Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

How long does the average 175 visa application take?

How long does the average 175 visa application take?

Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default How long does the average 175 visa application take?

I have just found out that my place of employment is to close at the end of August this year, My 175 visa application went in yesterday (as long as my agent has done it).

So what I want to know is what is the chance of my visa coming before my workplace closes? Do I need to look for another job, here in the UK?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:02 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does the average 175 visa application take?

hiya,

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong but online 175's are being processed pretty quickly at the moment, i think about 12 weeks? Paper based ones will take longer.

hope everything works out for you!

Therese
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
hiya,

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong but online 175's are being processed pretty quickly at the moment, i think about 12 weeks? Paper based ones will take longer.

hope everything works out for you!

Therese
What?? I thought they were still processing September ones and have only got a CO?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We applied over 3 months ago and have heard absolutely nothing.

So I think 12 weeks is a little optimistic, there were visas processed in that time but since then the queue has got bigger and therefore the delays have got longer.

If you look at http://www.beupdate.co.uk/ you'll get some idea but it is really variable. There are some still waiting from May last year (and earlier than that) and there have been October applicants that have already had their visas.

Sam
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by edie209
I have just found out that my place of employment is to close at the end of August this year, My 175 visa application went in yesterday (as long as my agent has done it).

So what I want to know is what is the chance of my visa coming before my workplace closes? Do I need to look for another job, here in the UK?
Blimey Edie, we are on the same timeline, with the exception that my job looks like being terminated on Friday 3rd October!

Personally, I can't wait for them to offer me redundancy
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seat151
Blimey Edie, we are on the same timeline, with the exception that my job looks like being terminated on Friday 3rd October!

Personally, I can't wait for them to offer me redundancy
So what are you doing then?are you going to get another job in the UK or hope that your visa arrives on time?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:16 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

oh right, I stand very corrected then! I had written down on my 'interesting things from BE' notepad that it was about 12 weeks for online but I can see that has changed. Thanks for the update all.

Therese
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

siandkim is an unknown quantity at this point

No way mate, My 175 has been in since Oct 08 and had nothing, I bloody wish it was 12 weeks.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I'm hoping that mine will take only 6 months (applied Oct 08).

Whether your occupation is on the SOL,MODL,CSL etc will determine when someone will actually look at your application.

From www.beupdate.co.uk it appears that July/August 08 people are only just starting to get theirs.

My job is on the CSL list so I'm hoping that I'll get a case officer anytime from mid Feb onwards.

I suppose if you were in employment up until August then if you applied now and everything was hunky dory then it's conceivable that you could have a visa before then.

It might be worth applying for this visa AND looking around for another job. If the visa process is delayed then you can have a job to fall back on, if the visa goes through fine then don't take up the job. Better have something to fall back on and have a choice what to do rather than not having something and therefore no choice if your plans go awry.

Have you thought about the extra time that police checks etc take to come through? I had my police check before applying for the 175. They're valid for a year and I know that there's the risk of the length of the visa process being so long that DIAC could ask for more - but I thought for the sake of 35 quid I'd rather just get them done straight away.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:54 am
CHB
BE Enthusiast

CHB is just really niceCHB is just really niceCHB is just really niceCHB is just really niceCHB is just really niceCHB is just really niceCHB is just really niceCHB is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I'm hoping that mine will take only 6 months (applied Oct 08).

Whether your occupation is on the SOL,MODL,CSL etc will determine when someone will actually look at your application.

From www.beupdate.co.uk it appears that July/August 08 people are only just starting to get theirs.

My job is on the CSL list so I'm hoping that I'll get a case officer anytime from mid Feb onwards.

I suppose if you were in employment up until August then if you applied now and everything was hunky dory then it's conceivable that you could have a visa before then.

It might be worth applying for this visa AND looking around for another job. If the visa process is delayed then you can have a job to fall back on, if the visa goes through fine then don't take up the job. Better have something to fall back on and have a choice what to do rather than not having something and therefore no choice if your plans go awry.

Have you thought about the extra time that police checks etc take to come through? I had my police check before applying for the 175. They're valid for a year and I know that there's the risk of the length of the visa process being so long that DIAC could ask for more - but I thought for the sake of 35 quid I'd rather just get them done straight away.
12 weeks processing was too optimistic. i've applied 175 on 2nd July 08 and have yet heard anything from DIAC apart from the Medicals was finalized, and that was 6 months ago. i'm looking forward to get something after 13th Feb 2009 as DIAC will kick start on the CSL applicant.