Housing Prices

Old Jul 16th 2002, 4:20 am
Andrew

Default Re: Housing Prices

"Johnny Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
Forest Lake is a suburb they keep hammering in TV
    > ads here - you have to wonder why. Homes in that area have dropped in value from
    > average $160,000 3 years ago to $140,000 today.

Forest Lake is near both an army camp and a couple of fair sized prisons - and
therefore not thought to be in a top-notch location. The cheaper housing has
encouraged people of lower income to buy properties there which has probably put off
more 'snobby' people (yes they do exist here).

AndyH.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 12:20 pm
Johnny Boy

Andrew, Being financially well off, does not mean that you're snobby. If you can
afford it, you buy property in an area that is appreciating in value. All I'm doing
is informing people on where to buy should they want to protect their hard earned
savings. IMHO, you're better off in the long term, spending $250,000 on a modest home
in say, Wellington Point, than the same amount on an executive-style mansion in
Forest Lake, John

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "Johnny Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Forest Lake is a suburb they keep hammering in TV
    > > ads here - you have to wonder why. Homes in that area have dropped in
value
    > > from average $160,000 3 years ago to $140,000 today.
    >
    > Forest Lake is near both an army camp and a couple of fair sized prisons - and
    > therefore not thought to be in a top-notch location. The cheaper housing has
    > encouraged people of lower income to buy properties there which has probably put
    > off more 'snobby' people (yes they do exist here).
    >
    > AndyH.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 1:22 pm
Johnny Boy

"emma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thanks loads for these sites. The schools look lovely but I have to remember I am
    > not there yet. All this looking is making me just want to go now. Is there anything
    > you do recommend looking at, any research that would be good to do before we get
    > there, just to wind me up even more!

Emma, Tim Sorrell has quite a good website for newcomers migrating to Brisbane. I
think the address is: http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/

Tim has settled in quite a charming rural area just west of the city called Samford.
Some info on that area is included on his website as well.

> Did you take all your stuff over with you or buy when you arrived?

Best take everything with you. You won't be sure of your financial situation for a
while, like until you get work, or know what your normal outgoings will be etc. You
will chew through your funds when you first arrive, accomodation, buying a car, etc.
The last thing you want to do is to be spending up buying things to replace what you
left behind.

>How is the weather today?

It is mid-winter in Brisbane with typically the cloudless blue skies, but very dry
air, means dry skin and chapped lips. Slight sou'wester gave us a clear but chilly
day with a high of 21 degrees celsious.

> Cheers.
    >
Cheers to you, John

>
    >
    > --

Old Jul 16th 2002, 1:22 pm
Johnny Boy

Default Re: Housing Prices - Wellington Point

Hi Paul, Annie and Jack,

Just for your interest there are some proposals afoot with regard to redevelopment at
dear old Wello Point. The "Wello" pub is having major renovations, I believe the
whole aspect of the place is changing with the beer garden/BBQ area shifting around
to the side to take in the view of the bay and islands instead of the street. Also
there are plans to turn that disused carpark next to the "country chicken" place into
a sort of village green for street performers and play for children.

Cheers, John

"kango_jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > We can strongly recommend the Wellington Point area. We stayed three weeks in May
    > with Paul's sister who emigrated two years ago. Definatly the place to go if you
    > like big houses in quiet col-de-sacs where the children can ride their bikes with
    > out worrying. The schools are far better than our area, and ours has some of the
    > best in Dorset, and there are numerous after school activities which our niece and
    > nephew are involved. As well as this there is the local bay, Wellington Point,
    > which is a real family area with a big playground for the children, free barbecues
    > for all to use and a great café for Sunday morning breakfasts! The 'high street' at
    > Wellington point is a maze of restaurants from all over the world, with BYO so no
    > ridiculous alcohol prices to pay. The railway takes about 40 mins on new
    > air-conditioned trains, (which run on time), and free parking at the railway
    > station. We could go on and tell you more but it is probably boring telling you how
    > great it was. Needless to say this is the area we are planning to move to as soon
    > as the PR comes through. Paul, Annie & Jack
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:20 am
Hills

Johnny Boy wrote:

> Andrew, Being financially well off, does not mean that you're snobby. If you can
    > afford it, you buy property in an area that is appreciating in value. All I'm doing
    > is informing people on where to buy should they want to protect their hard earned
    > savings. IMHO, you're better off in the long term, spending $250,000 on a modest
    > home in say, Wellington Point, than the same amount on an executive-style mansion
    > in Forest Lake, John
    >

Ok, so we've got votes for the north-west (Samford) and the south-east, (Wellington
Point). May I suggest considering also the south-west.... but not Forest Lake!!!! The
older, more established riverside suburbs cover a range of needs. From St Lucia (very
old money, combined with lots of uni students), the 'queenslanders along the train
line' - Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood, Corinda, Oxley (don't go any further). The
Centenary suburbs- Mt Ommaney, Westlake, Middle Park for prestige, to Jindalee,
Jamboree Heights for bargains. Kenmore, Chapel Hill areas - for lots of UK/South
African migrants!! In towards the city - Indooroopilly, Taringa, Toowong for
Queenslander houses and cafe society and bigger price tags. All of these suburbs are
within 20mins or so (peak hour traffic dependant) of the city. Regards, LJ

Old Jul 17th 2002, 11:20 am
Johnny Boy

"Hills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Ok, so we've got votes for the north-west (Samford) and the south-east, (Wellington
    > Point). May I suggest considering also the south-west.... but not Forest Lake!!!!
    > The older, more established riverside suburbs cover a range of needs. From
St
    > Lucia (very old money, combined with lots of uni students), the
'queenslanders
    > along the train line' - Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood, Corinda, Oxley
(don't go
    > any further). The Centenary suburbs- Mt Ommaney, Westlake, Middle Park for
    > prestige, to Jindalee, Jamboree Heights for bargains. Kenmore, Chapel Hill areas -
    > for lots of UK/South African migrants!! In towards the city - Indooroopilly,
    > Taringa, Toowong for Queenslander
houses
    > and cafe society and bigger price tags. All of these suburbs are within 20mins or
    > so (peak hour traffic dependant)
of
    > the city. Regards, LJ

Sounds great - that's the beauty of Brissy - something for everyone! Cheers, John

Old Jul 17th 2002, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point

We paid Brisbane a brief two week visit in April and we loved the North 'burbs'. Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs, Bunya and surrounding areas were lovely with tall trees and abit more 'undulating' than Wellington point. Paddington was fab for inner ciy with lovely Queenslanders and cafe society but not alot of change from $350k.
The south side did'nt appeal to us but Annerly was nice and is rumoured to be on the up house price wise.
Chermside shopping centre ( north side)was huge with all the top names plus Freedom furniture which is fab. Ikea is in the south. Not that I like or have retail therapy on the brain!
Love Britbird.
Old Jul 17th 2002, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

fatboy is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is from Brisbane and we have been back a few times to see the In Laws............ fortunately they can not afford to make the trip themselves!!!!!! However it looks like we are treating them to a flight over to London and of course the return, next year.

Agree with everything thats been said about Brisbane except I just found it soooooo hot, but it seems very safe, quiet, the nightlife is OK, people are very friendly and the coast, particularly the Sunshine Coast, is wonderfull.

Dave
Old Jul 17th 2002, 10:20 pm
Robert Edwards

I can understand that people coming from the UK will find Brisbane too hot..but then
others find it great.......I live on the gold Coast just south of Brisbane and love
it (though I was born in Oz)...though I do like the northern subs of Albany Creek,
Bridgeman Downs, Bunya as Britbird does, its a lovely area. Rob

"fatboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Old Jul 18th 2002, 3:20 am
Andrew

Hi John,

You misunderstood me - I was not claiming anyone in this newsgroup was *snobby*.

Only that because of it's location, even some locals from brisbane (including some
lower income earners) would deliberately try to avoid the area. I'm not aware of the
crime rate being particularly high - although apparently they have caught a couple of
crims in Forest Lake who had escaped! Another close-by region is Springfield Lake
which together form an area amusingly called 'The Lakes District'.

AndyH.

P.S. I don't live in Forest Lake and would much rather live by the coast or in the
inner suburbs.

"Johnny Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Andrew, Being financially well off, does not mean that you're snobby. If you can
    > afford it, you buy property in an area that is appreciating in value. All I'm doing
    > is informing people on where to buy should they want to protect their hard earned
    > savings. IMHO, you're better off in the long term, spending $250,000 on a modest
    > home in say, Wellington Point, than the same amount on an executive-style mansion
    > in Forest Lake, John

Old Jul 18th 2002, 8:20 am
Johnny Boy

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi John,
    >
    > You misunderstood me - I was not claiming anyone in this newsgroup was *snobby*.

Sorry Andrew,

I should've put my brain in gear, before putting fingers to keyboard. Too many late
nights reading newsgroup posts!! :-P

Cheers, John

Old Jul 19th 2002, 11:20 am
Johnny Boy

"britbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > We paid Brisbane a brief two week visit in April and we loved the North
    > 'burbs'. Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs, Bunya and surrounding areas were lovely
    > with tall trees and abit more 'undulating' than Wellington point. Paddington
    > was fab for inner ciy with lovely Queenslanders and cafe society but not alot
    > of change from $350k.

Hi ya britbird,

Yes, the areas you mention are very nice, but one thing I should bring up here which
would be of particular interest to people worried about the heat here.

One of the main reasons we decided to settle near the seaside is to benefit from
those cooling sea breezes that are so welcome in the height of summer. Also in
general, even without the breeze, the climate near the coast seems a bit more
temperate than inland.

Inland areas, particularly with the undulating terrain that you mention, can be
subject to micro-climates of extremes - roasting in summer, frosts (yes we get them
in Brisbane) in winter.

We had 36 degrees on Christmas Day here on the bayside (and yes, my wife was slaving
over cooking a traditional roast turkey dinner - well, it was our first Christmas in
Oz) but out west the temps were well up into the forties!

Something to think about....

Kind regards, John