Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help with info please, daughter has nowhere to go.

Help with info please, daughter has nowhere to go.

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 9:20 am
Tanya

Default Help with info please, daughter has nowhere to go.

I have recently married an Australian and live with him in Australia. I am only
entitled to an Australian permanent resident visa in March 2003. I am a
Ukrainian national.

My daughter, now 22, married an Austrian man before I met my husband. Now my
daughter's marriage is failing. She is not yet an Austrian citizen and there is a
good chance that her husband will refuse to have her live with him.

If that happens my daughter has nowhere to go. She can't remain in Austria and she
knows nobody back in Ukraine. She has no means of supporting herself there and she
would have no roof over her head.

We are not rich and cannot afford to send large sums overseas but we want to
support her.

Is there any way she can obtain a visa for Australia so that she can live with us
becasue we can support her. She is 22 and she speaks English well enough to be
able to work.

Please help with a few suggestions, I am worried sick about my daughter.

Thank you.

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 11:21 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with info please, daughter has nowhere to go.

when can you become a citizen???
once you are citizen can you sponser her???? i think you can...but have to place bond i think.....
....oh i dunno....maybe jaj, georgr or alan can help....

can she apply for a job in oz and be sponsored by an employer???????...what does she do????

oh i hope you can sort it out you must be worried sick...
i would be......
my son is soon 18...so we want to apply for pr before then....he is totally dependent on us and in full time education....
BUT he may decide to stay in uk....as long as he can have pr(ie on our application) and comes at least to validate his visa it will be ok ...he has 3 yrs to make his mind up....
Old Jun 2nd 2002, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in agreement with Yvsie, once you had lived in Oz for two years you can sponsor your daughter . If you haven't beeen there long enough can she not apply for a working holiday visa, this will give her 12 months in Oz and by then you'll be able to sponsor her. Even if she has no qualifying skills theres always the Remaining Relative visa class, i don't think you need to pass points test for this. Hope it works out for you.
Old Jun 2nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Jaj

Your daughter's age and the fact she has been married will stop her from being
treated as dependent on you.

If she has no close relatives outside Australia other than you, once you have PR
yourself you may be able to sponsor her for a visa under the Remaining Relative
category. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/f-remain.htm

If she is permanently separated or divorced, she will not be deemed to have a spouse
for the purposes of the Regulations.

In the meantime:
- she should consult with a lawyer in Austria to determine both her rights under
Austrian family law and Austrian immigration law
- getting her to Australia in the meantime will be difficult unless she has work
skills that allow an employer to sponsor her for a work permit.

Perhaps you could speak to an agent like George Lombard who could give more detail on
these and any other options that might be available.

Jeremy

>On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:21:28 +1000, "Tanya" <[email protected]> wrote: I have
    >recently married an Australian and live with him in Australia. I am only entitled to
    >an Australian permanent resident visa in March 2003. I am a Ukrainian national.
    >
    >My daughter, now 22, married an Austrian man before I met my husband. Now my
    >daughter's marriage is failing. She is not yet an Austrian citizen and there is a
    >good chance that her husband will refuse to have her live with him.
    >
    >If that happens my daughter has nowhere to go. She can't remain in Austria and she
    >knows nobody back in Ukraine. She has no means of supporting herself there and she
    >would have no roof over her head.
    >
    >We are not rich and cannot afford to send large sums overseas but we want to
    >support her.
    >
    >Is there any way she can obtain a visa for Australia so that she can live with us
    >becasue we can support her. She is 22 and she speaks English well enough to be
    >able to work.
    >
    >Please help with a few suggestions, I am worried sick about my daughter.
    >
    >Thank you.

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

Australians do not have an automatic right to sponsor non-dependent children, unless
they fit into the Remaining Relative class.

A child who is or has been married is unlikely to be considered dependent. Leaving
that aside, it is difficult to convince the authorities that a 22 year old is
dependent.

Jeremy

>On 2 Jun 2002 16:20:18 GMT, yvsie <[email protected]> wrote: when can you
    >become a citizen??? once you are citizen can you sponser her???? i think you
    >can...but have to place bond i think..... ....oh i dunno....maybe jaj, georgr or
    >alan can help....

Old Jun 9th 2002, 6:20 am
Tanya

Yhank you for all the replies. They are all good tip and we will follow them up.

You see, my daughter would have a problem staying in Austria if her marriage breaks
down. Her visa would not be renewed. In any case, in Austria foreigners don't get
treated kindly, there is a lot of discrimination. She would have problems to get a
job despite of the fact that she speaks German well.

I sincerely hope that Austrian immigrants in Australia are not treated like Austrians
treat immigrants in Austria.

I want to thank all of you who responded for your kindness. Thanks a million!

Tanya

"Tanya" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have recently married an Australian and live with him in Australia. I am only
    > entitled to an Australian permanent resident visa in March 2003. I am a Ukrainian
    > national.
    >
    > My daughter, now 22, married an Austrian man before I met my husband. Now my
    > daughter's marriage is failing. She is not yet an Austrian citizen and there is a
    > good chance that her husband will refuse to have her live with him.
    >
    > If that happens my daughter has nowhere to go. She can't remain in Austria and she
    > knows nobody back in Ukraine. She has no means of supporting herself there and she
    > would have no roof over her head.
    >
    > We are not rich and cannot afford to send large sums overseas but we want to
    > support her.
    >
    > Is there any way she can obtain a visa for Australia so that she can live with us
    > becasue we can support her. She is 22 and she speaks English well enough to be able
    > to work.
    >
    > Please help with a few suggestions, I am worried sick about my daughter.
    >
    > Thank you.

Old Jun 10th 2002, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tanya,
Somewhere near to you there will be a Migrant Resource Centre Go and have a talk to them People there are willing to help Maybe you could be worrying for nothing Look them up in the Phone book Even talk to them over the phone
Regards Gerard
Old Jun 10th 2002, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SueandIan
a working holiday visa, this will give her 12 months in Oz and by then you'll be able to sponsor her...
12 months, hmmm... who knows maybe she will find someone in Oz.

by the way isn't you that person that posted a while ago a thread about why shouldn't australians marry an Ucrainean.

About the Austrians how can you blame them for beeing so nasty. Gypsies ate the all the swans from the lakes (they said it taste like chicken), Ucrainean rackets kill you for a couple of coins and so on...
Old Jun 10th 2002, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Think you're mistaken there Mxqth.....
Old Jun 10th 2002, 1:20 pm
Jaj

Maybe try the Immigration Advice Rights Centre, http://www.iarc.asn.au

Jeremy

>On 10 Jun 2002 10:21:05 GMT, mozz48 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Tanya, Somewhere near to you there will be a Migrant Resource Centre Go and
    >have a talk to them People there are willing to help Maybe you could be worrying
    >for nothing Look them up in the Phone book Even talk to them over the phone
    >Regards Gerard
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com