Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

I’m British, wife & 2 kids have citizenship...easy?

I’m British, wife & 2 kids have citizenship...easy?

Old Oct 26th 2018, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Bensmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I’m British, wife & 2 kids have citizenship...easy?

Hi,

My wife and I intend to move to Adelaide in March 2019. We’ve been together for 17 yrs, joint homeowners for 15 yrs, married for 6 yrs and will have a 2yr old and 3yr old by that time (all in the UK)
My Wife and both of the kids have both British and Australian passports (kids by descent)

Perhaps foolishly, I wasn’t expecting there to be any blockers but this was based on gut feel and not facts. Having started researching I’m already worried that it’ll take 2yrs and cost at least $7000 AUD.

I turned 44 last month.

We both intend to work, although I can wait a few months if needs be when I get there.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ben
Old Oct 27th 2018, 1:00 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I’m British, wife & 2 kids have citizenship...easy?

Applying in Australia can now take several years to process and although you’ll be on a bridging visa it’s not ideal to effectively be in immigration limbo for that length of time. Better to apply from the UK and arrive in Australia as a permanent resident from the get-go.

How and when did your wife become a British citizen?
Old Oct 27th 2018, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for responding. My wife was born in the UK but moved to Australia at the age of 10 for the following 10 years during which time she was granted citizenship (along with her mother, sister and two brothers who live in Adelaide)

Best regards

Ben
Old Oct 27th 2018, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Sorry, she moved to Australia in 1988 (ish)
Old Oct 27th 2018, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Get your application in to London asap. As long as you've been a good boy and are healthy it should be straightforward given the length of your relationship and your kids. I don't think London processing time have blown out to 2 years yet and you might get lucky like people did last Christmas where straightforward cases were issued in around 6 weeks. They may decide on a clearing of the backlog this year too.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 6:00 am
Just Joined

That would be fantastic, I’ll get on to it now. I should be OK with health and character as no medical conditions and I’ve previously been SC security Cleared with HMG.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 12:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Six weeks might be a bit ambitious. I would count on six to twelve months with anything sooner being a bonus. Making your application ‘grant ready’ (all the necessary supporting documentation uploaded and your health and police checks completed) will help your chances of an early grant. The sooner you lodge the application then the earlier your place in the queue will be. You can lodge this weekend even if it takes you a week or so to gather and upload your supporting documentation.