help my daughter has a boyfriend!!

Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road
Default help my daughter has a boyfriend!!

we applied for our visa a life time ago aleast that is how it feels, during which time my 18 year old son met a girl who is now his fiancee. (she's at uni for another 2 years so they are following us out when she has finished)

We all have our visa's and they were validated last year.

My daughter has now met a guy and has fallen hook line and sinker for him and guess what, yep he also want's to emigrate, he was actually out in oz last year as his mum's sister and brother live out there, and he loved it. The problem is he is only 17, he will be 18 in may what is the best route for him to go down, He would like to do college out there but not sure he could afford it. we are moving out there end Jan. Hopefully with my daughter!!

Why does life have to be sooooooooooo complicated.

Please help.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 10:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help my daughter has a boyfriend!!

You (or your daughter's fiance ... ) should probably talk to a migration agent about his visa options.

Australian permanent residents can sponsor for spouse and fiance visas, but do need to be 'usually resident' in Australia.

If they cohabit for 12 months, she could sponsor him as a de-facto spouse.

If he wants to come to Australia other than on a spouse visa (to check things out), then options are really a working holiday visa (WHV) or a student visa. It would be possible to switch to a spouse visa onshore provided the one applied while still lawful, ie not letting visa expire. And when using the WHV, the intention at time of arrival should just be a holiday in Australia - nothing more.

There are nationality requirements for the WHV - if he's a British citizen he should be ok.

Jeremy

Originally posted by cazz
we applied for our visa a life time ago aleast that is how it feels, during which time my 18 year old son met a girl who is now his fiancee. (she's at uni for another 2 years so they are following us out when she has finished)

We all have our visa's and they were validated last year.

My daughter has now met a guy and has fallen hook line and sinker for him and guess what, yep he also want's to emigrate, he was actually out in oz last year as his mum's sister and brother live out there, and he loved it. The problem is he is only 17, he will be 18 in may what is the best route for him to go down, He would like to do college out there but not sure he could afford it. we are moving out there end Jan. Hopefully with my daughter!!

Why does life have to be sooooooooooo complicated.

Please help.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: help my daughter has a boyfriend!!

Originally posted by JAJ
You (or your daughter's fiance ... ) should probably talk to a migration agent about his visa options.

Australian permanent residents can sponsor for spouse and fiance visas, but do need to be 'usually resident' in Australia.

If they cohabit for 12 months, she could sponsor him as a de-facto spouse.

If he wants to come to Australia other than on a spouse visa (to check things out), then options are really a working holiday visa (WHV) or a student visa. It would be possible to switch to a spouse visa onshore provided the one applied while still lawful, ie not letting visa expire. And when using the WHV, the intention at time of arrival should just be a holiday in Australia - nothing more.

There are nationality requirements for the WHV - if he's a British citizen he should be ok.

Jeremy
Thanks jeremy that helps, how long before the WHV visa runs out would he need to apply for spouse visa.

cazz