Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Heading out to Oz in May and now I need surgery :-(

Heading out to Oz in May and now I need surgery :-(

Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Pippa1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Heading out to Oz in May and now I need surgery :-(

OK, not sure of where to post this but someone might know the answers to my questions.

We have our permanent residency and had planned to fly out to Oz in the first week of May 09. Well 3 weeks ago I started getting loads of abdominal pain and to cut a long story short.... I need an operation to remove my gallbladder. I have an appointment to see the hospital 8/4/09 but have no idea how long the waiting list is for the surgery. I have tried phoning the hospital but am getting no where fast and I don't want to fess up that we are emigrating, so need op quickly We also have to validate out visa early Nov 09.

Will this cause a problem if we end up going to OZ and getting the surgery there. Will there be any financial implications, or will Medicare cover it? Will it be classed as a pre-existing condition? Anything we need to be aware of?

We really need to exit the UK soon (otherwise we need to size up in car & rental - due to our very quickly growing boy).

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by Pippa1972; Mar 18th 2009 at 10:34 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Pippa1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Heading out to Oz in May and now I need surgery :-(

OK, just found out that the op will probably be 12 weeks from the consultation appt. So approx 4 months from now (mid July).

Questions still stand.

Also:-

- What are the surgery waiting lists like in Oz?
- If we got private insurance out there, will they cover the surgery b/c it was diagnosed in the UK?

Thanks again.

Pippa