British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Help needed re- Visa's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-needed-re-visas-609927/)

julie hilton May 19th 2009 1:48 am

Help needed re- Visa's

Hi Guys

I spoke to my uncle last night who lives in London. Hes had enough. They are both 52. But my auntie's father was Australian.

Do they have a change of getting out here? They also have a son who is about 23 and he wants to come to.

If there is a chance, what do they need to do?

Your help would be much appricated :D:D

Thanks
Julie

George Lombard May 19th 2009 2:02 am

Re: Help needed re- Visa's

Originally Posted by julie hilton (Post 7583621)
Hi Guys

I spoke to my uncle last night who lives in London. Hes had enough. They are both 52. But my auntie's father was Australian.

Do they have a change of getting out here? They also have a son who is about 23 and he wants to come to.

If there is a chance, what do they need to do?

Your help would be much appricated :D:D

Thanks
Julie

Hi Julie,

It's possible that your auntie can claim to be a citizen by descent but I would recommend that they find a reliable agent to work through whether that's correct, and if so what that means for the whole family.

Cheers,

George Lombard

julie hilton May 19th 2009 2:09 am

Originally Posted by George Lombard (Post 7583656)
Hi Julie,

It's possible that your auntie can claim to be a citizen by descent but I would recommend that they find a reliable agent to work through whether that's correct, and if so what that means for the whole family.

Cheers,

George Lombard

So does she need to provide his birth cert? Are they able to then contact the Australian Immigiation in London. As for my cousin, his grandfather being Australian should give him the right?

I know there have been a few people I have met, saying they got there british passports cos there mother or father came from the UK.

Many thanks
Julie

Dorothy May 19th 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by julie hilton (Post 7583666)
So does she need to provide his birth cert? Are they able to then contact the Australian Immigiation in London. As for my cousin, his grandfather being Australian should give him the right?

I know there have been a few people I have met, saying they got there british passports cos there mother or father came from the UK.

Many thanks
Julie

They need to find a MARA registered migration agent who is experienced with citizenship by descent applications.

JAJ May 19th 2009 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7584495)
They need to find a MARA registered migration agent who is experienced with citizenship by descent applications.

Not many of those in existence! Most agents rarely, if ever, see a citizenship case.

Anyway, it will all depend on the answers to the following questions:

- how and when did her father get Australian citizenship?
- if her father lived in another country, did he also get citizenship of that country, if so, how and when?

That will do for starters.

Dorothy May 20th 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7586787)
Not many of those in existence! Most agents rarely, if ever, see a citizenship case.

Anyway, it will all depend on the answers to the following questions:

- how and when did her father get Australian citizenship?
- if her father lived in another country, did he also get citizenship of that country, if so, how and when?

That will do for starters.

Only reiterating what George said. He did explain to me that not many agents are experienced with citizenship issues.

julie hilton May 20th 2009 11:09 pm

I found a great website for them from the Australian immigration department.

I had a good read and its seems pretty straight forward. We done our own visas to get here, so hopefully they shouldn't have to much trouble.

Many thanks for all your help.:thumbup:

julie hilton May 21st 2009 12:38 am

There was one other question.

My stepdaughter lives in the UK with her mother. She is only 15 at the moment, but if she decides in a few years, that she would want to live with us, can she claim citizenship by descent. As her father will be a citizen by then.

We will be citizens next year. Does that mean eventhough we are PR and would and lived here 4 years, do need to have lived two years as Australian citizens? A total of 6 years?

CrystalBall May 21st 2009 12:41 am

once you are a citizen, it cant be revoked (unless obtained fraudulently).

You can only claim Citizenship by Descent if your parents were citizens at the time of your birth.

cheers

julie hilton May 21st 2009 12:49 am

Originally Posted by CrystalBall (Post 7590557)
once you are a citizen, it cant be revoked (unless obtained fraudulently).

You can only claim Citizenship by Descent if your parents were citizens at the time of your birth.

cheers

Oh I see. Must have missed that one.

Many thanks
Julie

JAJ May 21st 2009 1:16 am

Originally Posted by julie hilton (Post 7590382)
I found a great website for them from the Australian immigration department.

I had a good read and its seems pretty straight forward.

It may seem straightforward, but without knowing the answers to the questions in post #5, it's impossible to speculate.

JAJ May 21st 2009 1:17 am

Originally Posted by julie hilton (Post 7590551)
There was one other question.

My stepdaughter lives in the UK with her mother. She is only 15 at the moment, but if she decides in a few years, that she would want to live with us, can she claim citizenship by descent. As her father will be a citizen by then.

We will be citizens next year. Does that mean eventhough we are PR and would and lived here 4 years, do need to have lived two years as Australian citizens? A total of 6 years?

No, she can't claim Australian citizenship.

If she wants to migrate to Australia, then presuming she was declared on your original application and did medicals etc. at the time, then you can sponsor her for a child visa while she is under 18.

julie hilton May 21st 2009 1:22 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7590633)
No, she can't claim Australian citizenship.

If she wants to migrate to Australia, then presuming she was declared on your original application and did medicals etc. at the time, then you can sponsor her for a child visa while she is under 18.

Yes she was declared on our orginal application, so hopefully she will decide before she reaches 18.

Thanks
Julie