Is the HNC equivalent to a AQF Diploma?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

andymo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the HNC equivalent to a AQF Diploma?

I have my ONC / NVQ 3 & advanced modern apprentice in Electrical engineering BUT need to know what they all equate to and what my HNC be in comparison.

I would like to apply on a skilled visa as Electrical Engineer Associate rather than Technician.

Any help greatly accepted.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is the HNC equivalent to a AQF Diploma?

Hi andymo.

I have been informed that an HNC is equivalent to an AQF Diploma, certainly in my field of work, I presume that it is the same across the board.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:12 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xzibit
Hi andymo.

I have been informed that an HNC is equivalent to an AQF Diploma, certainly in my field of work, I presume that it is the same across the board.
What's your line of work if you don't mind me asking?

OH has an HNC, a BTEC National Diploma and a DipHE but I'm still not sure if he has enough!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I have a BTEC HNC in Building Studies. I'm an Architectural Technician.

Well, I've been told Vetassess see them as an AQF Diploma, I will find out soon enough lol.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by funkydelia
What's your line of work if you don't mind me asking?

OH has an HNC, a BTEC National Diploma and a DipHE but I'm still not sure if he has enough!
Hi,
I'm a electrical / mechanical engineer working for a heat treatment plant.
Andy
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:08 pm

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

We've applied for Craig's skills assessment with VETASSESS, is that the same as you?
Fingers crossed!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

We've applied for Craig's skills assessment with VETASSESS, is that the same as you?
Fingers crossed!
Hi Funkydelia,
I've not applied yet , Craig is way ahead of me. I'm still trying to get my head around what I need and best route to get me there.
Good luck with yours.
Andy
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Is an AQF certificate III higher than a AQF diploma?

I have an NC/HNC/HND electronics and dont know how they rate against theres.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:19 pm

Dont know if this helps but I found this on another thread

"Just posting some information on the recognition of UK quals as there is conflicting information on earlier posts as the situation has changed a couple of times over the last 2 years.

the first changes came around November 2005, the main changes were that BTEC National Certificates and NVQ III Certificates were then recognised as equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma. Unfortunately, these two main concessions were reversed in November 2006 and they are both now only equivalent to an Australian AQF Certificate IV. Also "downgraded" to AQF Cert IV level were:

ONC, TEC, BEC National Certificate
BTEC National Diploma
OND, TEC Diploma, BEC National Diploma

So the only UK "Certificate" that is still assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma is the HNC - which is actually assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Advanced Diploma.

Just because your highest qualification equates to an Australian AQF Certificate IV and not an AQF Diploma does not necessarily mean you can not get recognised by VETASSESS for 40 points. Your agent may be able to formulate a strategy around this as there is no legal requirement that you must have at least a Diploma equivalent qualification to migrate to Australia under the skilled migration program.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896 "
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paul76
Is an AQF certificate III higher than a AQF diploma?

I have an NC/HNC/HND electronics and dont know how they rate against theres.
Hi Paul,
From what I can gather the AQF certificates I-IV cover a variety of trades and industries . i.e an Electrical engineer technician needs to meet a AQF certificate IV but an electrical engineer associate (higher level) needs a AQF diploma.
So I guess the answer to your question is the Diploma & Advanced Diploma is higher.
Andy
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

"Just posting some information on the recognition of UK quals as there is conflicting information on earlier posts as the situation has changed a couple of times over the last 2 years.

the first changes came around November 2005, the main changes were that BTEC National Certificates and NVQ III Certificates were then recognised as equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma. Unfortunately, these two main concessions were reversed in November 2006 and they are both now only equivalent to an Australian AQF Certificate IV. Also "downgraded" to AQF Cert IV level were:

BTEC National Diploma

So the only UK "Certificate" that is still assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma is the HNC - which is actually assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Advanced Diploma.

Just because your highest qualification equates to an Australian AQF Certificate IV and not an AQF Diploma does not necessarily mean you can not get recognised by VETASSESS for 40 points. Your agent may be able to formulate a strategy around this as there is no legal requirement that you must have at least a Diploma equivalent qualification to migrate to Australia under the skilled migration program.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896 "
Thanks Funkydelia,
Looks like you've found the answer to my question.
Would rather NVQ3 been equivalent to a diploma but such is life, just need to keep up the studies.
Cheers
Andy
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

BTEC National Diploma

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896 "

Hi Tony,

Were is this thread? Where is this information from. I cannot find this on the Australia CEP site. Seeing this link as meme pointed out - which states BTEC ND is equivalent after checking CEP on 4th July 2006. Surely the Australia Training system/education could not have changed so quickly Again!!!

I am sending of ACS application with my ND Diploma and 12 years IT, Cisco and firewall certs - Looking at the ACS site they say 50% or more IT content. I believe the 50% is fine!??!?

Core modules:
IT Applications
IT Fundamentals
Business Systems
Installation and maintenance of IT systems

The ACS process is so FLUFFY. its sooooooooo anyoying!! will send of on Friday and see!