Help!! Immigration Newbie Seeks Advice...

Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:35 pm
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of
Default Help!! Immigration Newbie Seeks Advice...

Hello all, thank you for taking the time to read my message. I am a new member, but have been avidly reading through your messages over the last few weeks and you have all proved interesting reading!

I am looking for some advice with regard to Skills Assessments.

Together with my Wife we are hoping to apply for a Designated Area Skills Sponsored Visa for Victoria (Melbourne). My wife has an Auntie who is willing to sponsor us, so thats not a problem, but we would be using my skills as the 'skilled part'

I am trying to get my head around what I need to have assessed, as I have a degree in 3D Design, which should satisfy the assessment for Industrial Designer, worth 50 points; But I have been employed as a Web Designer (IT Professional - Systems Designer, on their SOL list) for the last 8 years. IT Professional is currently a 60 point occupation. Can someone tell me if I need both my degree and my work experience assessed, or just my degree. As I would prefer not to have to go through the RPL thingy, if I can help it!

Sorry for the long message.. zzzzz..

Thank you in advance if you can help me!

Cheers

CarlosTheGerbil
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Kangaroorick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help!! Immigration Newbie Seeks Advice...

Originally Posted by carlosthegerbil
Hello all, thank you for taking the time to read my message. I am a new member, but have been avidly reading through your messages over the last few weeks and you have all proved interesting reading!

Together with my Wife we are hoping to apply for a Designated Area Skills Sponsored Visa for Victoria (Melbourne). My wife has an Auntie who is willing to sponsor us, so thats not a problem, but we would be using my skills as the 'skilled part'

I am trying to get my head around what I need to have assessed, as I have a degree in 3D Design, which should satisfy the assessment for Industrial Designer, worth 50 points; But I have been employed as a Web Designer (IT Professional - Systems Designer, on their SOL list) for the last 8 years. IT Professional is currently a 60 point occupation. Can someone tell me if I need both my degree and my work experience assessed, or just my degree. As I would prefer not to have to go through the RPL thingy, if I can help it!

Cheers

CarlosTheGerbil
Why would you need 60 points rather than 50 for your occupation, if you are applying for the designated area sponsored? I'm interested to know, because if my skills asses fails, I will be looking to be assessed under a 40 point occupation, and go the same way as yourself.....I didnt think that visa was points tested, just that you meet the requirements.

I could be way off the mark, I haven't looked at it too much, that was just my initial thought.

BTW I hear this visa is going to change in nature come the 1st July, it might be that it becomes a temp visa....im sure others will better advise.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:47 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You should be aware of the anticipated change to the Skilled - Designated Area Sponsored visa effective 1 July 2006 - see the second bullet point at the foot of this link:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=339

You may therefore need to look at the points tested Skilled - Australian Sponsored visa (subclass number 138), where the pass mark is 110 points.

As to your skills assessment issues - to a large extent it depends on what you need to attain the visa outcome. In other words, can you satisfy the points pass mark based on a 50 points skills assessment? If so, it may be that you lodge a visa application on the basis of recent work experience in a 50 point occupation such as Graphic Designer.

Best regards.

Cheers

CarlosTheGerbil
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:55 pm

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
You should be aware of the anticipated change to the Skilled - Designated Area Sponsored visa effective 1 July 2006 - see the second bullet point at the foot of this link:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=339

You may therefore need to look at the points tested Skilled - Australian Sponsored visa (subclass number 138), where the pass mark is 110 points.

As to your skills assessment issues - to a large extent it depends on what you need to attain the visa outcome. In other words, can you satisfy the points pass mark based on a 50 points skills assessment? If so, it may be that you lodge a visa application on the basis of recent work experience in a 50 point occupation such as Graphic Designer.

Best regards.
I see what you mean.. I was hoping to use my Batchelors Degree in 3D Design to satisfy the Industrial Designer skills assessment with VETASSESS, but wasn't sure if my work experience as a web designer was relevant to the application, and if it was, would it need to be assesed as well. I have just been and done a points test under the Sponsored Skilled Visa you suggested and I come out with 115, so that may be a avenue. I think whichever way I look at it, I am going to need to get my Degree assessed for a 50 point occupation.

Just another thing I have noticed too, you mention being able to lodge a Visa pplication using work exerience as say, a Graphic Designer, but I assume that the application will require assessment of my work experience but how do you go about getting work experience assessed? I see that VETASSESS, the approved body for Graphic Designer and Industrial Designer only look at qualifications rather than work experience, sorry if I'm being a dullard?!

Thanks for your help Alan.

By the way, if anyone is reading this thread and can help in my application process, I am willing to do a skills exchange should you need any web design work undertaking!, just thought I would mention it.

Last edited by carlosthegerbil; Jun 19th 2006 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:16 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The DIMA case officer looks at the evidence you provide in respect of work experience when considering the basic work experience requirement and any claim to points for specific work experience.

Best regards.

I see what you mean.. I was hoping to use my Batchelors Degree in 3D Design to satisfy the Industrial Designer skills assessment with VETASSESS, but wasn't sure if my work experience as a web designer was relevant to the application, and if it was, would it need to be assesed as well. I have just been and done a points test under the Sponsored Skilled Visa you suggested and I come out with 115, so that may be a avenue. I think whichever way I look at it, I am going to need to get my Degree assessed for a 50 point occupation.

Just another thing I have noticed too, you mention being able to lodge a Visa pplication using work exerience as say, a Graphic Designer, but I assume that the application will require assessment of my work experience but how do you go about getting work experience assessed? I see that VETASSESS, the approved body for Graphic Designer and Industrial Designer only look at qualifications rather than work experience, sorry if I'm being a dullard?!

Thanks for your help Alan.

By the way, if anyone is reading this thread and can help in my application process, I am willing to do a skills exchange should you need any web design work undertaking!, just thought I would mention it.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:50 am
Just Joined

chanteldl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Help!! Immigration Newbie Seeks Advice...

Hi guys

I will really appreciate any help with my RPL for web design. I'm not sure how to use the CBOK terminology with explaining what I've learned through my web design working experience.

Can anyone help me with a few tips?

Much apprecaited
Chantel
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by chanteldl
Hi guys

I will really appreciate any help with my RPL for web design. I'm not sure how to use the CBOK terminology with explaining what I've learned through my web design working experience.

Can anyone help me with a few tips?

Much apprecaited
Chantel
Chantel,

I cannot help with this too much as I am not following the RPL route myself. I am using my degree and nominating an occupation that my degree will suit. i.e. Industrial Designer. Do you have any kind of post secondary qualification? as you may be able to follow a similar route?

I have not seen the requirements that ACS will need to assess your Web Design experience, so cannot advise. In my experience it just pays to adopt a scattergun approach and write EVERYTHING down. They can always ignore the stuff they dont want to know about. I would recommend going back over every project you have worked on, and write in good detail the equipment, systems, work practises and software you have used to reach the end of the project.

I hope this helps?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your motivation! I will give it my best.

If you hear of anyone that might also be busy with their RPL for web design, please ask them to get in contact with me, i will appreciate any help on this!

Will let you know the outcome

thx
c
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by chanteldl
Thank you for your motivation! I will give it my best.

If you hear of anyone that might also be busy with their RPL for web design, please ask them to get in contact with me, i will appreciate any help on this!

Will let you know the outcome

thx
c
No worries Chantel, what sort of web design have you been doing?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Information architecture
Analysing and planning website content; designing site structure; visualising user journeys.

Graphic/Interface design
Designing screen layouts/navigation/icons, sourcing images.

Web development
HTML and CSS coding, site checking
Multimedai (Flash)
Consultancy and project management
SEO optimisation

I design websites with harmonious integration of quality imagery, business relevant, brand effective, browser compatibility, AND optimized to integrate with the major search engines. With the end result being a competitive and business relevant online presence.

Hope this can tell you a bit. Do you think you can help me with some RPL documents with the CBOK?

Thanks a mill