Hi! Again...

Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Adam19 will become famous soon enough
Default Hi! Again...

Hi folks!

I'm not sure if somebody remembers me posting a topic here previously regarding study as a mechanic in Queensland for 2 years, but to cut a long story short it turned out it was going to take forever to save the money for the course and me and my fiance were going to stay over here in the UK.

Well I've been looking further into it and I've found a Certificate III course in Automotive Mechanical Technology for $13,000 at the Great Barrier Reef Institute of TAFE in Townsville, and the course lasts a year. I've looked and the program description says :

"This program prepares participants for employment in the Automotive Industry by meeting the requirements of the ‘off the job’ training component of a Mechanical (Heavy Vehicle) apprenticeship."

and

"Successful graduates will gain a Certificate III in Automotive (Mechanical Heavy Vehicle) qualification, not apprenticeship trade papers".

Do you think that the course would be enough to qualify me as a Motor Mechanic? I'm only looking into it so much because its quite a lot of money for me (as a 19 year old) and I want to sit a course that will allow me to be eligible for permanent residence in Oz. So, whadya think? The Business Officer at the TAFE says that because I wouldnt need to be released for block release studies by an employer, I would be a very 'employable' option and that unemployment rates were low in Townsville, although he did state that he couldnt talk too much about visa's and job prospects.

Just want to know people's opinions!

Cheers,

Adam
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hi! Again...

Originally Posted by Adam19
Hi folks!

I'm not sure if somebody remembers me posting a topic here previously regarding study as a mechanic in Queensland for 2 years, but to cut a long story short it turned out it was going to take forever to save the money for the course and me and my fiance were going to stay over here in the UK.

Well I've been looking further into it and I've found a Certificate III course in Automotive Mechanical Technology for $13,000 at the Great Barrier Reef Institute of TAFE in Townsville, and the course lasts a year. I've looked and the program description says :

"This program prepares participants for employment in the Automotive Industry by meeting the requirements of the ‘off the job’ training component of a Mechanical (Heavy Vehicle) apprenticeship."

and

"Successful graduates will gain a Certificate III in Automotive (Mechanical Heavy Vehicle) qualification, not apprenticeship trade papers".

Do you think that the course would be enough to qualify me as a Motor Mechanic? I'm only looking into it so much because its quite a lot of money for me (as a 19 year old) and I want to sit a course that will allow me to be eligible for permanent residence in Oz. So, whadya think? The Business Officer at the TAFE says that because I wouldnt need to be released for block release studies by an employer, I would be a very 'employable' option and that unemployment rates were low in Townsville, although he did state that he couldnt talk too much about visa's and job prospects.

Cheers,

Adam
BUMP
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!

and

Cheers,

Adam
I will highlight a couple of possible problems with what you propose - the AQF Cert III will not get you through the TRA on its own - you also need 900 hours practical experience acceptable to TRA. If you get over that hurdle you then have the problem of requiring 12 months recent (in the previous 24 months) skilled experience. The 12 months experience waiver only exists where you complete a 2 year course.

Scenario:

You do the 12 month AQF Cert III and gain 900 hours experience via your 20 hours per week work experience. You get your TRA approved and return to UK to gain 12 month experience - may work as long as DIAC agree that your 12 months was at the trade level.

It may be possible to get a 457 sponsor at the end of yoru 12 months course and you can then gain required experience in Australia - your problem is that these variables are hard to tie down so the risk of the wheels coming off sometime over the next 2 years are high. Even doing the more expensive 2 year course has a high risk in that the TRA could easily block the AQF Cert III plus 900 avenue at any time.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:34 am
Reg Migration Agent

chelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nice

Assuming TRA do not remove the AQF and 900 hours experience route, within 6 months of completing your two year course you could look at applying via the Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa. This will give you 18 months in which to gain the 12 months expereince at skilled level that you will require to then apply for PR.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. I am fully aware that the situation good go bad at any time, but its a risk im willing to take. The scenario you listed above (going back to the uk) would probably be the worst that could happen, and being sponsored obviously being the best. I'm going to send off my application for the course tomorrow so we'l see if I get accepted.

If you dont mind me asking tony, how do you know that stuff regarding the TRA; are you applying yourself?

Cheers

Adam
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:54 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. I am fully aware that the situation good go bad at any time, but its a risk im willing to take. The scenario you listed above (going back to the uk) would probably be the worst that could happen, and being sponsored obviously being the best. I'm going to send off my application for the course tomorrow so we'l see if I get accepted.

If you dont mind me asking tony, how do you know that stuff regarding the TRA; are you applying yourself?

Cheers

Adam
Hi Adam,

I'm not sure that the Certificate III you mention would entitle you to a positive TRA assessment, and on both that and the employment angle I think you ought to visit www.autopersonnel.com.au to see if they can confirm anything for you.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Its all a bit confusing!

According to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website, if you go to the Students section > More Information for Students > Extending Your Stay > Permanent Residence - See 'Workers' > Professionals and Other Skilled Migrants > How to Have Your Skills Recognised in Australia > 'Motor Mechanic'
and according to http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...ic-4211-11.htm

and according to that page for the Skill Level Required :

This occupation requires you to have completed formal qualifications achieved through study, training or work experience and is referred to as the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). You need to have attained AQF certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required. For further information on the Australian Qualifications Framework see the AQF website.
See: www.aqf.edu.au/
Note: The AQF does not provide information or advice on skills assessment. For information on skills assessment, see the relevant skills assessing authority below.
It actually goes on to say

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority.

There is a different assessing authority depending on your country of residence.

If your country of residence is one of the following:

* India
* South Africa
* Sri Lanka
* the Philippines
* the United Kingdom

the assessment authority for your occupation is:
Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS)
So it isnt even assessed by the TRA?

I definetly need to lay off the coffee...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

P.S George - I emailed Adrian Carlson at Autopersonnel and he sent an email back saying he didnt know much about Student Visa's and to contact you!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:25 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Beware Adam youve been given good advice here. The quick click site visit is easy but only leads to the wealth of others. Ask questions but search out your answers. Money will always be the prob mate so maybe expect to take the longer route. 900 hrs is experience all trainees require. Youve had good advice from an agent on here. All the best in your pursuit of the Oz life-Nice to see someone trying