How to Resume Australian Citizenship?

Old May 6th 2008, 8:07 am
sha
Forum Regular

sha is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to Resume Australian Citizenship?

I am hoping to emigrating to Australia and would like my elderly mum (80yrs and in good health) to make the move with us too.
Mum and Dad both lived in Australia for 6 years between 1965 - 1971. My dad was working in the Australian Air force for this duration. I was born in 1970, Shortly after we all returned to the UK.
My question is - how do i find out if she was an Australian Citizen as this would save us having to get her an expensive visa.
I have asked her and unfortunatly she cant remember and my dad is no longer around for me to ask - as he most probably sorted everything out for both of them.
I have found a few keepsakes documents and saving account books etc but nothing to suggest Australian Citizenship.
I have found the passport they used to leave Australia which was a UK passport - that they applied for in Canberra when they left Australia in 1971.
What should i do and who can i contact to check. Can she re-aply for Australian Citizenship and the fact that my dad was in the Australian Air force - does this go in her favour even though it was so long ago.
I have dual nationality and am currenty in the process of getting my AUstralian passport. We are hoping to move later next year after a visit planned for Feb09 to Perth. Any Advice to help would be great. Thanks
Old May 6th 2008, 12:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Resume Australian Citizenship?

You are not asking about "resumption" of Australian citizenship - you are asking if it was ever acquired in the first place.

The best way is likely to be to fill out a form 119 and force DIAC to do a search of their systems: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf

Don't be surprised if the answer is no. Most British migrants at the time did not take up the opportunity to become Australian citizens.

I very much doubt that your mother can get a resident return visa after all this time (sorry) and I would strongly recommend professional assistance on the contributory parent visa options. Ian Harrop is a good option in the U.K. - http://www.ianharrop.co.uk
Old May 6th 2008, 3:20 pm
sha
Forum Regular

Question Re: How to Resume Australian Citizenship?

Thanks for the reply. Have had a look at form 119 but it ask's for a date of when applied for Citizenship and where applied.
As i dont even know if she ever did what could i put in this field.
Do you think if i emailed the DIAC and asked if they could do a system search to see if she had an Australian Passport then they might or does it not work like this. Also with my dad being in the Australian Airforce at the time they lived in Australia would this not go in her favour.
Thanks
Sha
Old May 6th 2008, 8:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sha
Thanks for the reply. Have had a look at form 119 but it ask's for a date of when applied for Citizenship and where applied.
As i dont even know if she ever did what could i put in this field.
She has to make the application. Not you. If she does make the application, she will need to give whatever information she has available.

But are you sure you're not clutching at straws here? If she can't remember becoming an Australian citizen then maybe the chances are she never did so.

Do you think if i emailed the DIAC and asked if they could do a system search to see if she had an Australian Passport then they might or does it not work like this.
They won't respond to that, sorry.

The other option your mother has is a Freedom of Information request to DFAT and/or DIAC. But again, it's hard to see how one could forget something so fundamental.

Also with my dad being in the Australian Airforce at the time they lived in Australia would this not go in her favour.
No, sorry.

Unless he became an Australian citizen, in which case maybe she applied at the same time?
Old May 15th 2008, 9:14 am
sha
Forum Regular

She has filled out the 119 Form, but what doc's does she need to send. She has the signed photo, does she need to send her birth Certificate too?
Thanks
Old May 15th 2008, 11:45 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sha
She has filled out the 119 Form, but what doc's does she need to send. She has the signed photo, does she need to send her birth Certificate too?
Thanks
Probably a certified copy of her birth certificate and passport ID page. I would also suggest explaining the situation on a covering letter, to minimise confusion.

The fee is the local equivalent of A$55.

Ironically if your father was still around, he would probably be able to migrate as a Former Resident due to his defence service. Is he now deceased? If so, this might give grounds to look for a visa on ministerial basis (get good professional advice) if the citizenship search comes up blank.

Last edited by JAJ; May 15th 2008 at 11:47 am.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:43 pm
sha
Forum Regular

Smile Re: How to Resume Australian Citizenship?

Thanks for all your advice, unfortunatally dad is deceased.
Anyway we will see what form 119 brings back.
Thanks again
Sha