Wikiposts

How far back?

Old Jan 21st 2006, 2:56 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far back?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Two things here which seem to have got confused -
WelshTony's reply of - "Any Country you have lived in for an aggregate period of 12 months or more in the last 10 years. Where there is some criminal record or if for some reason DIMIA think it warranted, they can request clearances from Countries resided in for less than 12 months or further back than the usual 10 years." refers to countries you have lived in going back so many years. So if you lived in the USA (for instance) MORE than 10 years ago, you probably won't need a check from there (only if DIMIA think you warrant it)

However, each country has its own rules on how far back it keeps its own records. The UK still has offences on file from the 1920s and older. If you apply for a police check from the UK it will have ALL offences (still on record) on it, regardless of age - the 10 year thing is irrelevant here.

Sam's question seems to fall into the first category and has been answered by Tony.
Not all offences are sent for PNC as confirmed by my wife's godfather who's an ex copper. I had a court appearance and was fined for an offence relating to a direct contravention of the road traffic act, technicallly any offence that warrants a court appearance is Criminal not civil. This offence however did not show on my PNC and it was only in 1991.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: How far back?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know we dont apply for them yet but does anyone know how far police checks need to go back?

Someone said 10 years.

If its more than 18 then we are buggered.

Ours went back 23 years to when I was a bad lad. Don't worry got visa though sure nothing to prevent you, unless served more then 12months in prision.