Help! Desperate!!!

Old Nov 18th 2002, 6:18 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Brumby, I am sorry my reply came over badly, I am also very sorry to hear about your personal situation and I hope things turn out positively for you.

Cheers and best wishes - Don
Old Nov 18th 2002, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Brumby is an unknown quantity at this point

Don - No worries. I'm sorry for snapping. It's just a very frustrating circumstance... :-/

Pete- Agreed with all you said. Thanks for the reply.

Still holding out hope that something will come through and it will work out.
Old Nov 19th 2002, 6:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Brumby
Thanks, for the input everyone.

Unfortunately, I don't have a degree and I don't have 6 years experience in one skill area (4 yrs in QA, 2 in Sys Admin, 4 in Operations and general office).
Thanks!
</snip>

Brumby, like you I was desperate to move to Australia & 10 years ago applied and was rejected. I was gutted. I remained in various different jobs in IT, all IT but different skills (Interface design, system admin, webmaster etc.) I have no degree (I do have an HND - in hotel management!). I did get residency, and this is how I did it, & you could too.

I joined the British Computer Society as a Professional Member (Associate Grade) - this required 6 years IT experience. They have a sort of points system to for professional membership and my Hotel Management HND counted for 5 important points too! As will your unrelated degree once you get it.

The fact that I was a Professional Member of the BCS meant I didn't have to do the RPL & got me a positive Skills Assessment.

I was assessed as being on MODL, I think you probably won't be but I reckon that a positive skills assessment from the ACS ougt to get you 60 points.

OK I've just looked it up - I worked out a score for you of 115, based on NOT being on MODL - enough to get in. Your fluency in 5 languages could get you 5 bonus points - pick the best one though, you have to be 100% fluent written & spoken.

Have a look at http://www1.bcs.org.uk/ and work out whether you'll qualify for Associate Member - enough to avoid RPL & get a positive from the ACS (you have 6 years IT experience don't you 4 testing 2 sysadmin). You'll have to supply references, write a skills report and maybe have a panel interview.

This is how I managed to fulfil my dream, were off in January, & I reckon you'll be able to achieve it too.

Good luck

Renth
Old Nov 19th 2002, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help! Desperate!!!

Thunder, as someone who does nothave a degree, please could you let me know of the professions and trades i cuold get a qualification that would satisfy the immigration requirements. my email is [email protected]

many thanks
Originally posted by Thunder Ace
    > Hi, Brumby
    >
    > Feel strange to read that you said 'do not have the points', how you
    > calculated your points then? Coz i think according to your career exp,
    > you could get the 115p for immi successfully as a SW Engineer.
    > btw, what's your degree and major?
    >
    > Cheer up!
    >
    > Sherman
    > Originally posted by Brumby

Sherman, I don't think she has a degree, that's why she can't get the
points. Now, it depends on how comitted she is, but it sounds like she
is clever enough to get a degree. 3 Years from now, she could be on
her way. Or she could get a formal qualification in some other
profession or trade. That could be acheived in as little as two years.

Thunder Ace
Old Nov 19th 2002, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Hello Renth,

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! This is extremely helpful.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

- Do you have to be living in the UK or have UK based experience/qualifications to qualify?

- Is there somewhere on the ACS website that discusses exemption from the RPL for AMBCS members?

- Can you get membership without a degree if you have enough work experience to cover the points?

I am a dual citizen and all my work experience has been in the US. I reckon I'd have to go to UK for the panel interview, but will they even consider someone not living in the UK?

If I can pass the Skills Assessment with ACS I'd have JUST enough points to squeek in, but I probably need to apply now, before my qualifications are complete, just in case they raise the points system (again!) or ACS changes its rules (again!).

What do you reckon?

Cheers,

Ona
Old Nov 19th 2002, 3:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Brumby
Hello Renth,

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! This is extremely helpful.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

- Do you have to be living in the UK or have UK based experience/qualifications to qualify?

- Is there somewhere on the ACS website that discusses exemption from the RPL for AMBCS members?

- Can you get membership without a degree if you have enough work experience to cover the points?

I am a dual citizen and all my work experience has been in the US. I reckon I'd have to go to UK for the panel interview, but will they even consider someone not living in the UK?

If I can pass the Skills Assessment with ACS I'd have JUST enough points to squeek in, but I probably need to apply now, before my qualifications are complete, just in case they raise the points system (again!) or ACS changes its rules (again!).

What do you reckon?

Cheers,

Ona
I've been looking at the ACS web site: http://www.acs.org.au.

Sorry to have raised your hopes but looking at the NEW guidelines some of the things that look to have changed that I've not heard anyone mention (mainly because I now frequent the culture newsgroup, not the migration one) are:

1) Kept the recognition of British Computer Society Full Professional Membership to qualify as an A grade - Suitable. But seemed to have dropped the recognition of the Singapore Computer Society and I think another one (Hong-Kong, I can't remember).

2) This is the bit that affects you.... dropped the recognition of Associate Grade Membership of said societies as a Potentially Suitable, B grade.

It looks like RPL wil have to be the way to go. Once again, sorry to have got your hopes up.

I would recommend getting this confirmed by the ACS as a change to their policy before considering this door closed.

Keep on trying though, things change and, like me, you might get to realise your Australian dream. I can't see them not wanting paramedics.

Rgds,

Renth
Old Nov 19th 2002, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Well, looks like my dream is fully buggered.

I guess an AMBCS isn't considered a full membership. I had a look at ACS and it SEEMED like I could qualify under Category A after what you said... so I guess we were both mistaken...

Even if ACS did accept an AMBCS as full membership, it would still have been questionable whether I'd qualify if I don't live in the UK and I haven't obtained my quals or work experience in the UK?

I guess I am back to hurry up and wait mode. The waiting and hoping that criteria will change for the better really isn't a good option either... given the economy and global climate I don't see things getting more relaxed. In fact, I imagine that the longer I wait, the more difficult it will become to apply. We're also getting back to the whole limbo issue. I'm 31, and will be 32 in just a few months. I'd like to get to Australia BEFORE I'm 33... I still have a career to pursue, and would eventually like to meet someone and maybe have a family! These days it feels like I'm just running around like a madwoman with no aim or purpose. I am tired of bashing the head against the brick wall of DIMA begging them to let me in.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so infuriating! I may as well just change the topic heading to F*** IT! I'm done. It's quite obvious from all the wonderful replies with people trying to offer help that I've already exhausted all avenues.

I appreciate everyone's help but it is quite clear that mine is a case that cannot be helped and I am not willing to wait 10 years in limbo or throw good money after bad in a vain attempt to fit some ridiculous mold that the bean counters at DIMA have determined is "acceptable".

Sorry to have taken up everyone's time and especially sorry if I have snapped at anyone in my frustration.

I give up!