Holiday to Student Visa?

Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

taz-devil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday to Student Visa?

Afternoon all,

Does anyone know if it would be possible to enter Australia on a Holiday visa and then switch the holiday visa into a Student Visa (573)? I ask as my fiance and I are off in November to stay with her mum for a bit and she has now decided she would like to go back to Univrsity and do a degree in clinical psychology (She already has a law degree, if that makes any difference).

We would like to go over on a holiday visa and then once we have the uni course info sorted apply for a student visa. Does anyone know for sure if this would be possible?

Cheers,

Dave
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:47 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday to Student Visa?

Hi, assuming you are from the UK it is possible to make an application for a student visa while onshore, however apply well before the holiday visa is expiring and you cannot apply more than 93 days prior to the start of the course.

Quite a few people i know came to Australia to look at Unis and find a course before applying for the student visa - as you need a 'Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)' from the Uni before applying for the visa - and obviously people can't always choose a course from half a planet away!

Start here: http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/573-1/

Also read: http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...1/applying.htm

Good luck.

PS I hope you've got lots of cash! The degree is likely to be about $9000 - $12000 per semester = $54,000 - $72,000 for 3 years!!!! + living costs etc.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply and both links are very helpful!

We have looked at the cost and we think we can manage it as we will be staying with the mother in law for the duration of the course which will save us a lot of money. Anyway that is basically why we wanted to go over on a holiday visa so we can look into everything in more depth and see if it is the right way to go.

Again, thanks for the help!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Yes you can but you need to leave Australia and fly back in so to activate your student visa.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:23 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but this is not true - if you are Assessment Level 1 (which the Uk is) then you can remain onshore;

See http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1160i.pdf

Where it states 'if you are in Assessment Level 2, 3, 4 or 5, do not hold a
student visa and are applying in Australia, you must provide
exceptional reasons to justify the grant of your visa.'

And 'Electronic student visa
Some people outside Australia are eligible to apply via the
department’s website for an electronic student visa. Eligibility
is restricted to the following:
In Australia
– a student visa holder seeking permission to work; or
– a student seeking a further student visa; or
– Assessment Level 1 applicant seeking to apply for a
student visa (ie. you are in Australia on a visa other than a
student visa)

using
– form 157A (Internet) Application for an electronic student
(temporary) visa; or
– form 157P (Internet) Application for an student visa with
permission to work.'

I also know this because two of my Uni friends did it from an ETA.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Yes you can but you need to leave Australia and fly back in so to activate your student visa.
Yep definatly false info there.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information guys. Glad we don't have to faff around with leaving and coming back!