Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

I repair and maintain large industrial machinery - what's my occupation please?

I repair and maintain large industrial machinery - what's my occupation please?

Old Dec 29th 2022, 8:44 am
Just Joined

ScottishThistle1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I repair and maintain large industrial machinery - what's my occupation please?

Hi all
Me and my missus are just starting our Australia migration process
So the first thing is for me to do a skills assessment
Don't know if I'm being really stupid but I'm struggling to find my exact occupation in the list. And correct me if I'm wrong but if I choose the wrong one then it's about £700 down the drain after I pay for the skills assessment? Haha

I am surprised because my job is quite a common one here in the UK and I thought (maybe wrongly) that it would be in demand in Aus. Basically a person in a mine, factory or plant that repairs and maintains the machines, pumps, plant, and so on.

My actual job title is "Site Engineer" (even though we're not real engineers.. but let's not open that can of worms). Common job titles for it are: Industrial Mechanic. Industrial Electrician. Fitter. Industrial Engineer. Maintenance Engineer. Maintenance Worker. My apprenticeship title is Electromechanical Technician (Maintainance and Operations) and I hold a Level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations, Level 3 BTEC in Engineering (Mechanical and Electrical Principles) and Level 3 NVQ in Engineering Maintenance. All of these qualifications cover electrical and mechanical topics, some welding, lots of health and safety, some machine shop work (lathes, milling). In my day-to-day job I work on mechanical problems (gears, chains, belts, bearings, etc), electrical problems (PLCs, relays, contactors, motors, sensors, control circuits), hydraulics and pneumatic problems (valves, cylinders)

On the skilled occupation list there's:

UNIT GROUP 3232 METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS. The descriptions don't fit what I do - it's more of a machinist occupation, producing components.

UNIT GROUP 3411 ELECTRICIANS. This is more for qualified and registered electricians who do installation work. I can't do what a typical electrician would do (install a new circuit to power a new machine, for example) but a typical electrician can't do what I do (diagnose, troubleshoot, repair or modify the internal electrics of an industrial machine)

UNIT GROUP 3423 ELECTRONICS TRADES WORKERS seems to be the closest but if you read the descriptions it seems to be more about people who fit CCTV and stuff like that? However right at the bottom there's "342315 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT TRADES WORKER (SPECIAL CLASS) Alternative Title:
Industrial Measurement and Control Technician Installs, modifies, maintains and repairs complex electronic instruments and control systems which involve a combination of electrical, electronic, mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic principles. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3"
which to be fair does sound quite close.

Last edited by ScottishThistle1991; Dec 29th 2022 at 9:54 am.
Old Dec 29th 2022, 10:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I repair and maintain large industrial machinery - what's my occupation plea

Originally Posted by ScottishThistle1991
Hi all
Me and my missus are just starting our Australia migration process
So the first thing is for me to do a skills assessment
Don't know if I'm being really stupid but I'm struggling to find my exact occupation in the list. And correct me if I'm wrong but if I choose the wrong one then it's about £700 down the drain after I pay for the skills assessment? Haha

I am surprised because my job is quite a common one here in the UK and I thought (maybe wrongly) that it would be in demand in Aus. Basically a person in a mine, factory or plant that repairs and maintains the machines, pumps, plant, and so on.

My actual job title is "Site Engineer" (even though we're not real engineers.. but let's not open that can of worms). Common job titles for it are: Industrial Mechanic. Industrial Electrician. Fitter. Industrial Engineer. Maintenance Engineer. Maintenance Worker. My apprenticeship title is Electromechanical Technician (Maintainance and Operations) and I hold a Level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations, Level 3 BTEC in Engineering (Mechanical and Electrical Principles) and Level 3 NVQ in Engineering Maintenance. All of these qualifications cover electrical and mechanical topics, some welding, lots of health and safety, some machine shop work (lathes, milling). In my day-to-day job I work on mechanical problems (gears, chains, belts, bearings, etc), electrical problems (PLCs, relays, contactors, motors, sensors, control circuits), hydraulics and pneumatic problems (valves, cylinders)

On the skilled occupation list there's:

UNIT GROUP 3232 METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS. The descriptions don't fit what I do - it's more of a machinist occupation, producing components.

UNIT GROUP 3411 ELECTRICIANS. This is more for qualified and registered electricians who do installation work. I can't do what a typical electrician would do (install a new circuit to power a new machine, for example) but a typical electrician can't do what I do (diagnose, troubleshoot, repair or modify the internal electrics of an industrial machine)

UNIT GROUP 3423 ELECTRONICS TRADES WORKERS seems to be the closest but if you read the descriptions it seems to be more about people who fit CCTV and stuff like that? However right at the bottom there's "342315 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT TRADES WORKER (SPECIAL CLASS) Alternative Title:
Industrial Measurement and Control Technician Installs, modifies, maintains and repairs complex electronic instruments and control systems which involve a combination of electrical, electronic, mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic principles. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3"
which to be fair does sound quite close.
I just asked you a similar question on your other thread

I was an industrial electrician doing similar work, but completed an electrical apprenticeship so was assessed as electrician (special class) - can't remember the ANZSCO code.

There is ANZSCO 233914 - Engineering Technologist. It's assessed by Engineers Australia - https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...lls-assessment

What was your degree in?
Old Dec 29th 2022, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Default Re: I repair and maintain large industrial machinery - what's my occupation plea

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I just asked you a similar question on your other thread

I was an industrial electrician doing similar work, but completed an electrical apprenticeship so was assessed as electrician (special class) - can't remember the ANZSCO code.

There is ANZSCO 233914 - Engineering Technologist. It's assessed by Engineers Australia

What was your degree in?
Hi Sparkles

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Electrician special class - I saw that on the SOL, but got put off by the fact it says "Registration or licensing is required."
I am not a registered or licenced electrician to my knowledge - I am apprenticeship trained and know a lot about how machines work, and have a lot of electrical qualifications to back myself up with, but still, not registered or licenced

My degree was in something totally unrelated (business studies) - bit of a waste of time, oh well!

Old Dec 29th 2022, 10:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sparkles

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Electrician special class - I saw that on the SOL, but got put off by the fact it says "Registration or licensing is required."
I am not a registered or licenced electrician to my knowledge - I am apprenticeship trained and know a lot about how machines work, and have a lot of electrical qualifications to back myself up with, but still, not registered or licenced

My degree was in something totally unrelated (business studies) - bit of a waste of time, oh well!
Electrician is a licensed trade in Australia which is what is meant by the 'Registration / Licensing required'- and has a lot of hoops to jump through.

The skills assessment is two part - first they assess your qualifications and experience, and if successful there are practical and theory tests. I was fine with the theory, DOL starter, fault finding, and disconnect / reconnect. The house bashing part is straight forward but I struggled with an off set bend. Got there in the end, so all good.

If successful, you are issued an OTSR (Overseas Technical Skills Record). You then need to do wiring rules, OH&S and CPR. Once done (or while doing - can't remember) you can get a Provisional license so you can complete e-Profiling, working under supervision.

There may be some additional tests - each state does things a little different.

All up, and 10 years ago, I think the skills assessment was approaching $2700 AUD - with another $2K for the additional training, and maybe $500 on first license.

If you go the Engineering Technologist route I think you may need a qualification at HNC level or better - but they are pretty helpful so may be worth asking.
Old Dec 29th 2022, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Electrician is a licensed trade in Australia which is what is meant by the 'Registration / Licensing required'- and has a lot of hoops to jump through.

The skills assessment is two part - first they assess your qualifications and experience, and if successful there are practical and theory tests. I was fine with the theory, DOL starter, fault finding, and disconnect / reconnect. The house bashing part is straight forward but I struggled with an off set bend. Got there in the end, so all good.

If successful, you are issued an OTSR (Overseas Technical Skills Record). You then need to do wiring rules, OH&S and CPR. Once done (or while doing - can't remember) you can get a Provisional license so you can complete e-Profiling, working under supervision.

There may be some additional tests - each state does things a little different.

All up, and 10 years ago, I think the skills assessment was approaching $2700 AUD - with another $2K for the additional training, and maybe $500 on first license.

If you go the Engineering Technologist route I think you may need a qualification at HNC level or better - but they are pretty helpful so may be worth asking.
Thanks so much Sparkles.

What are the odds that the first person I meet on here is another industrial electrician? Haha!

All looks pretty good - thanks.

Offset bend - never messed around much with metal conduit! Nowadays people just seem to use SWA for everything!

Although I noticed on the Trades Recognition Australia website, if I went down the "342315 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT TRADES WORKER (SPECIAL CLASS)" pathway, this doesn't require an overseas skills assessment - instead it puts you down the migration skills assessment, which looks to be more about a review of your qualifications and employment history, rather than a practical observation. Not sure if that is harder to achieve though

Overall, I just have my fingers crossed then that I can simply tag along on my wife's visa if she passes her skill assessment for her healthcare profession!
Old Dec 29th 2022, 10:49 am

.....Offset bend - never messed around much with metal conduit! Nowadays people just seem to use SWA for everything!............
Sorry, should have said - it was PVC so a lot easier than metal.
Old Dec 30th 2022, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

IT would be worth speaking to a registered migration agent.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

MO_90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much Sparkles.

What are the odds that the first person I meet on here is another industrial electrician? Haha!

All looks pretty good - thanks.

Offset bend - never messed around much with metal conduit! Nowadays people just seem to use SWA for everything!

Although I noticed on the Trades Recognition Australia website, if I went down the "342315 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT TRADES WORKER (SPECIAL CLASS)" pathway, this doesn't require an overseas skills assessment - instead it puts you down the migration skills assessment, which looks to be more about a review of your qualifications and employment history, rather than a practical observation. Not sure if that is harder to achieve though

Overall, I just have my fingers crossed then that I can simply tag along on my wife's visa if she passes her skill assessment for her healthcare profession!
Hi mate, how is your visa application coming along? Have you applied for any jobs or spoken to potential employers?

It feels like I am talking to myself here as you have a very similar background. I done my apprenticeship as a maintenance engineer at an FMCG factory (lots of plc driven motor controls, convertor belts, hydraulic power packs) and got an SVQ level 3 Engineering Maintenance and HNC electrical engineer. I then got a job as an electrical field service engineer working on uninterruptible power supplies, servicing/maintenance, fault finding and commissioning with some DC installs.

My wife works in health care as a nurse so she is golden but I'm a bit concerned about my own background.
I'm not overly confident that I would pass an electrical trade test or even eligible to attempt it as my background is very niche. Sure I can calculate cable sizes, run, cut, crimp and terminate them into a motor or UPS but I am not a qualified electrician.

P.s I agree with you on the Engineer front, it's a title that's abused in the UK, I am really a technician.
Looking forward to hearing how you've got on mate.

Cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You do realise you are included under your wife's application, so don't need a separate visa?