IELTS Enquiry

Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS Enquiry

Originally Posted by ashftc89
Yes, that's exactly what I am trying to say. Clear structure and sentence articulation is another and I do have taken that on board too. Indeed, I do. Infact, you can say, I read different topics, articles, IELTS reading material, forum discussions for around 3-5 hours a day on daily basis. Additionally, I have recently finished my academic research which was part of my degree coursework. To do so, I have read, say, atleast over 300 articles and various other relevant researches. Please advise me openly about how you feel about language strengths and weaknesses and any potential area of improvement.
I think you need to read fiction works to give your writing a more natural style. You should try mimicking the styles you can find in some sample pieces. Sometimes using complex vocabulary when simple words will do works against you. But those are my thoughts, someone else might view things differently.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think the word you were looking for was 'attract' instead of magnet.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's exactly what I am trying to say. Clear structure and sentence articulation is another and I do have taken that on board too. Indeed, I do. Infact, you can say, I read different topics, articles, IELTS reading material, forum discussions for around 3-5 hours a day on daily basis. Additionally, I have recently finished my academic research which was part of my degree coursework. To do so, I have read, say, atleast over 300 articles and various other relevant researches. Please advise me openly about how you feel about language strengths and weaknesses and any potential area of improvement.
I do think that old.sparkles has hit the nail on the head by encouraging you to read more. There are some obvious grammatical errors that have been mentioned, but more than that, there is something "unnatural" sounding about your writing. Hard to put a finger on to be honest, but your writing just doesn't flow the way that it would from a native speaker. I think this can only come with practice in both reading and writing.

But you have a great attitude, you are trying hard and are looking for corrections not getting upset about them (as some do would you believe!). I think your English is only going to get better from here. Keep reading, keep watching UK TV shows. Good luck with your test.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

shah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to share my strategy for writing component. Kindly, present your comments over it.

1. Read the requirements carefully and start planning for both, letter and essay (6 Minutes).

2. Letter writing (12 minutes)

3. Essay writing (22 minutes)

4. Replace simple vocabulary and conjunctive adverbs with their next best synonym which I am learning and focus on structure of sentences (10 minutes)

5. Proofreading Letter for structure, paragraph, grammar, spelling and overall (4 minutes)

6. Do the same for essay (6 minutes)

I am doing a lot of practice to identify what should be the estimated length of 250 words according to my font, so that I shouldn't be counting the words at that span of time. To be more sure, I'll aim to write a sentence or two more to be on the safe side which will a bit quicker then exact counting. At least, that would make me sure that I have fulfilled the requirement. Secondly, rather than investing my time on word count, an extra sentence might can contribute towards my overall score.

How do you think about my strategy?
And how many minutes you will require to count these minutes?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

ashftc89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shah
And how many minutes you will require to count these minutes?
There is something we call wrist watch
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I do think that old.sparkles has hit the nail on the head by encouraging you to read more. There are some obvious grammatical errors that have been mentioned, but more than that, there is something "unnatural" sounding about your writing. Hard to put a finger on to be honest, but your writing just doesn't flow the way that it would from a native speaker. I think this can only come with practice in both reading and writing.

But you have a great attitude, you are trying hard and are looking for corrections not getting upset about them (as some do would you believe!). I think your English is only going to get better from here. Keep reading, keep watching UK TV shows. Good luck with your test.
I would like to thank you on pointing out my lacking and encouraging me. As I am not a native speaker, the best thing I can do is to practice. What I am trying to do is read general native speaker comments over the forums regarding any information I need. It's a win-win situation for me as not only I extract the information I need, but I also learn how do natives articulate their sentences. The difference I felt between a general native speaker and someone over the media is a random person with English as his mother tongue would try to keep his sentence simple and easy to understand with "some" uncommon vocabulary usage. Whereas, for some English TV shows and most movies, their sentence structure are highly articulated with uncommon vocabulary usage more often. Sometimes it is hard, or in worst case, maybe unable to catch the sentence flow specially in English movies for non-native speaker. I don't know if my assumption is generally accepted among non-natives, however, this leads me to ask a question. Shall I keep my sentence structure highly simple and clear with "some" use of not so common vocabulary or shall I be more articulated in designing my sentence with more frequent use of unheard synonyms?

I hope to hearing from you comprehensively

Regards,

Muhammad.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to thank you on pointing out my lacking and encouraging me. As I am not a native speaker, the best thing I can do is to practice. What I am trying to do is read general native speaker comments over the forums regarding any information I need. It's a win-win situation for me as not only I extract the information I need, but I also learn how do natives articulate their sentences. The difference I felt between a general native speaker and someone over the media is a random person with English as his mother tongue would try to keep his sentence simple and easy to understand with "some" uncommon vocabulary usage. Whereas, for some English TV shows and most movies, their sentence structure are highly articulated with uncommon vocabulary usage more often. Sometimes it is hard, or in worst case, maybe unable to catch the sentence flow specially in English movies for non-native speaker. I don't know if my assumption is generally accepted among non-natives, however, this leads me to ask a question. Shall I keep my sentence structure highly simple and clear with "some" use of not so common vocabulary or shall I be more articulated in designing my sentence with more frequent use of unheard synonyms?

I hope to hearing from you comprehensively

Regards,

Muhammad.
If in doubt ... keep it simple.

Watching UK and US movies might be difficult at first and you might not follow everything, but keep at it and it will come. I don't notice any real difference between how people in a movie speak and how people speak in real life, definitely don't find it any more complicated.

And be encouraged, your English is good in that you can make yourself understood, it doesn't yet flow properly but it is also not full of glaring mistakes. The "attract points" and "magnet points" was a mistake but really quite a funny one though.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If in doubt ... keep it simple.

Watching UK and US movies might be difficult at first and you might not follow everything, but keep at it and it will come. I don't notice any real difference between how people in a movie speak and how people speak in real life, definitely don't find it any more complicated.

And be encouraged, your English is good in that you can make yourself understood, it doesn't yet flow properly but it is also not full of glaring mistakes. The "attract points" and "magnet points" was a mistake but really quite a funny one though.
Thank you Well, I'm glad that my mistake makes you smile. If you have some spare time and if funny words and accent makes you laugh, watch "Mind your language" show over Youtube. You'll have a blast By the way, thank you for everything.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:27 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Well, I'm glad that my mistake makes you smile. If you have some spare time and if funny words and accent makes you laugh, watch "Mind your language" show over Youtube. You'll have a blast By the way, thank you for everything.
I remember Mind Your Language when it was shown on the TV
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I remember Mind Your Language when it was shown on the TV