Wikiposts

IELTS EXAM - HELP!!

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS EXAM - HELP!!

Originally Posted by Basty
HAS ANYONE SAT THE IELTS EXAM AND HOW DIFFICULT IS IT???

Don't ask why but for some stupid reason O/H now has to sit it as we are 5 points short!!!!!!
The IELTS is demanded because functional illiteracy is widespread in English speaking nations. That is not a "stupid reason" as you suggest.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

sampson will become famous soon enough

Passing the IELTS exam if you are a Native english speaker is a bit bit like re sitting your driving test 15 years after you first passed it, there's a good chance you'll fail if you don't swat up on the highway code and re learn the correct way to drive in order to pass. The IELTS is no different, you know how to speak, read, write and understand english, you just need to learn what they want from you in order to pass so instead of the highway code book, you'll need to swat up on IELTS practice test.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by NikiL
As others have said, preparation is the key to getting through it. Even if you are used to sitting exams it is essential to practise the IELTS tests - they're not like standard exams. (IMO anyway).

You can drop marks easily (as was also mentioned earlier) for putting 4 words instead of the required 3 - boils down to RTFQ

For what its worth, I'm sure some could get through without practise, but I wouldn't recommend it. The more familiar the format, the less stressful it will be, and the greater the likelihood of getting the mark you want. Best of luck to all those who still have to take it.
Hubby has taken for a 2nd time. It is not as easy as you may think. People assume that because you're British it will be easy peasy! Think again.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

I've noticed amongst our clients that non-English speaking nationals generally do much better at the IELTS test than English speakers, especially in the writing and speaking components.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

It is not as easy as you may think. People assume that because you're British it will be easy peasy! Think again.
I didn't intend to insinuate that it was easy, and my apologies if that was the way it came across. I sat it in mid November, and I don't believe I would have got the marks I did if I hadn't done a considerable amount of practice beforehand. A lot of exams are about exam technique, not getting the right answer (I have been sitting exams twice a year for the past 4 years, so I'm getting used to them now ), hence my comment about some could get through without practice. I still believe some could, but not many.

Out of curiousity, did your husband sit it in Portsmouth mid Nov? Met a few people there who were sitting for the second time. Good bunch of peeps, we got into quite a debate with the examiner after the main test was finished as to why everyone wanted to leave the UK
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

stevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant future

Hi All,

I would agree that the test is much harder than you think! especially after just resitting mine for the second time in Nottingham on saturday.
failed mine the first time on the reading element with a score of 6.0 otherwise sailed through but did swat a little with the practice material Anyway just a comment really, that a guy there was on his third attempt and he told me that when he took his second go that there was somebody taking there seventh try!!! I suppose that some of us can handle exam situations better than others native english speakers or not. Ive been in a learning envrioment for the last four years but still hate the pressure of sitting exams.

Regards,
Steve..
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:02 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

There is a NZ site with practice stuff see http://www.ilsnz.com I think...if not go through our own website below. Holmesglen TAFE also have somehting on their international page http://www.holmesglen.vic.edu.au cheers Andrew
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

Thanks for the website, all help much appreciated, I'm just glad its not me taking the exam and its my OH!!!