Help - no visa options :(

Old Oct 30th 2019, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

grad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - no visa options :(

Hello,

This is my first time on this forum! I'm looking for some advice - although I fear that I may be in a bit of a rut.

I have recently graduated with a first class honours degree from a Russell Group university in the UK. I was hoping to go and study for a Masters in Australia, but found out this morning that I did not get the scholarship I applied for (although am in the first reserve position) - I am unable to afford the $35,000 tuition fees without this scholarship so am most likely going to have to turn the offer down. I have been in tears all morning at this, as I was really relying on this to be able to follow my dreams.

Whilst I am in a graduate job in the UK, I am not particularly enjoying it and have come to the conclusion that what I really want is to be with my boyfriend in Australia. We have been together for 2 and a half years, as he was living in the UK on a WHV, but had to go back recently as it expired. We didn't live together whilst he was in the UK, so I don't think getting a partner visa is an option right now.

I feel that my only option is to go over there on a working holiday visa, live with my boyfriend for 2 years, and then apply for the partner visa. However, as I am very academic and career focused, I am struggling to accept the idea of leaving behind a full time job related to my degree to go and work casually, but I do not meet the points requirement for a work visa (the only way I could is by waiting 3 years until I turn 25).

Does anyone have any advice, ideas or inspiration that might be able to help me?

Thanks,
E x
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - no visa options :(

Just get your boyfriend to register your relationship in the state in which he resides in Oz. It’ll waive the two year cohabitation requirement. You’ll then be free to work or study as you see fit.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just get your boyfriend to register your relationship in the state in which he resides in Oz. It’ll waive the two year cohabitation requirement. You’ll then be free to work or study as you see fit.
I have the feeling you've just made the OP's day/week/year/life
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Hey, thanks so much for your reply! Just to check - does this mean registering as a civil partnership? This seems a big step as a 22 year old!

If we were to do this, would I then need to apply for a partner visa?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2019, 6:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grad123
Hey, thanks so much for your reply! Just to check - does this mean registering as a civil partnership? This seems a big step as a 22 year old!

If we were to do this, would I then need to apply for a partner visa?

Thanks!
It’s having your de facto relationship legally recognised without getting married. It’s not equivalent to getting married like a civil partnership would be but it does allow your relationship to be treated like a marriage for Australian immigration purposes.

You would still need to go through the normal partner visa process.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

It’s having your de facto relationship legally recognised without getting married. It’s not equivalent to getting married like a civil partnership would be but it does allow your relationship to be treated like a marriage for Australian immigration purposes.

You would still need to go through the normal partner visa process.

How does this process work? While the OP had a relationship for 2.5 years in the UK, they never lived with their boyfriend so how does it qualify to be 'treated like a marriage' for Australian immigration purposes?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Oct 30th 2019 at 7:45 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
How does this process work? While the OP had a relationship for 2.5 years in the UK, they never lived with their boyfriend so how does it qualify to be 'treated like a marriage' for Australian immigration purposes?
Because a registered relationship certificate is treated the same as a marriage certificate. Registration requirements vary between the states/territories but broadly speaking it’s just a matter of presenting some ID and signing a form.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Because a registered relationship certificate is treated the same as a marriage certificate. Registration requirements vary between the states/territories but broadly speaking it’s just a matter of presenting some ID and signing a form.
Thanks for your help! It's something I'll definitely consider, but I think the scariness of entering into a legal partnership in our early 20s, the $7,000 application fee and long waiting times might be a bit of a barrier in our situation right now.

I would hope that I can go over and work/study for a year or two to get the chance to decide if I definitely want to try and get permanent residency with my boyfriend - I think in that situation we'd then decide to register our relationship and apply for a partner visa, but hopefully I can get something a bit more short-term in the meantime (I'm now looking at applying for funded PhDs for example)