Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

HELP! teaching employment reference insufficient

HELP! teaching employment reference insufficient

Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

bostik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP! teaching employment reference insufficient

I need help. Have just had letter from my case officer. she says my most recent employment reference is insufficient. I followed the guidance to the letter but she has sent me the same guidance again. I am a teacher and my head of department provided me with a letter on official paper etc setting out what I teach, hours, salary etc. What else do they need a teacher's duties are pretty specific and self explanatory aren't they. How can you get more specific teaching experience than teaching. What other proof can I provide? Would my teaching timetable for the year be any use? I am really in a panic. Are there any teachers out there who have applied who can help me. I can e-mail them a copy of the original reference I sent so that they could advise me on where I have gone wrong. Please, please someone reply. We applied last December and this is our first contact so we have been going nuts waiting anyway - I sound like a blithering idiot sorry!!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HELP! teaching employment reference insufficient

Originally Posted by bostik
I need help. Have just had letter from my case officer. she says my most recent employment reference is insufficient. I followed the guidance to the letter but she has sent me the same guidance again. I am a teacher and my head of department provided me with a letter on official paper etc setting out what I teach, hours, salary etc. What else do they need a teacher's duties are pretty specific and self explanatory aren't they. How can you get more specific teaching experience than teaching. What other proof can I provide? Would my teaching timetable for the year be any use? I am really in a panic. Are there any teachers out there who have applied who can help me. I can e-mail them a copy of the original reference I sent so that they could advise me on where I have gone wrong. Please, please someone reply. We applied last December and this is our first contact so we have been going nuts waiting anyway - I sound like a blithering idiot sorry!!
hi even tho im not a teacher when you say its self explanatory well it might be to you but to them maybe not lol.
In your reference did you put what age group you teach what subjects but also go into details of how you teach this subject like what equipment you would use and how would you implement these.

this is just an idea as i dont really teach im a teaching assistant and if i was to do a reference i would deffo include the above just to proove that i knew what i was talking about

hope this is some help and good luck

Debs xxx
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Hi that sounds a bit wierd. You must be feeling really worried. I'm a teacher too but as yet i have no case officer. I'm not sure if this is stating the obvious but I included a letter from GTC stating how long I had been teaching, and proof that I was registered with them. Have you tried downloading the Queensland (or wherever) registration form from their site & seeing what info they require? What exactly did your reply letter state? Maybe if you detail exactly what you do, ie planning all curriculum subjects, marking all pupils work, holding regulare parents meetings, etc & ask your head & deputy to sign to say it's legit. This is only a suggestion, I have not encountered this problem so I can't wave a magic wand but please feel free to PM I'd be happy to give you all the help I can, if I can. Good Luck
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Vic

Did you send all the information you gave to NOOSR?

send me a private message and I will list everything i sent to NOOSR plus other information.

Gaz
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gazzer
Vic

send me a private message and I will list everything i sent to NOOSR plus other information.

Gaz
HI I have sent you a private message I think!! - I'm new to this so let me know if I failed the task. Oh and yes I did send everything on from NOOSR to DIMIA,
thanks, Rachel
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Hi, hope this helps !

Depending on which age group you teach - (I am junior) I had my head teacher write my refernece. She recorded the lengths of time that I had been a full time, part time and supply teacher for the school. She also wrote what my curriculum responsibilities have been, what after school activities I have been involved in. She also wrote a wrote a brief paragraph on my approach to teaching and my developmental training done within school.
She also included information about how I liase with staff in the school now that I work on a supply basis, also making positive comments about the quality of my teaching, marking and feedback to teachers I cover for.
She also included this statement ' Should you require any further information pleases don't hesitate to contact me' If you have a good relationship with your head/ head of year write some of the infromation for them to include. I was very fortunate to have a very good working relationship with my head and she was more than happy to use the information I had provided her.
I also sent in a record of all the courses and INSET that I have attended during my teaching career, any information is helpful.
I hope this info is helpful .
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gazzer
Vic

Gaz
Hi Gaz, I have sent you a pm.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=chr1sarter]
Many thanks chr1sarter, I am a secondary teacher. I spoke with the head's secretary today and she is going to put something together based on the guidance sheet sent by DIMIA and I will get my Head of Department to do a new reference. What alot of fuss. We are hoping to head for Perth in 2005 if all goes well if the sress doesn't get me first!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

mfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: HELP! teaching employment reference insufficient

[QUOTE=bostik]
Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Many thanks chr1sarter, I am a secondary teacher. I spoke with the head's secretary today and she is going to put something together based on the guidance sheet sent by DIMIA and I will get my Head of Department to do a new reference. What alot of fuss. We are hoping to head for Perth in 2005 if all goes well if the sress doesn't get me first!
please guys keep us informed with the developments
hope it work for you
Old Nov 6th 2004, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=bostik]
Good luck with the new references. Where in perth are you heading. Hope to be in Perth, around Joondalup area mid next year.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Good luck with the new references. Where in perth are you heading. Hope to be in Perth, around Joondalup area mid next year.
we have bought a piece of land in Mount Pleasant which is south of the river and close to the city. Liked the school there as I have 2 teenage girls so this was a big factor. Husband also has sister living 10 minutes away. Had a very pleasant lunch at the Joondalup resort in August - it looks like a lovely area. Alot of Brits head that way. Any reasons for choosing there? Rachel
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

we have bought a piece of land in Mount Pleasant which is south of the river and close to the city. Liked the school there as I have 2 teenage girls so this was a big factor. Husband also has sister living 10 minutes away. Had a very pleasant lunch at the Joondalup resort in August - it looks like a lovely area. Alot of Brits head that way. Any reasons for choosing there? Rachel
Mount Pleasant sounds great. Joondalup is where all my family live now. I have 2 brothers who moved to aus 15 years ago, and my parents just moved there last year.
Let us know how you get on with DIMIA and the new reference.

Best of luck