Wikiposts

HELP!!! What should I study for PR?

Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!! What should I study for PR?

Originally Posted by lee28
I cannot seem to find these courses for trades, any idea where they are?

Thanks, Lee.

Start here: http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/default.asp

another option is to speak with centrelink in your area.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Michang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Just remember that if criteria changes along the way, you could be stuffed!

I have come to Australia and studied in an attempt to gain PR. I picked Hairdressing for MODL and duration of course (16 months - 2 academic years) and currently have an application in for PR.

It was close tho, and if my application went in 10 days later I would've been forced to work in my field for 12 months! ...

All a gamble, but isn't life!
Why would you be forced to have worked for 12 months? I am curious about this as we are going to do the same next year. Is there a new rule stating that you need to have worked for 12 months before being able to have an assessment done or something? I know the assessment authorities require you to have 900 hours of relevant work experience on top of the qualification, but that is not a new rule.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

The point system changed in September. You do have to do the 900 hours, but if you are short of points then you can get more by having worked for one year.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Yeah we all came on a Student Visa, couse cost $17k altho I think it's just under the $20k now.

2 years of study and a Cert III or higher!
Sorry for being really thick, does that mean the qualification you get is a a cert III? Do you need any formal qualifications to enroll on a course? Is it likely that you will get a PR visa if you apply? sorry once again.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Yeah we all came on a Student Visa, couse cost $17k altho I think it's just under the $20k now.

2 years of study and a Cert III or higher!
Me again, just read some of the other threads and have read that to do a trade it is 4 years study, i thiught hairdressing was a trade, or are the rules different for hairdressers. Keep me posted on your PR application. Just a couple more questions, how long does a student visa last for? and are you allowed to apply for PR from inside oz or do you have to go bact to the uk to do this? Thanks, Lisa.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Most trades courses are 4 years long - that's if you study in Australia.

If you study in the UK then you will also need at least 4 years on the job as well as the 2 years study.
Hiya Wendy, do you know how long an apprenticeship is studied, is it the same as the UK? i read somewhere that they can be completed quicker than this or is this from someone with the wrong information?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:36 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michang
Why would you be forced to have worked for 12 months? I am curious about this as we are going to do the same next year. Is there a new rule stating that you need to have worked for 12 months before being able to have an assessment done or something? I know the assessment authorities require you to have 900 hours of relevant work experience on top of the qualification, but that is not a new rule.
900 hours is for the TRA, but my school covers that in it's course. The years work exp is as of Sept 1 and a requirement by DIAC

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Sorry for being really thick, does that mean the qualification you get is a a cert III? Do you need any formal qualifications to enroll on a course? Is it likely that you will get a PR visa if you apply? sorry once again.
A min of a Cert III is required to apply for PR, along with a min 2 years of study. This is 2 'academic' years which is 4 semesters ... 16 months

I have satisfied all criteria to gain PR, but won't know for sure until Jan / Feb 2008 as it will take the full 6 months to process, they are VERY busy along with the TRA who should've assessed me within 10 days or so, it's been over a month! ...

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Me again, just read some of the other threads and have read that to do a trade it is 4 years study, i thiught hairdressing was a trade, or are the rules different for hairdressers. Keep me posted on your PR application. Just a couple more questions, how long does a student visa last for? and are you allowed to apply for PR from inside oz or do you have to go bact to the uk to do this? Thanks, Lisa.
An Apprenticeship can be 4 years of study, but you DON'T have to do an Apprenticeship to apply for PR, as I say a Cert III will suffice

AS WE SPEAK!!!!

Remember ... one change during studies that you cannot meet and you have as long as your visa last for, which is generally 2 months after your course ends!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

You do not need 2 years of study to apply for PR. For 2 yrs of study while in Australia you can gain extra points but it is not prerequisite to gain PR status.
You need an appropriate trade certificate and 900 hours of relevant work experience (which does not need to be gained after receiving the trade certificate). With the above you can get an assessment done. With a positive assessment you need to pass the points test in which the main points come from a nominated occupation (Hairdresser is on the MODL and worth 60 points), english test (up to 25 points) and age.
I have not read anywhere you need 1 or 2 years of experience besides the 900 hours.
Please let me know if I am wrong here.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:22 am
Account Closed

You do not need 2 years of study to apply for PR. For 2 yrs of study while in Australia you can gain extra points but it is not prerequisite to gain PR status.
So if you're in the UK and want to come to Oz, study and in turn gain PR. Please tell me how you get PR as I've obv missed something here and just wasted 18 months doing a hairdressing course for nothing! ...

Unless you're talking about 'other' visa's ... which if you look up at the title is actually ....

Oh it'll drop ...
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Let me start from scratch.
Get student visa to study for hairdresser in Australia. If you only do Cert 3 the course will not be meeting the 2 yr study rule as it normally only takes 1 yr. Do the course, get the certificate and get 900 hrs of work experience in. I guess this part is tricky if your student visa is not long enough to have the time to do the 900 hours, but if you do the Brishair course the 900 hours is included in one of the courses. In other cases it would be best to opt for a 2 yr program as than you comply with the 2 yr study rule and youcan apply for a graduate visa to remain in Oz for another 18 months upon graduation. This way you can get the 900 hours in too. Alternatively you may be able to remain in Australia on your partners study visa or other visa. I will be studying for a Masters degree in Australia which takes 2 years, my wife will do Cert 3 in hairdressing, get the 900 hrs asap and whoever gets the assessments and points in first applies for PR status. So for us it is again another situation. We also need less points as we have family in Australia.

Purely related to the rules you only need the Certificate and 900 hours of relevant experience to get an assessment done. Only with a positive assessment you apply for PR (if you pass the points test).
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

I missed something, if you want to apply for a PR visa while in Australia you need to have studied for 2 years. according to the Immi.gov.au rules. If you want it in less time you will need to study in Australia get the certificate, leave Australia and apply for a PR from outside Australia.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Let me start from scratch.
Get student visa to study for hairdresser in Australia. If you only do Cert 3 the course will not be meeting the 2 yr study rule as it normally only takes 1 yr. Do the course, get the certificate and get 900 hrs of work experience in. I guess this part is tricky if your student visa is not long enough to have the time to do the 900 hours, but if you do the Brishair course the 900 hours is included in one of the courses. In other cases it would be best to opt for a 2 yr program as than you comply with the 2 yr study rule and youcan apply for a graduate visa to remain in Oz for another 18 months upon graduation. This way you can get the 900 hours in too. Alternatively you may be able to remain in Australia on your partners study visa or other visa. I will be studying for a Masters degree in Australia which takes 2 years, my wife will do Cert 3 in hairdressing, get the 900 hrs asap and whoever gets the assessments and points in first applies for PR status. So for us it is again another situation. We also need less points as we have family in Australia.

Purely related to the rules you only need the Certificate and 900 hours of relevant experience to get an assessment done. Only with a positive assessment you apply for PR (if you pass the points test).

As always there is many ways to skin a cat!

I did the course at Brishair. The Cert III can be done over a year, but no good if you want to apply for PR as DIAC want the 2 'academic' years of study (as it was for me) but now want 12 months work exp as well.

The 900 hours is only relevant to the TRA. My application is in and pending, I submitted 1150 hours!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

The Immi.gov.au pages do not mention you need the 1yr work experience, you just need to pass the points test and have 2 yrs of study under your belt in Australia (if you apply from within Australia). May be you need the 1yr work experience to gain the extra points to pass the points test, is that the case?
If you succesfully did the 2yrs study in Australia you can get the graduate visa (class 485) and stay in Oz for another 18 months to get extra experience and still apply for a PR visa after that.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:56 am
Account Closed

I missed something, if you want to apply for a PR visa while in Australia you need to have studied for 2 years. according to the Immi.gov.au rules. If you want it in less time you will need to study in Australia get the certificate, leave Australia and apply for a PR from outside Australia.
Hey mate for fear of sounding like JAJ (and ONLY goin for the gag here ok!! ... NOTHING malicious!!) ...

This is far too a complex question for any online forum, and I advice you seek professional help from a good migration agent!

(or to that effect ... )

I have to go, but ...

I missed something, if you want to apply for a PR visa while in Australia you need to have studied for 2 years.
No def not, but if you come to Australia to study, and have a view of applying for PR after studies! ... then yes you WILL need at least 2 years of study!

according to the Immi.gov.au rules. If you want it in less time you will need to study in Australia get the certificate, leave Australia and apply for a PR from outside Australia.
Hey not sure what you're referring to here, but by all means post a link to where you're reading this and I or someone else (hittin the hay) will have a butchers!

Good luck to you whatever! ...
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:59 am
Account Closed

If you succesfully did the 2yrs study in Australia you can get the graduate visa (class 485) and stay in Oz for another 18 months to get extra experience and still apply for a PR visa after that.
This will clarify it all ...

I am a pre Sept 1st application.

Old school rules ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.