Help! 31 and unsure about Visa possibility

Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

vcornford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! 31 and unsure about Visa possibility

I'm 31 and hoping to move over to Oz with my partner. The problem is I'm not eligible for a working travel Visa because of my age and my job isn't listed in the skills section required. What are my options?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:47 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help! 31 and unsure about Visa possibility

Hello! Try here to see what the options might be for you and your partner: http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/
Good luck!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Hey there thanks for the link had a little look at that and looks as though may have to get a visa that won't let me work. Do you know whether you can then apply / get sponsorship when over there to enable me to work and change my visa? It' all very new at moment we're both just looking into it.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:57 pm

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vcornford
Hey there thanks for the link had a little look at that and looks as though may have to get a visa that won't let me work. Do you know whether you can then apply / get sponsorship when over there to enable me to work and change my visa? It' all very new at moment we're both just looking into it.
Ah sorry can't advise on visa options myself, I only know my own situation...am sure someone else will be along soon and respond to you as well tho! There are some migration agents on here too, and they are best placed to advise if your circumstances are not straightforward for getting the type of visa you want / need. Meantime have you tried the wizard? http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/
Pam
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vcornford
What's your occupation? How about your partner's occupation? What's that? Do you want to go for a short time or permanently?

A little information goes a long way in answering your question.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Hi there, Sorry I was a little vague. I do sales admin for a medical company and have done a little accounts work but not qualified etc and he's a driver. He is under 30 so should be able to get a working travel visa but it looks as though things will be a little more difficult for me. I have read a few links which as quite similar and someone suggested a business ETA rather than a visitor one. Anyone any ideas?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Oops sorry I forgot to mention that we were hoping to settle there long term but short term would like to get moving on anything we can!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PamE
Ah sorry can't advise on visa options myself, I only know my own situation...am sure someone else will be along soon and respond to you as well tho! There are some migration agents on here too, and they are best placed to advise if your circumstances are not straightforward for getting the type of visa you want / need. Meantime have you tried the wizard? http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/
Pam
Thanks Pam I had a look through the wizard at a few of the options available
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Your only option would be a student visa, which costs loads, and would mean you could only work 20 hours a week, although your partner could still go on the WHV. After studying for 2 years (costing at LEAST $10k per year) you could apply for PR. BUT not all courses will let you get PR at the end, you have to be careful.
They are mostly things like cooking, hairdressing, gardening, or a longer course, nursing etc.

Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Your only option would be a student visa, which costs loads, and would mean you could only work 20 hours a week, although your partner could still go on the WHV. After studying for 2 years (costing at LEAST $10k per year) you could apply for PR. BUT not all courses will let you get PR at the end, you have to be careful.
They are mostly things like cooking, hairdressing, gardening, or a longer course, nursing etc.

Good luck
Hi, fyi re. hairdressing & cookery http://www.theage.com.au/national/ha...1210-6vwk.html
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
They may have other options besides student route. It's possible that the OP could look at the SOL for occupations that are similar to hers, pas a skills assessment and come on a state sponsored or regional visa.

Take a look at the Skilled Occupations List on the DIAC website www.immi.gov.au to see if there is anything that might match what you do. Alternately, speak to a MARA registered migration agent about what your options might be. Most will give you a free initial consultation.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Good luck
Hey Pumpkin Blossom

Thanks for the advice. That's definately something I could look at as re-training would be something I'd quite like to do. As for the expense i'd have to weigh it up but it gives me something to look at.

Thank you
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
They may have other options besides student route. It's possible that the OP could look at the SOL for occupations that are similar to hers, pas a skills assessment and come on a state sponsored or regional visa.

Take a look at the Skilled Occupations List on the DIAC website www.immi.gov.au to see if there is anything that might match what you do. Alternately, speak to a MARA registered migration agent about what your options might be. Most will give you a free initial consultation.
I
Thanks Dorothy

We scrolled down the list and couldn't see a direct match but I wonder whether my qualifications could be useful? Have a degree in English but didn't follow on to teach etc Also started accountancy course I could pursue.. I need to have a good look about when I finish work this evening. Everyone has been really helpful so far though.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PamE
Thanks for the link Pam - will get a good luck when back from work
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

According to OP's jobs she has mentioned there will not be any jobs close which would be elegable. (hubbie worked in the same type of field, had there been a way we would have found it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.