Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IELTS - Academic or General test? and partner also?

IELTS - Academic or General test? and partner also?

Old May 22nd 2007, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

clemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS - Academic or General test? and partner also?

I am registering for the IELTS to gain the extra points requirement effective Sept 1st and am wondering which IELTS test we need - Academic or General????? This will not be a requirement for my skills assessment just for the extra points to justify 'Proficient' use of the english language.

Also, does my spouse need to take the test too or just the main applicant?

I appreciate any advise.

Thanks
Corie
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:01 am
Respect My Authority!

Zoran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS - Academic or General test? and partner also?

Hi Corie,

It's general level. If you are native speakers, your spouse does not need to take it.

Good luck.

Zoran
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you are claiming extra points for your spouse then they will have to take the test as well (but could be wrong!)
Be glad that you only have to sit the general test, we ordered a practice book and it is very, very easy, my 10 year old daughter could do it, no problem.
However the academic test is a different story (OH has just had to do this, even though he is born and bred in the UK) lots of analysing of data and graphs etc. Good job I wasn't doing it, as I'm hopeless at figures and statistics, more than like maths to me!
PS OH had problems finding an IELTS centre with spare spaces, some were booked for 6 months in advance. He had travel to Southampton for it and said there were over 80 people doing it! I guess its probably busier at the moment with overseas students needing to sit it.
Good luck, anyway
Sammy
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:22 am
Respect My Authority!

Zoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, that's not absolutely true. There are 4 tests (writing, reading, speaking and listening) and only 2 are different (writing and reading).
IMHO, if you are over 25 years old, the academic test could be even easier because it’s more “serious” and deals with “fields” of life and business
which are much closer to an adult than things like “explain pros and cons of home work in prim/sec schools”. Of course, you should prepare yourself for
writing interpretations of charts and statistics, just like any other test taker not familiar with these. You can find loads of examples in prep books and test specimens.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
I think if you are claiming extra points for your spouse then they will have to take the test as well (but could be wrong!)
Be glad that you only have to sit the general test, we ordered a practice book and it is very, very easy, my 10 year old daughter could do it, no problem.
However the academic test is a different story (OH has just had to do this, even though he is born and bred in the UK) lots of analysing of data and graphs etc. Good job I wasn't doing it, as I'm hopeless at figures and statistics, more than like maths to me!
PS OH had problems finding an IELTS centre with spare spaces, some were booked for 6 months in advance. He had travel to Southampton for it and said there were over 80 people doing it! I guess its probably busier at the moment with overseas students needing to sit it.
Good luck, anyway
Sammy
For spouse points, there is no need for spouse to do IELTS if the holder of a british passport (or Canadian, Irish, US or NZ). for claiming Spouse points, Spouse will need English score of either 15 (minimum of 5 in each IELTS category) or 20 (minimum of 6 in each IELTS category as 20 points will no longer exist) - depending on the skills assessment. The spouse is deemed to score at least 6 in each if the holder of one of the above-mentioned passports.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

clemon is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect...and what you're saying is because my spouse is a native English speaker with a Canadian passport he shouldn't have to complete the IELTS test. I assume I would just get the basic spouse points for him then...

As for me, I have just registered for the IELTS General Training test in late August or mid Sept sitting here in Canada - yes, the space is limited so it takes a while to secure a spot.

Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated!

Corie