how do you know when to apply?!

Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:32 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default how do you know when to apply?!

My OH and I are planning on moving to Oz late 2009. Looking at some other threads about timelines etc it seems that we could reasonably expect an online visa to be granted within about 3 months (straightforward independant visa).

So i'm wondering if we apply now in case it takes ages so we're all ready to go 2009 or if we leave it, apply say 6 months before we go and hope there's no problems? Thing is, if the visa got granted quickly then we couldn't really afford to do a validation trip and then come back here and move after another year or so. That would end up delaying our move as we'd have to save for a bit longer and put up with London longer!! On another point I'm thinking if we had our visa then we'd be more inclined to save harder and get ready to move. We feel a bit in limbo at the moment coz it seems so far away and too early to be preparing.

any advice gratefully received!

Therese
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all
Default Re: how do you know when to apply?!

Originally Posted by RedT
My OH and I are planning on moving to Oz late 2009. Looking at some other threads about timelines etc it seems that we could reasonably expect an online visa to be granted within about 3 months (straightforward independant visa).

So i'm wondering if we apply now in case it takes ages so we're all ready to go 2009 or if we leave it, apply say 6 months before we go and hope there's no problems? Thing is, if the visa got granted quickly then we couldn't really afford to do a validation trip and then come back here and move after another year or so. That would end up delaying our move as we'd have to save for a bit longer and put up with London longer!! On another point I'm thinking if we had our visa then we'd be more inclined to save harder and get ready to move. We feel a bit in limbo at the moment coz it seems so far away and too early to be preparing.

any advice gratefully received!

Therese
Hi Therese
If you are going in 2009, you cant leave anything to chance unfortunately the difference in the time lines are extreme.....you should be looking at the various spreadsheets which give you time lines for the different visa cats and depending on which visa you are going on you will be able to judge...i would of course get any additional points needed...ie if you need to sit the IELTS english test then do it now...if you need tra do it now...anything that you can do now you must do....meds and pcc would be a huge advantage to upload at the same time as the application.....good luck
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iwilldoit
Hi Therese
If you are going in 2009, you cant leave anything to chance unfortunately the difference in the time lines are extreme.....you should be looking at the various spreadsheets which give you time lines for the different visa cats and depending on which visa you are going on you will be able to judge...i would of course get any additional points needed...ie if you need to sit the IELTS english test then do it now...if you need tra do it now...anything that you can do now you must do....meds and pcc would be a huge advantage to upload at the same time as the application.....good luck
I have to say I disagree- meds and pccs have a 12 month validity period. if you don't want to go til 2009, don't get these done until you are within 12 months of wanting to go. otherwise you might need to get them done twice or do an expensive validation trip.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hereshoping
I have to say I disagree- meds and pccs have a 12 month validity period. if you don't want to go til 2009, don't get these done until you are within 12 months of wanting to go. otherwise you might need to get them done twice or do an expensive validation trip.
Sorry might have written my reply incorrectly what i meant was that when they decide to apply..it is now of benefit to upload them at the same time.....
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:01 pm
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough

The other fact is the visa rules change so you may not have enough points for the visa you want next year. Also if your not planning to leave until late 2009 then you need to make sure you will still qualify for citizenship if your going to go for it.

You could consider doing the PR 175 but instead of online you could do paper based which have not even been allocated for processing yet and there will be a backlog so maybe this is an option.

Scott.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:04 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

hiya!

thanks for the reply! Where do I find the spreadsheets?!

I think we're a straightforward case, OH is an accountant with enough experience etc. No medical issues for either of us, no criminal records etc. and we make the points without needing to do English tests etc. I feel like maybe we were being a bit blase about getting the visa but perhaps we should be applying sooner than we think!

Therese
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:16 pm
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Here

http://www.freespaces.com/britishexpats/Sept07.html
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iwilldoit
Sorry might have written my reply incorrectly what i meant was that when they decide to apply..it is now of benefit to upload them at the same time.....

So what you are saying is book your meds before you apply. I was going to wait till i was asked for them.
We are applying this week. Should I try and get meds booked today then.

I will also apply for police checks in Ireland, I need some for holland aswell but they are insisting on a letter from DIAC requesting them.
Is there anyway to get this letter before applying. Is there some page on the immi site that asks for it.
I could print that out then???
Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

So, say a straight forward application for 1 person was lodged, on a skilled 176 visa, how long roughly are you looking at it being approved? 12 months?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT

It's really difficult to advise delaying your application as the rules (or your circumstances) can change anytime.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:30 am
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Originally Posted by xzibit
So, say a straight forward application for 1 person was lodged, on a skilled 176 visa, how long roughly are you looking at it being approved? 12 months?
At the moment it seems quicker than this anywhere between 3+ months if FL everything and its straight forward but officially its 12 months, but its a new system and visa so it doesnt have the huge backlog.

Scottie.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:34 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

as other posters have said it may be an idea to get your skills assesment done as that can take some time in itself. My TRA took me well over 6 months to get everything toghether for before sending that off which took another month to get a decision. even if you do that bit quicker there's no time limit and you've got what feels like the worst part out of the way