Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

I want to apply for SS but my occupation has been removed from most states' SMP

I want to apply for SS but my occupation has been removed from most states' SMP

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:38 am
Just Joined

thaiphv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I want to apply for SS but my occupation has been removed from most states' SMP

Dear all,

My question is, can I apply for SS any time or do I have to wait until the new plan is opened?

Thai.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to apply for SS but my occupation has been removed from most states' SMP

At risk of stating the obvious, if your occupation is open on the sponsorship list you can apply and if it isn't you can't.

Have I misunderstood the question?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:57 am
Just Joined

thaiphv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I want to apply for SS but my occupation has been removed from most states' SMP

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
At risk of stating the obvious, if your occupation is open on the sponsorship list you can apply and if it isn't you can't.

Have I misunderstood the question?
Bermudashorts,

Thanks for your quick answer. In fact, I have a ICT occupation but as you know most states have stopped sponsored any ICT-related apps. If I'm correct, the SMPs will be open again next Jul. So do I have to wait ultil Jul to apply for SS or should I apply for it now and wait until the new SMP available?

Thai
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

That depends on if your occupation would be on the next list, which depends on there being enough new and long lasting job vacancies to trigger a review of that occupation for inclusion in the list.

Your other option is to look at employer sponsored visas.

Just because an occupation does not make a list does not mean there is no shortage in that occupation.

It just means that the occupation is not a high enough priority in that state to replace other occupations on the list.

Remember the state has limited quota so they have to decide which occupations they want the most urgently and those go on the list - mostly occupations found in state Govt positions like hospitals, civil engineering, leading edge IT etc.