Hoping to move short-term to Sydney

Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

swuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move short-term to Sydney

Hi all,
I'd like to move to Sydney around January 2012 to work there for 1 year. I'm pretty sure I'd need an employer to sponsor me as I'd like to find an IT job in advance (from the UK).

I have a degree and a Masters from UK universities, 10 years IT work experience, and my job sector is in the wanted skills list. (I got 120 in the points test).

So ideally (I know it's going to be very hard!), work in Sydney for one year then return to the UK... then later on in life, I may look to return to Australia to settle down.

Is visa 175 best for me? I'd need a visa for the one year, but also something that wouldn't put me at a disadvantage if I return later. Also, how far in advance (of Jan 2012) do you think I should start to look for an employer to sponsor me?

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move short-term to Sydney

A 175 application is a lot of bother if you really only want to go for one year. Are you too old for a WHV, that would give you 12 months although you could only stay with one employer for 6 months at a time. Unless you impress them so much they sponsor you of course.

Finding an employer willing to sponsor you from overseas in the IT industry is going to be a huge challenge no matter when you start looking. Most employers don't even want to talk to people with PR visas already in place before they are in the country.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by swuk
Also, how far in advance (of Jan 2012) do you think I should start to look for an employer to sponsor me?
Why would an employer sponsor you for just a year? It wouldn't be worth their while... they could just employ someone locally. Plenty of experienced IT people driving Taxi's and Serving petrol.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
A 175 application is a lot of bother if you really only want to go for one year. Are you too old for a WHV, that would give you 12 months although you could only stay with one employer for 6 months at a time. Unless you impress them so much they sponsor you of course.
Yes unfortunately I'd be 33 so unable to apply for the WHV.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Finding an employer willing to sponsor you from overseas in the IT industry is going to be a huge challenge no matter when you start looking. Most employers don't even want to talk to people with PR visas already in place before they are in the country.
I know this is going to be a huge task, but I'm eager and determined, however, I'm sure that's what everyone says!

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Why would an employer sponsor you for just a year? It wouldn't be worth their while... they could just employ someone locally. Plenty of experienced IT people driving Taxi's and Serving petrol.
That's a good point. I'm not sure how to get around that other than not mentioning the one year to employers
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

To be honest it's gonna cost you $3k to get the visa, not to mention that there are plenty of people that would give their right arm to get a Permenent resident visa for life.... Wonder how they would feel if someone wanted to waste it on a working holiday.

Even if you got sponsored and didn't inform the employer you intended to stay for only a year..... Why would that employer sponsor anyone again?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:23 am
Just Joined

To be honest it's gonna cost you $3k to get the visa, not to mention that there are plenty of people that would give their right arm to get a Permenent resident visa for life.... Wonder how they would feel if someone wanted to waste it on a working holiday.
The $3k would be ok but now realise I could try to get a 457 temporary long visa instead, which is also a lot cheaper. I wouldn't say I'd be wasting the visa on a "working holiday", it's not going to be a holiday, I've never said it would be.

Even if you got sponsored and didn't inform the employer you intended to stay for only a year..... Why would that employer sponsor anyone again?
Because people move on for all different reasons and companies hire again. Presume a company hires a lazy employee and they stay with them for 4 years, I could bounce the question back to you, why would that employer sponsor anyone again given previous experience. But anyway, this is irrelevant to my original questions, just something for me to think about.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Because people move on for all different reasons and companies hire again. Presume a company hires a lazy employee and they stay with them for 4 years, I could bounce the question back to you, why would that employer sponsor anyone again given previous experience. But anyway, this is irrelevant to my original questions, just something for me to think about.
I think I have a pretty valid point, its hard enough to get sponsorship plenty of other genuine people would love the chance and would be prepared to do it right and proper.

Anyway although 457 is a bit cheaper and quicker its still relies on a willing sponsor... like Bermudashorts says its a pretty uphill battle especially if you are not actually in Australia. Employers are encouraged to try and find employees locally before they have to sponsor.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

I think I have a pretty valid point, its hard enough to get sponsorship plenty of other genuine people would love the chance and would be prepared to do it right and proper.

Anyway although 457 is a bit cheaper and quicker its still relies on a willing sponsor... like Bermudashorts says its a pretty uphill battle especially if you are not actually in Australia. Employers are encouraged to try and find employees locally before they have to sponsor.
Thanks for the reply. I've been speaking to a work colleague and their friend owns an IT company in NSW so I'll get in touch and hopefully get them to give me a shout when there's vacancies. IF (huge if) I was took on, I presume (and both parties agree), I could look around for another job (but in Sydney) whilst in Australia on a 457.

PS - If was it up to me then I'd stay there for a longer period or permanently, but at the current time the other half says no to that just yet, but things could change if we manage to get over there.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I've been speaking to a work colleague and their friend owns an IT company in NSW so I'll get in touch and hopefully get them to give me a shout when there's vacancies. IF (huge if) I was took on, I presume (and both parties agree), I could look around for another job (but in Sydney) whilst in Australia on a 457.

PS - If was it up to me then I'd stay there for a longer period or permanently, but at the current time the other half says no to that just yet, but things could change if we manage to get over there.
You can look for another job whilst on a 457 but you have to make another visa application and the new employer has to make the nomination. I would do a bit more research in to the 457 and the whole sponsoring aspect... there is a bit more to just form filling.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

You can look for another job whilst on a 457 but you have to make another visa application and the new employer has to make the nomination. I would do a bit more research in to the 457 and the whole sponsoring aspect... there is a bit more to just form filling.
OK thanks all for your comments