to do one?