Ielts

Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

jwlms will become famous soon enough
Default Ielts

I am English, born in England, lived all my life in England and sat all my exams (including CIMA) in English - therefore can anyone tell me how I can prove my compentence in English without doing a IELTS. The Adelaide centre just tells me its up to me to prove my English ability, no much help really!

Thanks in advance

Jason
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Smile wondering exactly the same thing!!!!

hi there, my friends whom have been granted their visas, just provided their english language o'level certificates and also incorporated a covering letter with their application... page 35 of booklet 6 (re general skilled migration), states, that you must provide evidence that you are a 'native english speaker', and goes on to say 'in some cases, providing evidence that you have undertaken post-secondary studies at an institution where all instruction was in english may give you points for english'... so i would consider that submitting all of your post secondary qualification certificates i.e. trade or university, and of course also your skills/trade assessment would be ample proof... however this is just my assumption... the booklet also states, if there is any doubt about your ability in the english language, DIMIA may ask you to undertake an IELTS test, waiver of the tests is at the discretion of the migration officer processing your application...

i emailed DIMIA regarding this matter for absolute clarification, just got a very brief email saying 'read booklet 6', so back to square one then!!!! i would also like further information, but like i said my friends just did the aforementioned....

hope i haven't just repeated what you already, probably know...

honeybob...

does anyone have further information?
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

pbarter is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: wondering exactly the same thing!!!!

Jason - I'm exactly the same as you - even the CIMA bit. I honestly can't see them doubting our english langage abilities. We shall se though!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wondering exactly the same thing!!!!

British people are not normally asked to provide specific proof of English ability.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by pbarter
Jason - I'm exactly the same as you - even the CIMA bit. I honestly can't see them doubting our english langage abilities. We shall se though!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Talking hiya...

being a geordie, they should ask for proof of english language ability, joke!!!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hans de Visser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wondering exactly the same thing!!!!

Originally Posted by pbarter
I honestly can't see them doubting our english langage abilities. We shall se though!
I assume you were being sarcastic there

Last edited by Hans de Visser; Aug 13th 2004 at 12:08 am.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:18 pm
Lance

Default Re: Ielts

I am no expert but how about a letter from your university saying that
you completed your higher education in English. To tell you the truth
you may not even have to do that since you are from an English
speaking country. I had to IELTS because I come from a non-english
speaking country myself. This is my opinion only so hopefully some of
the experts in the group will give you some solid advice on this.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wink joking!!!!

am a geordie, and proud of it, but can put on the posh when patients look at you like your sharing their entonox!!!!!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile your from brisbane!!!!

hans, have just seen that you're in brisbane, excellent!!! we are looking to go there or the gold coast area, although a girl i met from brisbane, told me that the gold coast was tacky!!! is this the case? what would you recommend????

and i know that it is becoming an obsession of mine, but the spider thing, is it really terrible... a colleague at work suggested hypnotherapy, i laughed hysterically, then realised she wasn't joking, oops!

did manage to look at a few websites (through my fingers), while the same colleague, described them to me, ie. hairy, large, hairy, fast, oh!this one has 8 eyes, you get the drift!

how do you cope?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

jwlms will become famous soon enough
Smile Ielts

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I awaiting news from my skills assessment, and then I will just send along my qualifications with all the other stuff that makes up my life history !!!!

My wife is from South Africa, do you think she will have to a IELTS ?

We are thinking of moving to Perth. Any views ?

Jason