Help.. any other way

Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Sharon2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help.. any other way

Hello fellow exparts,

I wonder if anybody can help me. My current situation is that I've been on a 457 for the last 2 years, as my employer will only renew 457 on a yearly basis. I've been here just over 4 years in total and I'm desperate to get permanent residency (PR) and make Australia home.

But since my current employer won't assist with PR, I'm currently looking for alternative ways in which I can stay in Oz. Other than finding a new employer, is there any other way of getting PR?

If I did find a new employer, I wanted to know what is the minimum contract I should ask for from new employer so I that I can go for PR? Is it a 3 or 4 years? And do I have to have worked with new employer for a minimum time period before applying for PR?

I really hope somebody can help me, I'm at my wits end but don't want to go back to UK now, not after all this time.

Thanks very much

Sharon2020;-)
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help.. any other way

Originally Posted by Sharon2020
Hello fellow exparts,

I wonder if anybody can help me. My current situation is that I've been on a 457 for the last 2 years, as my employer will only renew 457 on a yearly basis. I've been here just over 4 years in total and I'm desperate to get permanent residency (PR) and make Australia home.

But since my current employer won't assist with PR, I'm currently looking for alternative ways in which I can stay in Oz. Other than finding a new employer, is there any other way of getting PR?
Have you checked how many points you have for general skilled migration?

And what state/territory are you living in?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Help.. any other way

I'm actually in Victoria and I only get 115 points, so I can't do the skilled visa.

Also I was hoping to stay in Oz, as I've got furniture etc and pretty much settled.

Do you also know if you've been in the same job for 4 years on a 457, can you just apply for PR on your own? If I can ride out the next two years, with just getting one visa at a time through current employer? Its not ideal but I'm really desperate, and I'm totally running out of ideas.

Many thanks again for all your advice. Its very much appreciated.

Cheers

S;-(
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually in Victoria and I only get 115 points, so I can't do the skilled visa.

Also I was hoping to stay in Oz, as I've got furniture etc and pretty much settled.

Do you also know if you've been in the same job for 4 years on a 457, can you just apply for PR on your own?

No, sorry.

But have you checked to see if Victoria might be willing to sponsor you?
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au ?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

No, I thought you had to get a job with the Victorian government??? Its all so confusing, thanks very much for the link. I'll take a good look now.

If I do stay in this job for 4 years, can I just apply for PR on my own without involoving my company?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

No, I thought you had to get a job with the Victorian government??? Its all so confusing, thanks very much for the link. I'll take a good look now.

If I do stay in this job for 4 years, can I just apply for PR on my own without involoving my company?
Once again. Just working on a 457 for 4 years (or 25 years for that matter) does not give you an automatic right to apply for PR independently.

Strongly recommend you get some professional assistance on your options. Try George Lombard in Sydney - 02 97990085.

Or if you need a referral to a competent local practitioner, try RILC:
http://www.rilc.org.au
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks again JJ, I really didn't know that. I'm based in Melbourne and I've been speaking with Calhen and Wilson, who were recommended to me.

I'll look into the Victorian option and of course I'm more than happy to move interstate if I have to.

Thanks again, I'm exhausted with the entire thing.

S;-(
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:36 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again JJ, I really didn't know that. I'm based in Melbourne and I've been speaking with Calhen and Wilson, who were recommended to me.

I'll look into the Victorian option and of course I'm more than happy to move interstate if I have to.

Thanks again, I'm exhausted with the entire thing.

S;-(
Hi Sharon

Assuming that you have counted 25 points for passing IELTS you must be between 30-34 and in a 50 point occupation, thats the only way I can get to 115 points while counting your Australian work experience.

Do you have any language skills?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi ex_exile

Thats exactly my points total 115 points, as I don't have a language that's counted - I'm gutted, just 5 points short for the general skills visa.

I was just looking at South Australia, their pass rate is just 90points but my occupation (communications/PR) isn't on their occupation list, so does that mean I can't apply? I'm so upset been working here the entire time and for the last 2 years within my profession, so I thought there might be a way of staying.

I've completley run out of ideas, and my immigration lawyer wants to charge me $1000 just to discus my possible options, which is loads of money, so I thought maybe somebody here could help me.

So would my only option be to lodge a general skills visa, even though I'm 5 points short and hope for the best?

Please any advice would really help me, I'm having sleepless nights because I'm running out of time.

Thanks again for all the support, and advice. I don't feel quiet so alone trying to figure all this out.

Sharon
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi ex_exile

Thats exactly my points total 115 points, as I don't have a language that's counted - I'm gutted, just 5 points short for the general skills visa.

I was just looking at South Australia, their pass rate is just 90points but my occupation (communications/PR) isn't on their occupation list, so does that mean I can't apply? I'm so upset been working here the entire time and for the last 2 years within my profession, so I thought there might be a way of staying.

I've completley run out of ideas, and my immigration lawyer wants to charge me $1000 just to discus my possible options, which is loads of money, so I thought maybe somebody here could help me.
I've already suggested you call George Lombard in Sydney. With respect, I can't advise anything better than that.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:34 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ex_exile

So would my only option be to lodge a general skills visa, even though I'm 5 points short and hope for the best?

Please any advice would really help me, I'm having sleepless nights because I'm running out of time.

Thanks again for all the support, and advice. I don't feel quiet so alone trying to figure all this out.

Sharon
Hi Sharon

Applying through general skilled migration with 115 points is ummm, pointless as the pass mark is highly unlikly to fall to that level.

2221-11 (Communications / Public relations) seems to be on the state sponsor list of at least SA and Tasmania, you would be comitting yourself to living in the sponsoring state for 2 years though.

You say that you dont have a language thats counted but do you have any languages apart from English?

I wouldnt pay $1000 upfront for a consultation, thats crazy talk. They need to convince you that they can help you before money like that changes hands.

Cheers

x_x
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks JJ, I will call George this Friday, its a bit difficult using the phone at work as you can imagine.

Hi Ex_exile,

Thanks for clarifying the South Australia system, I couldn't figure that out from their website info, so I'll follow that up today. I do speak Creole, which I checked doesn't count for anything as they want East African languages rather than West.

Thanks very much for agreeing me with that immigration fee is bit steep, if I can apply for South Australia or Tasmanian I'll do that and just go through the paper work myself. I'd happily live in another state for 2 years, as I can always return to Victoria in due time.

Could you please let me know where you found out that 2221-11 (Communications / Public relations) is on the South Australia list? I was on the following website:

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit...d_visa_gsm.php

Thanks so much you've been a complete star!

S;-)x
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:54 am

Hi Sharon

Creole thats interesting!

This seems to be the latest SA sponsorship list, but remember that these lists are revised from time to time. So if you are going to apply sooner is better than later. I hear Adelaide is a nice place to live (for a while ).

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/pdf...rovisional.pdf

Good luck

x_x

Last edited by ex_exile; Feb 6th 2008 at 1:57 am.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Help.. any other way

Hi Ex_exile

Yer its the language of the free slaves, for the good its doing me now LOL!

Thanks again, I did find PR on the list after I searched the site, I think blind panic set in before I got your reply; so I'm totally on it. I'll be applying for the skills test tomorrow and taking it from there.

I spent one day in Adelaide and it seemed quiet, but as long as I don't have to go back to the UK I'll be happy - and its only 2 year s, so I'm sure I can cope. After almost 5 years I completely feel like an Aussie, so its game on!

Thanks again, you really helped me.

Smiles

S;-)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks JJ, I will call George this Friday, its a bit difficult using the phone at work as you can imagine.
You can also email him: george [at] austimmigration [dot] com [ dot] au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.