Has anybody ever applied for STNI scheme?

Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant future
Default Has anybody ever applied for STNI scheme?

State/Territory nominated independant scheme!!

Just trying to figure out if it a lengthly process? I was told that if you do get approved the visa is very cheap??????
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anybody ever applied for STNI scheme?

Originally Posted by Dazlinsky

Just trying to figure out if it a lengthly process? I was told that if you do get approved the visa is very cheap??????
Length of process of getting a state nomination varies, and it's impossible to guess.

You also need a skill assessment - again, time varies greatly. The visa application part is prioritised but still takes a few months.

Who told you the visa was 'very cheap'? It costs the same as any other general skilled migration visa.

Jeremy
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:52 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Dear D,

Not all that lengthy. Victoria can take three months or so, and WA is still trying to figure out its procedures, but the others (SA and Tasmania) are reasonably prompt.

Not "cheap" - one procedure is that you can apply for "skill matching" and then you pay the visa application fee when the STNI nomination is lodged with the Department of Immigration. Otherwise, you can pay the fee up front. Some states, eg SA, have highly attractive welcome mat procedures which can see you in accommodation and employment shortly after arrival, and they'll even pick you up from the airport.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Length of process of getting a state nomination varies, and it's impossible to guess.

You also need a skill assessment - again, time varies greatly. The visa application part is prioritised but still takes a few months.

Who told you the visa was 'very cheap'? It costs the same as any other general skilled migration visa.

Jeremy
Thanks JAJ,

I thought it wouldn't be cheaper because then everybody would be trying for them?? It was just someone on another forum.

So the best would just be to stick with the SIR 136???
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear D,

Not all that lengthy. Victoria can take three months or so, and WA is still trying to figure out its procedures, but the others (SA and Tasmania) are reasonably prompt.

Not "cheap" - one procedure is that you can apply for "skill matching" and then you pay the visa application fee when the STNI nomination is lodged with the Department of Immigration. Otherwise, you can pay the fee up front. Some states, eg SA, have highly attractive welcome mat procedures which can see you in accommodation and employment shortly after arrival, and they'll even pick you up from the airport.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Thanks for that George,
We originally wanted to go to Brisbane, but we have since changed our minds (as you do??LOL) to SA. It just seems for inviting! There is a lot of motor industry down there which helps me with employment!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Dazlinsky,

Am about to apply through the STNI scheme for Victoria as a secondary school teacher.

They appear to suggest the process is fast tracked although all the boxes need to be ticked in the same way. The costs is as per skilled indepndent migration.

The duration form start to finish is X months?

Under the STNI scheme a State or Territory need to niminate your application: this can only be done after skills assessment and registration with the appropriate professional body.

Bezza
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Berian
Dazlinsky,

Am about to apply through the STNI scheme for Victoria as a secondary

Under the STNI scheme a State or Territory need to niminate your application: this can only be done after skills assessment and registration with the appropriate professional body.

Bezza
Not true for Victoria - unlike the other state schemes, you can apply for STNI without a skills assessment.

You'll still need the skills assessment before you can apply to DIMIA, but at least you can save time by getting this and the STNI application going in parallel, rather than having to get the skills assessment first.

Phil
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PhilShila
Not true for Victoria - unlike the other state schemes, you can apply for STNI without a skills assessment.

You'll still need the skills assessment before you can apply to DIMIA, but at least you can save time by getting this and the STNI application going in parallel, rather than having to get the skills assessment first.

Phil
Where could I find more info on this??
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:22 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Dazlinsky,

Am about to apply through the STNI scheme for Victoria as a secondary school teacher.

They appear to suggest the process is fast tracked although all the boxes need to be ticked in the same way. The costs is as per skilled indepndent migration.

Bezza
Hi we are going STNI Tasmania. We were also told it was fast tracked but certainly hasnt been the case for us.

Partners skill has been added to MODL since we started the process too, but dosnt seem to have made a difference.

The advantage with STNI is you get automatic PR.

Possoms
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice
Smile Re: Has anybody ever applied for STNI scheme?

Dazlinsky,

Bezza
Hi do you need any work experience to apply for STNI..we are hoping to go on 139 but need 6 months work experience before we can apply..so are looking around just in case there is anougher way..Jackie.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Where could I find more info on this??

The VIC STNI site is at: http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

Phil
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackie/steve
Hi do you need any work experience to apply for STNI..we are hoping to go on 139 but need 6 months work experience before we can apply..so are looking around just in case there is anougher way..Jackie.

Yep - you will still need a skills assessemnt feom the relevant assessing body, and the work experience requirement will be the same no matter which skilled migration visa you are applying for.

Phil
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:51 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackie/steve
Hi yes you do the skills assessment is the same its just the visa class application that is different.

Look on the DIMIA website for all the details

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski.../valid_137.htm

Possoms

Sorry Phil we overlapped there!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi yes you do the skills assessment is the same its just the visa class application that is different.

Look on the DIMIA website for all the details

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski.../valid_137.htm

Possoms

Sorry Phil we overlapped there!
So then guys having strated this thread here's my summary to date:

Live in Victoria have sent me a form to complete and return to them, along with my CV, which they will process as soon as they recieve notification from the Victoria Teaching Association (I can't remember the correct title) acknowledging my status. This in itself can take time but I recently became eligible to teach (if not live) in NZ, and Aus and NZ have a reciprocal arrangement. I theory no worries but .....

They have informed me I could even start the DIMA application now (i.e run in parallel before NOOSR and STNI nomination) and then await their approval. Seems a tad presumptuous? Views?

They do however state that they will give priority to STNI applications as these are the skilled people required by that state. It has the advanatage that unlike SIR the PR is guaranteed. It may appear to take longer for some applicants but it might have taken even longer!!

Downside (possibly) is that you have to reside in Vic for two years after you migrate. I think you can validate your visa anywhere in Aus (wait to be corrected) thus a holiday in Perth would be acceptable ...

There is (it would appear) no points requirement once you have been suitably assessed which may be of interest to some.

We have to decide between applying now for STNI or waiting for my wife to have worked for 12 months in 24 (5 points) and a $100,000 bond (5 points). The first option would be easier (Possibly)!

Good luck

Bezza