Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help with going to an Australian University from the UK!

Help with going to an Australian University from the UK!

Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Beeccaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with going to an Australian University from the UK!

I honestly don't even know the basics for this since I am only 17. I don't know what the recommendations are, how you can be accepted for a visa, money situations, financial aid etc. I would like advice on people have experienced this or atleast know things about it. All I know is I REALLY want to study in Australia! I am currently doing my AS Levels (if you guys know what that is haha.) and I finish school in about a year and a half. This is why I want to find out as much as possible about this before fully deciding upon it.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!
Thankyou for your time guys!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with going to an Australian University from the UK!

Originally Posted by Beeccaa
I honestly don't even know the basics for this since I am only 17. I don't know what the recommendations are, how you can be accepted for a visa, money situations, financial aid etc. I would like advice on people have experienced this or atleast know things about it. All I know is I REALLY want to study in Australia! I am currently doing my AS Levels (if you guys know what that is haha.) and I finish school in about a year and a half. This is why I want to find out as much as possible about this before fully deciding upon it.

Google is your friend. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...9c1c1215c5e56b
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

If you intend to study as an international student you had better have lots of money.Check out the uni courses and fees for international students and also add on for living costs not cheap.

http://sydney.edu.au/internationalof.../ug/int_ug.pdf

.http://sydney.edu.au/internationalof.../ug/int_ug.pdf

Last edited by swmbo63; Feb 10th 2011 at 1:15 am.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:15 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth considering that if you wish to do your whole undergrad degree in Australia the tuition fees alone are likely to set you back a minimum of $25,000. Plus living expenses for the year are calculated as approximately $18,000 per year (http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...ving-costs.htm).

This is obviously very expensive and you would not be eligible for a traditional 'student loan' from either the UK or Australia.

It may be worth considering doing your Uni in the UK and many UK Unis offer a year abroad as part of the undergrad course - many offer this opportunity in Australia. In this instance, you pay your home uni fees and they cover the fees at the Aussie Uni.

Also if you do well in your undergrad, it's possibel to get a post-grad scholarship to study in Australia - it's very competitive but it is possible.

Good luck.

NB. http://www.immi.gov.au/students/ is a key resource.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

There's also schemes like the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust http://www.wcmt.org.uk/.

Why exactly do you want to go to uni here instead of the UK?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I'd start by looking on the webpages for the different universities here and see if there's anything that looks good. Scholarships tend to be handled at the department level - so you would have to ask them directly if there is any help with fees.

have a look at http://www.universitiesaustralia.edu...sity-profiles/

The unis can advise on how to apply for the visa.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between Oz international fees and home UK fees is narrowing somewhat. But you won't get a student loan so will have to find the funds up front.

Many Oz unis give scholorships to AAA students though so have a look at the prospectuses on line, living costs will vary depending on where you go.

As a previous poster said many UK courses offer opportunities to spend a year abroad. What subject are you interested in?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping to take a loan out here so I could somehow get the money for it, but I'm not sure if they allow me to get money out from a British bank FROM Oz, if that makes any sense to you haha.

What do scholorships cover? They vary from University to University I take it? I'm sorry, AAA? Do you know the cheaper places from the more expensive places?

That's what I was thinking about if I can't actually study over there full time, but I would prefer a full time type of thing.

I haven't fully chosen between teaching, nursing or vetinary practice as of yet.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I'd start by looking on the webpages for the different universities here and see if there's anything that looks good. Scholarships tend to be handled at the department level - so you would have to ask them directly if there is any help with fees.

have a look at http://www.universitiesaustralia.edu...sity-profiles/

The unis can advise on how to apply for the visa.
I've looked through alot of Universities and had a look at how good the courses are. Sydney and Brisbane were the two that really took my fancy. They get handed out at department level? What does that mean exactly? Right ok

Thankyou!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't fully chosen between teaching, nursing or vetinary practice as of yet.
Those are very different types of studies and will attract very different fees. Bear in mind that places in veterinary school are very competitive and you are going to need to be in the top of your class to get offered a place.

It would be a very good idea for you to sit down and think of what you want to do before looking at universities. Teaching, nursing or veterinary science are completely different careers.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:06 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.studyoptions.com/

Maybe have a chat with Stefan Watts at Study Options in London?

Good luck!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I've looked through alot of Universities and had a look at how good the courses are. Sydney and Brisbane were the two that really took my fancy. They get handed out at department level? What does that mean exactly? Right ok

Thankyou!
Hi, in most cases here the department decides who gets grants, or at least has the knowledge where you should look. If you spoke to the admissions office of a university they may not know as much.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

What do scholorships cover? They vary from University to University I take it? I'm sorry, AAA? Do you know the cheaper places from the more expensive places?

You would have to check with the university and scholarship what the actual conditions are, it depends on who is giving out the money and what strings they attach. Your best bet would be to contact each department and ask them what they have going.

Oh - with the courses if you were planning to work in the UK after i'd check that the UK body would accept qualifications from Aus. Don't teachers, nurses and vets have to be accredited?

I went on a jolly to tooronga zoo in Sydney once, they brought the animals up to us. For a laugh we looked on the net to find out how one could become a zoo keeper - there are courses to become 'elephant handlers'. I'd imagine working as a vet there being quite fun!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Do your Nurse training in the UK, at least you still get a tax free bursary to help your day to day living costs.

Once qualified get a couple of years experience and move to Australia.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of things to think about here.
Speak to the careers/connexions adviser in your college to start with. They can help you decide which direction would suit you best -this is the first step. They can then take you through the pros and cons of study abroad.

As another poster said many professional qualifications are not automatically accepted in other countries so you need to check this out too.

Good luck