Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Having a baby when on PR visa - Aussie citizen?

Having a baby when on PR visa - Aussie citizen?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Having a baby when on PR visa - Aussie citizen?

Hi
I'm sure I've asked this before or read a thread about it but my almost-34-weeks-pregnant brain is totally mullered at the moment - sorry!

We have PR (can't remember which class of visa it is though) and baby is due sometime in the next 54 days (not that I'm counting). Am I correct in thinking that the baby will be an Aussie citizen? I know it will be British by descent (as we are both British citizens by birth) and I'm pretty sure it'll be Australian too but thought I'd double-check and, if it's Aussie, I'll add "sort out Aussie passport" to my big long post-baby-to-do-list (as I know Aussie citizens have to travel on an Aussie passport).

Many thanks in advance

TillyG
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Having a baby when on PR visa - Aussie citizen?

Yes, if you have PR and have the baby in Australia it will be an Aussie citizen by birth.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/automa...z-by-birth.htm

Last edited by comet555; Apr 15th 2009 at 10:16 am. Reason: Edited for clarity: baby born must be born in Oz to PR parent for it to get citizenship by birth.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes, if you have PR then the baby will be a citizen by birth.
Brilliant, thanks so much comet555 - I was about 98% certain that that was the case, just wanted to set that little 2% niggle to rest

Right, best start thinking about getting me, DH & current DD sorted for Aussie citizenship soon too (we can go for it from Feb next year but I know there's sometimes a wait)... that can go on my mammoth to-do list too
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes, if you have PR then the baby will be a citizen by birth.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/automa...z-by-birth.htm
As long as you have it in Oz of course.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hereshoping
D'oh, meant to say in my OP that I would be having it here in Oz - am too far gone now to escape
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:15 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Yes correct, somehow I thought I read that they she was in Oz in the original post. Looking back I see that it's not there. So yes... as long as it's born in Oz. Good to clarify that one.

Originally Posted by TillyG
D'oh, meant to say in my OP that I would be having it here in Oz - am too far gone now to escape
That's ok... I missed it too! Good luck with the baby.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

teuer is an unknown quantity at this point

If the baby is born onshore -> australian citizen
If the baby is born offshore -> australian PR
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuer
If the baby is born offshore -> australian PR
Not true!

At least not automatically, needs to be sponsored for PR, new application, fee, medicals. etc.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
Hi
I'm sure I've asked this before or read a thread about it but my almost-34-weeks-pregnant brain is totally mullered at the moment - sorry!

We have PR (can't remember which class of visa it is though) and baby is due sometime in the next 54 days (not that I'm counting). Am I correct in thinking that the baby will be an Aussie citizen? I know it will be British by descent (as we are both British citizens by birth) and I'm pretty sure it'll be Australian too but thought I'd double-check and, if it's Aussie, I'll add "sort out Aussie passport" to my big long post-baby-to-do-list (as I know Aussie citizens have to travel on an Aussie passport).
Also see:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship

and: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad
Note the consequence of being British "by descent" in terms of passing on citizenship to the next generation.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Also see:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship

and: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad
Note the consequence of being British "by descent" in terms of passing on citizenship to the next generation.
Thanks JAJ - yep, I was aware of the fact that this child won't be able to pass on British citizenship to its children (if they are born outside of the UK), but it's a bit too late for me to bop back to the UK to have it now

Will keep a note of this thread now for future reference