How do I get a Tax File Number?

Old Nov 21st 2001, 11:13 am
Roly

Hi, I have heard Tax File Number mentioned in this news group, what is it? how do I
get one and why is it useful? - Roly

Old Nov 21st 2001, 11:51 am
Alan Collett

Hi Roly.

I think this page might answer your first and third questions:
http://www.collettandco.com/aussie_individuals.html

Having a TFN really becomes a requirement once you start work or self employment. For
example, if you are paid a salary and don't provide your employer with a Tax File
Number you will find you have tax deducted on all your salary at the rate of 48.5% =>
nasty shock!

This link will help you get a TFN:
http://www.ato.gov.au/level3.asp?pla...=AS/IN/EM/EM02

Hope this is of assistance.

Alan Collett alan-at-collettandco-dot-com Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534,
Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, and Member of
the Migration Institute of Australia, Number 1230 Collett & Co Chartered Accountants
W www.collettandco.com Enterprise House, Ocean Village, Southampton, Hampshire,
England, SO14 3XB, T +44 (0)2380 488786 Also at 5/11 Queens Road, Melbourne, VIC
3004, Australia, T +61 3 8530 7030, through www.gomatilda.com

Roly wrote in message ... Hi, I have heard Tax File Number mentioned in this news
group, what is it? how do I get one and why is it useful? - Roly

Old Nov 21st 2001, 6:15 pm
George Lombard

Hi Roly,

To get a Tax File Number you need a visa with permission to work. If your next
question will be how do I get a visa with permission to work, you should visit
www.immi.gov.au and read the visa pages carefully.

cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Roly wrote in message ...
    >
it?
    >

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 3:14 am
George O'Neill

"Roly" <[email protected]>
    >
    >

Roly, A tax file number is the Ozzy equivalent of a National Insurance number in the
UK or a social security number in the U.S. Its effectively a bank account where all
of your tax is paid into. You need to quote this number anywhere tax is an issue such
as employers,banks etc... You get one after you land in Oz. Call your nearest tax
office, number in the phone book or on the web , and they will send you a very simple
form. Make a copy of your visa and post it off. You should get the number back in a
week or so. If you dont have a tax file number, an employer will be forced to tax you
at the top rate of tax on all earnings. Thats nearly 50 percent in Oz.

George

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 4:54 am
Alan Collett

George,

Sorry, a TFN is not the same as a National Insurance Number in the UK. For example,
no NINO in the UK does not mean an employer has to deduct tax at the highest rate -
unlike in Australia when you don't quote a TFN.

Alan C

George O'Neill
    >
it?
    >

Roly, A tax file number is the Ozzy equivalent of a National Insurance number in the
UK or a social security number in the U.S. Its effectively a bank account where all
of your tax is paid into. You need to quote this number anywhere tax is an issue such
as employers,banks etc... You get one after you land in Oz. Call your nearest tax
office, number in the phone book or on the web , and they will send you a very simple
form. Make a copy of your visa and post it off. You should get the number back in a
week or so. If you dont have a tax file number, an employer will be forced to tax you
at the top rate of tax on all earnings. Thats nearly 50 percent in Oz.

George