Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help needed - What class and how to estimate points?

Help needed - What class and how to estimate points?

Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Help needed - What class and how to estimate points?

Hi

I need some help trying to estimate how many points my potential application would earn.

There are that many different classes to choose from I am unsure which would be the most fitting, and I am also unsure if both the applicants and spouse's job related points are added together in this calculation.

Our circumstances are:

Her indoors is 40, her job is worth 60 points in the SOL, she has 8 years work experience in this job, no post secondary Education and a first Cousin living in Sydney (for last 5 years)

I am 37, my job is worth 50 points on the SOL, I have 4 years work experience in this role, I have a non job related Degree and no relatives in Oz.

We have no jobs lined up, although my company does have a presence in Oz and I am fairly sure that I could transfer over to them.

Any advice would be welcome other than try looking on the Australian Govt. site.........
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed - What class and how to estimate points?

Originally Posted by Wearsider
Hi

I need some help trying to estimate how many points my potential application would earn.

There are that many different classes to choose from I am unsure which would be the most fitting, and I am also unsure if both the applicants and spouse's job related points are added together in this calculation.

Our circumstances are:

Her indoors is 40, her job is worth 60 points in the SOL, she has 8 years work experience in this job, no post secondary Education and a first Cousin living in Sydney (for last 5 years)

I am 37, my job is worth 50 points on the SOL, I have 4 years work experience in this role, I have a non job related Degree and no relatives in Oz.

We have no jobs lined up, although my company does have a presence in Oz and I am fairly sure that I could transfer over to them.

Any advice would be welcome other than try looking on the Australian Govt. site.........

If you want to do your application on your own (as opposed to hiring an agent), there's no alternative to using the DIMA website, sorry.

An online forum cannot give personalised consultancy.

However:

- they don't add up points for spouses. They take whichever spouse has the higher points. You can add 5 points if spouse meets the basic requirements as well.
- if you don't meet the basic requirements for a visa you will be refused before they even look at points
- a first cousin in Sydney can't sponsor
- state nominated STNI and Skill Matching visas have no points test, only basic requirements.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:43 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

Weren't you emigrating to Canada Wearsider? Get fed up with the wait?!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by H143
Weren't you emigrating to Canada Wearsider? Get fed up with the wait?!
I still am, I just fancied the possibility of topping up my tan for a couple of years whilst waiting.

Thanks for the reply
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you want to do your application on your own (as opposed to hiring an agent), there's no alternative to using the DIMA website, sorry.

An online forum cannot give personalised consultancy.

However:

- they don't add up points for spouses. They take whichever spouse has the higher points. You can add 5 points if spouse meets the basic requirements as well.
- if you don't meet the basic requirements for a visa you will be refused before they even look at points
- a first cousin in Sydney can't sponsor
- state nominated STNI and Skill Matching visas have no points test, only basic requirements.

I am well aware that an online forum cannot give personalised consultancy, but all I needed was general information from knowledgeable individuals.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:08 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
Hi

Our circumstances are:

There's lots of free tools on line which can quickly give you your points if you go for the skilled independant option rather than wading through the DIMIA website.

Try here http://www.acacia-au.com/skilled-mig...oints-test.php for a quick example.

Graham